IDE recommendations for YUI, Ajax, PHP, MySQL project?

  • Ted Nienstedt
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 17, 2008
      Hi all:
      I work for a small startup with a small budget. I'm embarking on
      making a sophisticated web app for internal use. I'm currently
      convinced about using YUI, CSS Ajax, PHP and MySQL. I've used PHP,
      Javascript, and MySQL before and hacked my own HTML and CSS. I want
      to be more productive for my next project and I'm trying to decide
      whether to use an IDE including whether to use a free or commercial
      one. Any advice for specific IDEs would be most appreciated.

      Should I just bite the bullet and purchase the "dream tool"
      Dreamweaver CS3? Is that the "dream tool"?

      thanks,
      Ted
    • Thomas Koch
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 17, 2008
        Am Dienstag 17 Juni 2008 16:07:49 schrieb Ted Nienstedt:
        > Hi all:
        > I work for a small startup with a small budget. I'm embarking on
        > making a sophisticated web app for internal use. I'm currently
        > convinced about using YUI, CSS Ajax, PHP and MySQL. I've used PHP,
        > Javascript, and MySQL before and hacked my own HTML and CSS. I want
        > to be more productive for my next project and I'm trying to decide
        > whether to use an IDE including whether to use a free or commercial
        > one. Any advice for specific IDEs would be most appreciated.
        >
        > Should I just bite the bullet and purchase the "dream tool"
        > Dreamweaver CS3? Is that the "dream tool"?
        >
        > thanks,
        > Ted

        Use VIM ( http://www.vim.org ). You need one day of training to get used to it
        and to make a basic configuration.

        Afterwards you can adapt VIM to everything you want and any programming
        language.

        See this two block posts from me to get only a first impression of the
        capabilities for PHP programming:

        http://www.koch.ro/blog/index.php?/archives/77-Firefox,-VIM,-Xdebug-Jumping-to-the-error-line..html
        http://www.koch.ro/blog/index.php?/archives/63-VIM-an-a-PHP-IDE.html

        If you have any question I'd love to evangelize you :-)

        Best regards,
        --
        Thomas Koch, Software Developer
        http://www.koch.ro

        Young Media Concepts GmbH
        Sonnenstr. 4
        CH-8280 Kreuzlingen
        Switzerland

        Tel +41 (0)71 / 508 24 86
        Fax +41 (0)71 / 560 53 89
        Mobile +49 (0)170 / 753 89 16
        Web www.ymc.ch
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 17, 2008
          I cannot recommend it since I don't use IDEs, so just for the record, Aptana
          has been mentioned several times in this list:

          http://aptana.com/studio

          Aptana comes with a plugin for Eclipse if you are willing to try to
          configure all that and make it work! I couldn't but, as I said, I am not
          passionate about IDEs so I didn't put much effort into it. When Eclipse
          comes with something as simple as Ubuntu provided to Linux, I'll be happy to
          try it again.

          I use plain Notepad++ (http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/) ++, the last
          two + signs just bits and pieces from here and there.

          > I work for a small startup with a small budget. I'm embarking on
          > making a sophisticated web app for internal use. I'm currently
          > convinced about using YUI, CSS Ajax, PHP and MySQL. I've used PHP,
          > Javascript, and MySQL before and hacked my own HTML and CSS. I want
          > to be more productive for my next project and I'm trying to decide
          > whether to use an IDE including whether to use a free or commercial
          > one. Any advice for specific IDEs would be most appreciated.
          >
          > Should I just bite the bullet and purchase the "dream tool"
          > Dreamweaver CS3? Is that the "dream tool"?
          >
          > thanks,
          > Ted

          7:20
        • timalmdal
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 17, 2008
            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Nienstedt"
            <tednien2001@...> wrote:

            > Hi all:
            > I work for a small startup with a small budget. I'm embarking on
            > making a sophisticated web app for internal use. I'm currently
            > convinced about using YUI, CSS Ajax, PHP and MySQL. I've used PHP,
            > Javascript, and MySQL before and hacked my own HTML and CSS. I want
            > to be more productive for my next project and I'm trying to decide
            > whether to use an IDE including whether to use a free or commercial
            > one. Any advice for specific IDEs would be most appreciated.
            >
            > Should I just bite the bullet and purchase the "dream tool"
            > Dreamweaver CS3? Is that the "dream tool"?
            >
            > thanks,
            > Ted

            Hi Ted,

            I'm one of the core developers of the open source Gallery2 project
            (http://gallery.menalto.com). It is developed in PHP; uses CSS, YUI
            and supports a variety of databases (MySQL, DB2, Oracle, MSSQL,
            PostgreSQL and SQLite).

            Some of the developers use VIM and several of the developers (myself
            included) use Eclipse PDT (http://www.eclipse.org/pdt/). Doing a
            search on "Gallery2 codex eclipse" or "Gallery2 codex vim" will give
            you some links that could help you set up your environment which ever
            way you go.

            Hope that helps
            Tim
          • Todd Whiteman
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 17, 2008
              Ted Nienstedt wrote:

              > Hi all:
              > I work for a small startup with a small budget. I'm embarking on
              > making a sophisticated web app for internal use. I'm currently
              > convinced about using YUI, CSS Ajax, PHP and MySQL. I've used PHP,
              > Javascript, and MySQL before and hacked my own HTML and CSS. I want
              > to be more productive for my next project and I'm trying to decide
              > whether to use an IDE including whether to use a free or commercial
              > one. Any advice for specific IDEs would be most appreciated.
              >
              > Should I just bite the bullet and purchase the "dream tool"
              > Dreamweaver CS3? Is that the "dream tool"?

              You might take a look at Komodo Edit:
              http://www.activestate.com/Products/komodo_ide/komodo_edit.mhtml

              It is a free editor that provides good support for PHP, JavaScript, CSS,
              HTML and other dynamic languages (code completions, function calltips,
              syntax checking and verification etc...). It also includes an API
              catalog to support YUI JavaScript development. There is also a MySQL
              console extension for easily running sql statements.

              Note: I'm a developer for ActiveState/Komodo, so granted I'm somewhat
              biased :D

              Cheers,
              Todd
            • Bryce Fischer
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 17, 2008
                On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Todd Whiteman <toddw@...> wrote:
                > Ted Nienstedt wrote:
                >>

                >> Hi all:
                >> I work for a small startup with a small budget. I'm embarking on
                >> making a sophisticated web app for internal use. I'm currently
                >> convinced about using YUI, CSS Ajax, PHP and MySQL. I've used PHP,
                >> Javascript, and MySQL before and hacked my own HTML and CSS. I want
                >> to be more productive for my next project and I'm trying to decide
                >> whether to use an IDE including whether to use a free or commercial
                >> one. Any advice for specific IDEs would be most appreciated.
                >>
                >> Should I just bite the bullet and purchase the "dream tool"
                >> Dreamweaver CS3? Is that the "dream tool"?

                I have a preference for Aptana mentioned up in the thread. But none of
                them really give you more than just a glorified text editor. Aptana
                will have some code completion type stuff that can be helpful. But
                technically, your favorite text editor should be enough.

                Dreamweaver CS3? Its a good tool. But its not going to provide you
                much help with regards to YUI or MySQL.
              • ajaxgames
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 17, 2008
                  Since I also use Java, I use Netbeans IDE. Recently they released an
                  Early Access PHP edition. They have Javascript (there was actually a
                  demo on the YUI blog), CSS, HTML and SQL support. You can manage
                  connections to the DB and run queries. The PHP support is not yet
                  perfect and the rest are not exceptional in quality or anything but
                  they are OK plus I like Source Control feature (CVS/Subversion), not
                  sure which of the other tools support that but if you are using
                  source control it's nice to have support from your editor. It not
                  only allows you to commit, revert, diff etc but also highlights which
                  lines where added, changed or removed since last commit.

                  --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Bryce Fischer" <bryce@...>
                  wrote:

                  > On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Todd Whiteman <toddw@...> wrote:
                  > > Ted Nienstedt wrote:
                  > >>

                  > >> Hi all:
                  > >> I work for a small startup with a small budget. I'm embarking on
                  > >> making a sophisticated web app for internal use. I'm currently
                  > >> convinced about using YUI, CSS Ajax, PHP and MySQL. I've used
                  PHP,
                  > >> Javascript, and MySQL before and hacked my own HTML and CSS. I
                  want
                  > >> to be more productive for my next project and I'm trying to
                  decide
                  > >> whether to use an IDE including whether to use a free or
                  commercial
                  > >> one. Any advice for specific IDEs would be most appreciated.
                  > >>
                  > >> Should I just bite the bullet and purchase the "dream tool"
                  > >> Dreamweaver CS3? Is that the "dream tool"?
                  >
                  > I have a preference for Aptana mentioned up in the thread. But none
                  of
                  > them really give you more than just a glorified text editor. Aptana
                  > will have some code completion type stuff that can be helpful. But
                  > technically, your favorite text editor should be enough.
                  >
                  > Dreamweaver CS3? Its a good tool. But its not going to provide you
                  > much help with regards to YUI or MySQL.

                • Nino Paolo
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 17, 2008
                    you can use: notepad! hehehe but I recommend to use ZEND, Frontpage,
                    or Dreamweaver. It's up to you.
                  • wally.ritchie
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 17, 2008
                      <tednien2001@...> wrote:

                      > Hi all:
                      > I work for a small startup with a small budget. I'm embarking on
                      > making a sophisticated web app for internal use. I'm currently
                      > convinced about using YUI, CSS Ajax, PHP and MySQL. I've used PHP,
                      > Javascript, and MySQL before and hacked my own HTML and CSS. I want
                      > to be more productive for my next project and I'm trying to decide
                      > whether to use an IDE including whether to use a free or commercial
                      > one. Any advice for specific IDEs would be most appreciated.
                      >
                      > Should I just bite the bullet and purchase the "dream tool"
                      > Dreamweaver CS3? Is that the "dream tool"?
                      >
                      > thanks,
                      > Ted

                      Another (biased) poster recommended Komodo Edit and I would add an
                      unbiased recommendation to that. I've been using it for about month
                      for html, js, css, YUI, python, C and text files etc. It has good
                      features for editing remote files via sFTP and makes it easy to write
                      well-formed code for almost any language. Definitely worth a look.

                      You'll of course want firebug. And on the server site you can't beat
                      installing a centos 4.x or 5.x in a vmware virtual machine as a test
                      server.

                      Even in a small startup you should ask the question "who will maintain
                      this when you're gone and with what tools?". Getting your tool chain
                      right is often a critical step. CS3 is a very powerful suite but you
                      might not want to get married to it at this stage.

                      Remember - one persons dream can be another's nightmare!
                    • George
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 18, 2008
                        I'm another proponent of Eclipse with Aptana. The Pro studio version
                        also provides SFTP as well as YUI code completion along with the PHP
                        and other code insight.

                        One thing I really enjoy about Eclipse is the SVN integration - as
                        it's fairly seamless.

                        As you're building the project - if you're going to be dealing with
                        error tickets and milestone/project work I can highly recommend
                        Assembla - www.assembla.com - as being a good tool to help with your
                        project management. I've been really enjoying working with my
                        projects on their site.

                        George

                        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "wally.ritchie"
                        <wally.ritchie@...> wrote:

                        > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Nienstedt"
                        > <tednien2001@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi all:
                        > > I work for a small startup with a small budget. I'm embarking on
                        > > making a sophisticated web app for internal use. I'm currently
                        > > convinced about using YUI, CSS Ajax, PHP and MySQL. I've used PHP,
                        > > Javascript, and MySQL before and hacked my own HTML and CSS. I want
                        > > to be more productive for my next project and I'm trying to decide
                        > > whether to use an IDE including whether to use a free or commercial
                        > > one. Any advice for specific IDEs would be most appreciated.
                        > >
                        > > Should I just bite the bullet and purchase the "dream tool"
                        > > Dreamweaver CS3? Is that the "dream tool"?
                        > >
                        > > thanks,
                        > > Ted
                        > >

                        > Another (biased) poster recommended Komodo Edit and I would add an
                        > unbiased recommendation to that. I've been using it for about month
                        > for html, js, css, YUI, python, C and text files etc. It has good
                        > features for editing remote files via sFTP and makes it easy to write
                        > well-formed code for almost any language. Definitely worth a look.
                        >
                        > You'll of course want firebug. And on the server site you can't beat
                        > installing a centos 4.x or 5.x in a vmware virtual machine as a test
                        > server.
                        >
                        > Even in a small startup you should ask the question "who will maintain
                        > this when you're gone and with what tools?". Getting your tool chain
                        > right is often a critical step. CS3 is a very powerful suite but you
                        > might not want to get married to it at this stage.
                        >
                        > Remember - one persons dream can be another's nightmare!

                      • alexfstab
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 6, 2008
                          I used to develop my webapps with Dreamweaver. And can say that it's
                          great for developing PHP-MySql websites. It has tons of helpful (and
                          not helpful) extensions, for example Developer Toolbox and even has
                          inbuilt AJAX lib – Spry (and accordingly there are features which
                          accelerate AJAX development if Spry is ok for you).
                          But I needed YUI and secondly - a tool to debug scripts, especially JS.
                          Another complication is that currently I'm using comparatively low-end
                          PC - a netbook MSI-Wind with 2 Gb ram...
                          So I spent few days playing with various IDEs (actually most of them
                          were listed in the topic).
                          My conclusion is that all Eclipse based IDEs is still buggy when
                          coding JS (I tried Aptana, PDT, myEclipse and clean Eclipse with
                          various mods). Same for Komodo.
                          None of them gave me working as intended auto-completition feature for
                          YUI.
                          I've ended up with PHPed. It's great for highlighting and can natively
                          debugs PHP. Also sometimes it helps to catch a JavaScript error.
                          Just as Dreamweaver PHPed is stable. And fast even on my laptop.
                          Couple of Firefox extensions which I use daily: Firebug, Webdeveloper,
                          HttpFox.
                          But frankly still I cannot say that found a solution which increases a
                          lot my development process. Actually a lot of features that could help
                          JS development are still missing (or not working properly) in all of
                          them. So I'm still interested in getting a better one.