Extjs are they legally using YUI code?

  • flexidx503
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 10, 2008
      I am not a lawyer and don't fully understand the open source licenses,
      but extjs recently changed their license from LGPL to GPL, fine.

      But in looking through the 2.1 source code they are still using code
      borrowed from Yahoo YUI BSD code, can they legally license Yahoo's BSD
      code and place in a GPL'd package?

      Found in their package (and they don't include the full Yahoo license
      text)
      /source/adapter/ext-base.js
      /source/adapter/yui-bridge.js
      /source/core/EventManager.js
      /source/dd/DDCore.js

      If not how do I go about notifying yahoo of this? The creator of extjs
      is here http://profiles.yahoo.com/jack.slocum
    • flexidx503
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 10, 2008
        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "flexidx503" <flexidx503@...>
        wrote:

        > I am not a lawyer and don't fully understand the open source
        licenses,
        > but extjs recently changed their license from LGPL to GPL, fine.
        >
        > But in looking through the 2.1 source code they are still using
        code
        > borrowed from Yahoo YUI BSD code, can they legally license Yahoo's
        BSD
        > code and place in a GPL'd package?
        >
        > Found in their package (and they don't include the full Yahoo
        license
        > text)
        > /source/adapter/ext-base.js
        > /source/adapter/yui-bridge.js
        > /source/core/EventManager.js
        > /source/dd/DDCore.js
        >
        > If not how do I go about notifying yahoo of this? The creator of
        extjs
        > is here http://profiles.yahoo.com/jack.slocum

        forgot to ask the other question they sell a commercial license can
        they sell a commercial license to code that Yahoo wrote and licensed
        under BSD?
      • Eric Miraglia
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 10, 2008
          flexidx503,

          The BSD license permits liberal reuse, including reuse in commercial software.

          Redistributing YUI code in any form without including the license text is not permitted under the terms of the license.

          Regardless of the terms under which ExtJS license its product, you will always be able to download YUI and use it under the terms of the BSD license.

          Regards,
          Eric

          Eric Miraglia
          Yahoo! User Interface Library

          wrote:

          > I am not a lawyer and don't fully understand the open source
          licenses,
          > but extjs recently changed their license from LGPL to GPL, fine.
          >
          > But in looking through the 2.1 source code they are still using
          code
          > borrowed from Yahoo YUI BSD code, can they legally license Yahoo's
          BSD
          > code and place in a GPL'd package?
          >
          > Found in their package (and they don't include the full Yahoo
          license
          > text)
          > /source/adapter/ ext-base. js
          > /source/adapter/ yui-bridge. js
          > /source/core/ EventManager. js
          > /source/dd/DDCore. js
          >
          > If not how do I go about notifying yahoo of this? The creator of
          extjs
          > is here http://profiles. yahoo.com/ jack.slocum

          forgot to ask the other question they sell a commercial license can
          they sell a commercial license to code that Yahoo wrote and licensed
          under BSD?

        • claudebetancourt
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 10, 2008
            You'd make a pretty crummy lawyer anyway.

            All you have to do is open the file /adapter/yui/yui-utilities.js to
            see this:

            /*
            Copyright (c) 2007, Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
            Code licensed under the BSD License:
            http://developer.yahoo.net/yui/license.txt
            version: 2.4.1
            */

            In DDCore.js you would have seen:

            /*
            * These classes are derivatives of the similarly named classes in the
            YUI Library.
            * The original license:
            * Copyright (c) 2006, Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
            * Code licensed under the BSD License:
            * http://developer.yahoo.net/yui/license.txt
            */

            The other two files are Ext's own, not YUI's...

            Get a life.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 11, 2008
              Eric, thank you for the explanation. claudebetancourt you get a
              life, asked a simple question and got a simple answer. I would make a
              crummy lawyer since I did not study to be one. Face to face you
              probably quiver around people, but come online and act all tough...