2Gb limit a problem. Can/will the YUI Uploader support FTP protocol?

  • dsmith21401
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2008
      I really need a lightweight application that supports file
      uploads over 2Gb via a web browser. Since it seems browsers are
      limited to 2Gb (regardless of underlying architecture...unless someone
      can prove me wrong?), then FTP seems to be the only way to go.

      Why doesn't the Uploader support FTP protocol, or can it even?

      I have seen a couple Java applets that integrate with web pages to do
      FTP in a single, seamless environment, but I need something less heavy
      and was hoping for an Ajax-type solution.

      In the event the YUI uploader can't do FTP, does anyone know if regular
      Ajax supports FTP with a progress meter? I don't need everybody to
      input their own FTP account info. I have a single FTP account I want
      to hard-code into the application that accepts the large file transfers.

      Thanks in advance for any ideas!
    • starvingprogrammer
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2008
        I've never used the YUI uploader, but I am aware that PHP doesn't work
        with files larger than 2 GB. This is expected to be fixed in version
        5.3 (http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=27792). Also, Apache started
        supporting files > 2 GB in version 2.2
        (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/new_features_2_2.html). I'd rule out
        the YUI uploader by ensuring that your server can accept uploads over 2
        GB via the Web server. Try a simple html form upload with Perl,
        Python, etc. If that works then try hooking the YUI uploader to that.
        Otherwise, an alternative to Java applets could be some Firefox add-on
        FTP client.

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "dsmith21401" <dc_webmastr@...>

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 11, 2008
          I have researched this exhaustively, and the final answer is: it's a
          browser limitation. By default Flash is a 32-bit program, so it can't
          handle anything over 32-bit. While I understand there are server
          controls that limit file uploads, the buck ultimiately stops with the
          browser. Until we are all talking 64-bit to each other, then using a
          Java applet to "chunk" files and reassemble them on the back-end is
          going to be my approach. FTP is not an option for me (it's a gov't
          thing).