RE: [ydn-javascript] Panel: mac firefox scrolling issue

  • Satyen Desai
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2008
      Sorry about the delayed response - Do you have a page I can look at? Is the modal mask or fixedcenter set?

      - Satyen

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
        It was the modal mask. I disabled the modal mask and the panels
        worked just great. I would love to have the modal mask working as the
        panels should be modal, but I have to have this app working on mac
        firefox too. I don't have any hosting anywhere, but if you just make
        a modal panel and ajax load the body as 500 <br> or something
        definitely larger than the viewport you'll see the issue.

        Thanks-
        Jeremy

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
          So I've tested this on multiple mac machines now and the problem is
          still persisting. I thought I was able to get rid of it by disabling
          modality, but unfortunately this did not. The problem is still there.
          Unfortunately I am on a very tight time crunch and I really need to
          get this solved in the next couple days, so if anyone can spare a few
          minutes to help me here I would appreciate it so much.

          Here's the detail of the issue again.

          A panel in mac firefox that has content loaded into it such that it
          extends past the bottom of the current viewport will not be able to
          see the content in the bottom of the panel. When the page is scrolled
          to see the rest of the panel content the panel just wraps the last
          20-50 pixels over and over again. This happens especially with a
          datatable or an editor in a panel. Works fine on IE 6 and 7, Firefox
          2 and 3 on linux and windows, but not mac firefox 2 (haven't tested 3).

          Thanks again-
          Jeremy

          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jeremymefford"

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
            Hey Jeremy,

            I was able to reproduce your problem on FF2/Mac (not on FF3/Mac or any other F2/3 on Windows). It took some time to track down the root issue - was chasing a couple of red-herrings around window scroll events.

            The issue is that FF2 on the Mac is buggy when rendering large, partially opaque elements, with overflow set to auto. Here's a basic repro case:

            http://yuiblog.com/sandbox/yui/v252/examples/container/ff2MacBug.html

            The modal mask and the underlay/shadow element used for Panel, both have these characteristics (partial opacity and overflow:auto) - the mask is large to begin with, additionally the underlay/shadow element can get large, when the panel gets to be too large.

            Setting overflow:hidden for both these elements - the mask and the underlay fixes the issue. However both these elements are set to overflow:auto on FF2/Mac to protect any scrollbars underneath the mask/panel from bleeding through (another FF2/Mac bug).

            If you don't have anything with scrollbars on the page, this would be the best option to workaround the issue:

            .yui-skin-sam .mask.block-scrollbars {
            overflow:hidden;
            }

            .yui-skin-sam .yui-panel-container.shadow.show-scrollbars .underlay{
            overflow:hidden;
            }

            If you do have elements with scrollbars on the page, you can't use the above fix (unless you set these elements to overflow:hidden while the Panel is displayed).

            If this is the case, you could use a png with alpha transparency instead of the opacity value. Here's an example with both these fixes:

            http://yuiblog.com/sandbox/yui/v252/examples/container/largePanel.html

            I'll be evaluating an out-of-the-box fix for the next release.

            Hope that helps,
            Satyen

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
              Satyen-

              You have no idea how happy you just made me! This issue has plagued
              me since the beginning of my project four months ago. I had tried
              everything I could think of to fix it, and I had until tomorrow to get
              it done. Thanks for all of your help, I'm know this issue wasn't easy
              to track down and fix and I'm glad the fix is so easy. You're awesome
              man.