Re: YUI and Firebug

  • wrumsby
    Message 1 of 18 , May 22, 2008
      By jumping through some hoops you should be able to get Visual Web
      Developer Express - http://www.microsoft.com/express/vwd/ - up and
      running as a debugger for IE.
      Message 2 of 18 , May 23, 2008
        Can you do client debugging regardless of the web server used? It seems it
        expects an ASP.NET environment. If so, can you tell which hoops you had to
        jump through?

        > By jumping through some hoops you should be able to get Visual Web
        > Developer Express - http://www.microsoft.com/express/vwd/ - up and
        > running as a debugger for IE.

        7:06
      • Bryce Fischer
        Message 3 of 18 , May 23, 2008
          On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 3:53 AM, Satyam <satyam@...> wrote:
          > Can you do client debugging regardless of the web server used? It seems it
          > expects an ASP.NET environment. If so, can you tell which hoops you had to
          > jump through?

          There's the developer's toolbar which is ok, but when you are used to FireBug...

          There's also the IE Script Debugger. I think it comes with one of the
          flavors of Visual Studio. Again, when you are used to Firebug...
        • sn_foo
          Message 4 of 18 , May 23, 2008
            I'm using it and prefer it for IE over the crappy free MS debugger. It
            doesn't matter which web server. VDWE starts its own web server
            locally, but you don't need to care about it. Actually there are not
            many hoops.

            After installing VDWE, create an empty web site-
            File->New website->Empty website
            Click on new create website, click on on the green arrow debugging
            button under Help. It will start its own asp.net web server and invoke
            a new IE window.

            Type in the IE window the url you want to debug. It will jump into the
            debugger interface if it encounters an error or debugger; js instruction.

            > Can you do client debugging regardless of the web server used? It
            seems it
            > expects an ASP.NET environment. If so, can you tell which hoops you
            had to
            > jump through?
            >
            > Satyam

            22/05/2008

            Message 5 of 18 , May 24, 2008
              It works, quite simple to set up, thank you.

              > I'm using it and prefer it for IE over the crappy free MS debugger. It
              > doesn't matter which web server. VDWE starts its own web server
              > locally, but you don't need to care about it. Actually there are not
              > many hoops.
              >
              > After installing VDWE, create an empty web site-
              > File->New website->Empty website
              > Click on new create website, click on on the green arrow debugging
              > button under Help. It will start its own asp.net web server and invoke
              > a new IE window.
              >
              > Type in the IE window the url you want to debug. It will jump into the
              > debugger interface if it encounters an error or debugger; js instruction.
              >

              > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Satyam" <satyam@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Can you do client debugging regardless of the web server used? It
              > seems it
              >> expects an ASP.NET environment. If so, can you tell which hoops you
              > had to
              >> jump through?
              >>
              >> Satyam

              15:36
            • ajaxgames
              Message 6 of 18 , May 24, 2008
                Apologies if this is the wrong place to post, but I I have the
                following problem with firebug (v1.05), it does not seem to flag some
                javascript errors, the Console tab is silent. This seems to be the
                case when the error happens in an inner function, or event callback
                or something like that but I think it should still be flagged. You
                can see that an error does occur if you surround it with try/catch.

                Thank you!

                > It works, quite simple to set up, thank you.
                >
                > Satyam

                23/05/2008

                Message 7 of 18 , May 24, 2008
                  In the Script tag, there is an Options dropdown menu on the right hand of
                  the tab title bar. You can check the Break on All Errors option there and
                  it will stop inside try-catch blocks

                  > Apologies if this is the wrong place to post, but I I have the
                  > following problem with firebug (v1.05), it does not seem to flag some
                  > javascript errors, the Console tab is silent. This seems to be the
                  > case when the error happens in an inner function, or event callback
                  > or something like that but I think it should still be flagged. You
                  > can see that an error does occur if you surround it with try/catch.
                  >
                  > Thank you!
                  >
                  > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Satyam" <satyam@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> It works, quite simple to set up, thank you.
                  >>
                  >> Satyam

                  15:36
                • ajaxgames
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 25, 2008
                    Thank you,

                    That does help, though this is not reported in the typical way in
                    the "Console" tab with the stack trace and error description, but
                    highlighting the error is good enough.

                    Btw, I had no try/catch blocks in my code, I only added them later
                    when my code was not working and firefox not complaining and I
                    suspected some part of the code. Does this mean thay YUI has
                    try/catch blocks when calling event callbacks or some other
                    indirectly exectuted code?

                    Thanks again!

                    Date:

                    > > 23/05/2008
                    > >> 15:36

                    23/05/2008

                    Message 9 of 18 , May 25, 2008
                      From: "ajaxgames" <ajaxgames@...>

                      > Thank you,
                      >
                      > That does help, though this is not reported in the typical way in
                      > the "Console" tab with the stack trace and error description, but
                      > highlighting the error is good enough.
                      >
                      > Btw, I had no try/catch blocks in my code, I only added them later
                      > when my code was not working and firefox not complaining and I
                      > suspected some part of the code. Does this mean thay YUI has
                      > try/catch blocks when calling event callbacks or some other
                      > indirectly exectuted code?

                      Yes it does, not specifically enclosing callbacks but it has some try-catch
                      blocks here and there.

                      Satyam

                      > Thanks again!
                      >

                      > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Satyam" <satyam@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> In the Script tag, there is an Options dropdown menu on the right
                      > hand of
                      >> the tab title bar. You can check the Break on All Errors option
                      > there and
                      >> it will stop inside try-catch blocks
                      >>
                      >> Satyam

                      8:56
                    • dietrich.frank
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 1, 2008
                        > I'm using it and prefer it for IE over the crappy free MS debugger. It
                        > doesn't matter which web server. VDWE starts its own web server
                        > locally, but you don't need to care about it. Actually there are not
                        > many hoops.
                        >
                        > After installing VDWE, create an empty web site-
                        > File->New website->Empty website
                        > Click on new create website, click on on the green arrow debugging
                        > button under Help. It will start its own asp.net web server and invoke
                        > a new IE window.
                        >
                        > Type in the IE window the url you want to debug. It will jump into the
                        > debugger interface if it encounters an error or debugger; js
                        instruction.

                        But, as we are used from MS now, the download and installation is
                        huuuuuge. FireBug was installed within a snap. VDWE calls for a 123MB
                        download and 1.4GB free Diskspace
                      • raul_p0pescu
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 1, 2008
                          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "dietrich.frank"
                          <fdietrich@...> wrote:

                          > > I'm using it and prefer it for IE over the crappy free MS debugger. It
                          > > doesn't matter which web server. VDWE starts its own web server
                          > > locally, but you don't need to care about it. Actually there are not
                          > > many hoops.
                          > >
                          > > After installing VDWE, create an empty web site-
                          > > File->New website->Empty website
                          > > Click on new create website, click on on the green arrow debugging
                          > > button under Help. It will start its own asp.net web server and invoke
                          > > a new IE window.
                          > >
                          > > Type in the IE window the url you want to debug. It will jump into the
                          > > debugger interface if it encounters an error or debugger; js
                          > instruction.
                          > >

                          > But, as we are used from MS now, the download and installation is
                          > huuuuuge. FireBug was installed within a snap. VDWE calls for a 123MB
                          > download and 1.4GB free Diskspace

                          Guys, can you help me get VDWE? I tried searching on google, but
                          nothing relevant!
                          Thanks!
                        • Frank Dietrich
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 2, 2008

                            >Guys, can you help me get VDWE? I tried searching on google, but
                            >nothing relevant!
                            >Thanks!

                            it's in this thread. See: