YUI and Firebug

  • Jesse
    Message 1 of 18 , May 22, 2008
      Anyone have any luck using Firefox / Firebug plugin to watch variables
      and debug your YUI code?
      Message 2 of 18 , May 22, 2008
        Most of us probably do. No luck required, it just works nicely. Actually,
        it is my preferred platform for testing, there is nothing better. I hate
        when I find something that doesn't work in IE and have to use their
        debugger.

        > Anyone have any luck using Firefox / Firebug plugin to watch variables
        > and debug your YUI code?

        17:34
      • Gopal Venkatesan
        Message 3 of 18 , May 22, 2008
          "Satyam" <satyam@...> writes:

          > Most of us probably do. No luck required, it just works nicely. Actually,
          > it is my preferred platform for testing, there is nothing better. I hate
          > when I find something that doesn't work in IE and have to use their
          > debugger.

          For the benefit of others too, the following tools can be used in each of the
          major browsers:

          1. Firebug with Firefox (its the best)

          2. MS Script Editor (that comes with MS Office) for IE
          you could also use MS Script Debugger (free download)

          3. Opera doesn't have anything good, but you can use opera.postError(msg) to
          print custom messages into its Error console.

          4. Drosera doesn't seem to work for me on Safari 3.1, so I use
          window.console.log(msg) to print messages to its JavaScript Console.
          --
          Gopal Venkatesan
          http://gopalarathnam.com/
          Message 4 of 18 , May 22, 2008
            On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Gopal Venkatesan
            <gopal@...> wrote:
            > "Satyam" <satyam@...> writes:
            >
            >> Most of us probably do. No luck required, it just works nicely. Actually,
            >> it is my preferred platform for testing, there is nothing better. I hate
            >> when I find something that doesn't work in IE and have to use their
            >> debugger.

            > 3. Opera doesn't have anything good, but you can use opera.postError(msg) to
            > print custom messages into its Error console.

            Not entirely true. There's Opera DragonFly:
            http://www.opera.com/products/dragonfly/
          • Gopal Venkatesan
            Message 5 of 18 , May 22, 2008
              "Bryce Fischer" <bryce@...> writes:

              > On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Gopal Venkatesan
              > <gopal@...> wrote:
              >> 3. Opera doesn't have anything good, but you can use opera.postError(msg) to
              >> print custom messages into its Error console.
              >
              > Not entirely true. There's Opera DragonFly:
              > http://www.opera.com/products/dragonfly/

              Yep, I actually meant to write Opera stable version does not have a JavaScript
              debugger. Dragonfly is quite a good debugger, not as good as Firebug since
              this doesn't allow CSS editing and also has some bugs. But this makes it a
              lot more easier to debug scripts in Opera.
              --
              Gopal Venkatesan
              http://gopalarathnam.com/
              Message 6 of 18 , May 22, 2008
                On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 5:50 PM, Gopal Venkatesan
                <gopal@...> wrote:
                > "Bryce Fischer" <bryce@...> writes:
                >
                >> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Gopal Venkatesan
                >> <gopal@...> wrote:
                >>> 3. Opera doesn't have anything good, but you can use opera.postError(msg)
                >>> print custom messages into its Error console.
                >>
                >> Not entirely true. There's Opera DragonFly:
                >> http://www.opera.com/products/dragonfly/
                >
                > Yep, I actually meant to write Opera stable version does not have a
                > JavaScript
                > debugger. Dragonfly is quite a good debugger, not as good as Firebug since
                > this doesn't allow CSS editing and also has some bugs. But this makes it a
                > lot more easier to debug scripts in Opera.

                Dragonfly looks promising, especially considering its just been
                released in Alpha. I just wish there was a good plug like Firebug for
                IE. The one's I've tried out just aren't the same.
              • wrumsby
                Message 7 of 18 , May 22, 2008
                  By jumping through some hoops you should be able to get Visual Web
                  Developer Express - http://www.microsoft.com/express/vwd/ - up and
                  running as a debugger for IE.
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 23, 2008
                    Can you do client debugging regardless of the web server used? It seems it
                    expects an ASP.NET environment. If so, can you tell which hoops you had to
                    jump through?

                    > By jumping through some hoops you should be able to get Visual Web
                    > Developer Express - http://www.microsoft.com/express/vwd/ - up and
                    > running as a debugger for IE.

                    7:06
                  • Bryce Fischer
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 23, 2008
                      On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 3:53 AM, Satyam <satyam@...> wrote:
                      > Can you do client debugging regardless of the web server used? It seems it
                      > expects an ASP.NET environment. If so, can you tell which hoops you had to
                      > jump through?

                      There's the developer's toolbar which is ok, but when you are used to FireBug...

                      There's also the IE Script Debugger. I think it comes with one of the
                      flavors of Visual Studio. Again, when you are used to Firebug...
                    • sn_foo
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 23, 2008
                        I'm using it and prefer it for IE over the crappy free MS debugger. It
                        doesn't matter which web server. VDWE starts its own web server
                        locally, but you don't need to care about it. Actually there are not
                        many hoops.

                        After installing VDWE, create an empty web site-
                        File->New website->Empty website
                        Click on new create website, click on on the green arrow debugging
                        button under Help. It will start its own asp.net web server and invoke
                        a new IE window.

                        Type in the IE window the url you want to debug. It will jump into the
                        debugger interface if it encounters an error or debugger; js instruction.

                        > Can you do client debugging regardless of the web server used? It
                        seems it
                        > expects an ASP.NET environment. If so, can you tell which hoops you
                        had to
                        > jump through?
                        >
                        > Satyam

                        22/05/2008

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 24, 2008
                          It works, quite simple to set up, thank you.

                          > I'm using it and prefer it for IE over the crappy free MS debugger. It
                          > doesn't matter which web server. VDWE starts its own web server
                          > locally, but you don't need to care about it. Actually there are not
                          > many hoops.
                          >
                          > After installing VDWE, create an empty web site-
                          > File->New website->Empty website
                          > Click on new create website, click on on the green arrow debugging
                          > button under Help. It will start its own asp.net web server and invoke
                          > a new IE window.
                          >
                          > Type in the IE window the url you want to debug. It will jump into the
                          > debugger interface if it encounters an error or debugger; js instruction.
                          >

                          > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Satyam" <satyam@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> Can you do client debugging regardless of the web server used? It
                          > seems it
                          >> expects an ASP.NET environment. If so, can you tell which hoops you
                          > had to
                          >> jump through?
                          >>
                          >> Satyam

                          15:36
                        • ajaxgames
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 24, 2008
                            Apologies if this is the wrong place to post, but I I have the
                            following problem with firebug (v1.05), it does not seem to flag some
                            javascript errors, the Console tab is silent. This seems to be the
                            case when the error happens in an inner function, or event callback
                            or something like that but I think it should still be flagged. You
                            can see that an error does occur if you surround it with try/catch.

                            Thank you!

                            > It works, quite simple to set up, thank you.
                            >
                            > Satyam

                            23/05/2008

                            Message 13 of 18 , May 24, 2008
                              In the Script tag, there is an Options dropdown menu on the right hand of
                              the tab title bar. You can check the Break on All Errors option there and
                              it will stop inside try-catch blocks

                              > Apologies if this is the wrong place to post, but I I have the
                              > following problem with firebug (v1.05), it does not seem to flag some
                              > javascript errors, the Console tab is silent. This seems to be the
                              > case when the error happens in an inner function, or event callback
                              > or something like that but I think it should still be flagged. You
                              > can see that an error does occur if you surround it with try/catch.
                              >
                              > Thank you!
                              >
                              > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Satyam" <satyam@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> It works, quite simple to set up, thank you.
                              >>
                              >> Satyam

                              15:36
                            • ajaxgames
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 25, 2008
                                Thank you,

                                That does help, though this is not reported in the typical way in
                                the "Console" tab with the stack trace and error description, but
                                highlighting the error is good enough.

                                Btw, I had no try/catch blocks in my code, I only added them later
                                when my code was not working and firefox not complaining and I
                                suspected some part of the code. Does this mean thay YUI has
                                try/catch blocks when calling event callbacks or some other
                                indirectly exectuted code?

                                Thanks again!

                                Date:

                                > > 23/05/2008
                                > >> 15:36

                                23/05/2008

                                Message 15 of 18 , May 25, 2008
                                  From: "ajaxgames" <ajaxgames@...>

                                  > Thank you,
                                  >
                                  > That does help, though this is not reported in the typical way in
                                  > the "Console" tab with the stack trace and error description, but
                                  > highlighting the error is good enough.
                                  >
                                  > Btw, I had no try/catch blocks in my code, I only added them later
                                  > when my code was not working and firefox not complaining and I
                                  > suspected some part of the code. Does this mean thay YUI has
                                  > try/catch blocks when calling event callbacks or some other
                                  > indirectly exectuted code?

                                  Yes it does, not specifically enclosing callbacks but it has some try-catch
                                  blocks here and there.

                                  Satyam

                                  > Thanks again!
                                  >

                                  > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Satyam" <satyam@...> wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> In the Script tag, there is an Options dropdown menu on the right
                                  > hand of
                                  >> the tab title bar. You can check the Break on All Errors option
                                  > there and
                                  >> it will stop inside try-catch blocks
                                  >>
                                  >> Satyam

                                  8:56
                                • dietrich.frank
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 1, 2008
                                    > I'm using it and prefer it for IE over the crappy free MS debugger. It
                                    > doesn't matter which web server. VDWE starts its own web server
                                    > locally, but you don't need to care about it. Actually there are not
                                    > many hoops.
                                    >
                                    > After installing VDWE, create an empty web site-
                                    > File->New website->Empty website
                                    > Click on new create website, click on on the green arrow debugging
                                    > button under Help. It will start its own asp.net web server and invoke
                                    > a new IE window.
                                    >
                                    > Type in the IE window the url you want to debug. It will jump into the
                                    > debugger interface if it encounters an error or debugger; js
                                    instruction.

                                    But, as we are used from MS now, the download and installation is
                                    huuuuuge. FireBug was installed within a snap. VDWE calls for a 123MB
                                    download and 1.4GB free Diskspace
                                  • raul_p0pescu
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 1, 2008
                                      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "dietrich.frank"
                                      <fdietrich@...> wrote:

                                      > > I'm using it and prefer it for IE over the crappy free MS debugger. It
                                      > > doesn't matter which web server. VDWE starts its own web server
                                      > > locally, but you don't need to care about it. Actually there are not
                                      > > many hoops.
                                      > >
                                      > > After installing VDWE, create an empty web site-
                                      > > File->New website->Empty website
                                      > > Click on new create website, click on on the green arrow debugging
                                      > > button under Help. It will start its own asp.net web server and invoke
                                      > > a new IE window.
                                      > >
                                      > > Type in the IE window the url you want to debug. It will jump into the
                                      > > debugger interface if it encounters an error or debugger; js
                                      > instruction.
                                      > >

                                      > But, as we are used from MS now, the download and installation is
                                      > huuuuuge. FireBug was installed within a snap. VDWE calls for a 123MB
                                      > download and 1.4GB free Diskspace

                                      Guys, can you help me get VDWE? I tried searching on google, but
                                      nothing relevant!
                                      Thanks!
                                    • Frank Dietrich
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 2, 2008

                                        >Guys, can you help me get VDWE? I tried searching on google, but
                                        >nothing relevant!
                                        >Thanks!

                                        it's in this thread. See: