Re: [ydn-javascript] how to make leaf nodes with TreeView.setDynamicLoad()

  • Scott Walter
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 14, 2006
      Can u share an example?

      What's an Intel chip doing in a Mac? A whole lor more that it's ever done in a PC.

      My Digital Life - http://scottwalter.com/blog
      Pro:Blog - http://scottwalter.com/problog

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 14, 2006
        It ain't pretty; but, here you go:

        <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
        href="<c:url
        value='/scripts/yahooui/treeview/examples/css/folders/tree.css'/>">

        <script type="text/javascript"
        src="<c:url
        value='/scripts/yahooui/treeview/build/YAHOO.js'/>"></script>
        <script type="text/javascript"
        src="<c:url
        value='/scripts/yahooui/treeview/build/treeview.js'/>"></script>

        <!-- Connection Manager source file -->
        <script src="<c:url
        value='/scripts/yahooui/connection/build/connection.js'/>"></script>

        <script type="text/javascript">
        var tree;
        function treeInit() {
        tree = new YAHOO.widget.TreeView("treeDiv1");
        tree.setDynamicLoad(loadDataForNode);

        var root = tree.getRoot();

        var myobj = { label: "mylabel1", id:"myid1" };
        var tmpNode = new YAHOO.widget.TextNode(myobj, root, false);

        myobj = { label: "mylabel2", id:"myid2" } ;
        var tmpNode2 = new YAHOO.widget.TextNode(myobj, tmpNode, false);

        myobj = { label: "mylabel3", id:"myid3" } ;
        var tmpNode3 = new YAHOO.widget.TextNode(myobj, tmpNode, false);

        tree.draw();
        }

        function loadDataForNode(node, onCompleteCallback)
        {
        var id = node.data.id;

        // -- code to get your data, possibly using Connect --
        var responseSuccess = function(o)
        {
        var path;
        var dirs;
        var files;
        //alert('responseSuccess: ' + o.responseXML);
        var xmlDoc = o.responseXML;
        path =
        xmlDoc.getElementsByTagName('path')[0].getAttribute('value');
        //alert(path);
        files = xmlDoc.getElementsByTagName('file');
        dirs = xmlDoc.getElementsByTagName('dir');
        for(var i = 0;i < dirs.length;i++)
        {
        var dirData = dirs[i];
        var name = dirData.getAttribute('name');
        var empty = dirData.getAttribute('empty');

        var myobj = { label: name, id: name + '_id' };
        //alert(node.data.id);

        var tmpNode = new YAHOO.widget.TextNode(myobj, node, false);
        tree.draw();
        var responseFailure = function(o){ alert('responseFailure: ' +
        o.statusText); }
        var callback =
        {
        success:responseSuccess,
        failure:responseFailure,
        };
        var cObj = YAHOO.util.Connect.asyncRequest('POST','<c:url
        value="/fileManager.html"/>',callback,'action=list&path='+id);

        // Be sure to notify the TreeView component when the data load
        is complete
        onCompleteCallback();
        }
        </script>

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Scott Walter
        <tx_scottwalter@...> wrote:

        > Can u share an example?

        > What's an Intel chip doing in a Mac? A whole lor more that it's ever
        done in a PC.

        > My Digital Life - http://scottwalter.com/blog
        > Pro:Blog - http://scottwalter.com/problog

        TreeView.setDynamicLoad()

        > Hi,
        >
        > I have got a dynamically loding tree working; but, all of the
        > dynamically loaded nodes are expandable. How do I indicate that a
        > dynamically loaded node has no children?
        >
        > Great library!
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Greg

        > C programming
        language Computer programming
        languages Java programming
        language
        The c programming language
        C programming language
        Concept of programming language

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > Visit your group "ydn-_javascript" on the web.
        Service.

      • Eric Miraglia
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 14, 2006
          Greg,

          There's no way currently to indicate that a specific child has no
          children of its own. This is something we see a need for, but we
          don't have it yet.

          One workaround for this is to use the setDynamicLoad method at the
          node level rather than at the tree level. Invoke that method for all
          nodes that either have or might have children; for those you know
          won't have children, just skip that step.

          That will result in the behavior you're looking for, I think.

          Regards,
          Eric

          On Feb 14, 2006, at 2:35 PM, ggederer wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I have got a dynamically loding tree working; but, all of the
          > dynamically loaded nodes are expandable. How do I indicate that a
          > dynamically loaded node has no children?
          >
          > Great library!
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Greg
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • ggederer
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 14, 2006
            Eric,

            Thanks for the response. The workaround you suggest is pretty good
            except that empty nodes that can have children (like empty folders in
            a file browser) render as if they, in fact, had children (little plus
            sign next to the folder.)

            Just glancing at the sources, it looks like it would be fairly easy to
            implement something like setCanHaveChildren(). Is this the approach
            you are considering? I may just do this or something similar for my
            own needs. If I do, I would be happy to send you the diffs.

            I like your library.

            Cheers,

            Greg

            > Greg,
            >
            > There's no way currently to indicate that a specific child has no
            > children of its own. This is something we see a need for, but we
            > don't have it yet.
            >
            > One workaround for this is to use the setDynamicLoad method at the
            > node level rather than at the tree level. Invoke that method for all
            > nodes that either have or might have children; for those you know
            > won't have children, just skip that step.
            >
            > That will result in the behavior you're looking for, I think.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Eric
            >

            > On Feb 14, 2006, at 2:35 PM, ggederer wrote:
            >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I have got a dynamically loding tree working; but, all of the
            > > dynamically loaded nodes are expandable. How do I indicate that a
            > > dynamically loaded node has no children?
            > >
            > > Great library!
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > >
            > > Greg
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Eric Miraglia
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 14, 2006
              Greg,

              A TextNode with no children, one on which you haven't invoked setDynamicLoad, won't display the [+].  Once a TextNode is set to load dynamically, the expand icon does persist (even when the node turns out to be childless).  This was actually an interaction design decision -- this solution either tested better or seemed more intuitive to the designers.

              It appears that you can change the behavior pretty easily by subclassing whichever node class you're using and then overriding the getStyle method in that subclass.  Look at the getStyle method in Node.js for a baseline; start with that method:

                 getStyle: function() {
                      if (this.isLoading) {
                          this.logger.debug("returning the loading icon");
                          return "ygtvloading";
                      } else {
                          // location top or bottom, middle nodes also get the top style
                          var loc = (this.nextSibling) ? "t" : "l";

                          // type p=plus(expand), m=minus(collapase), n=none(no children)
                          var type = "n";
                          if (this.hasChildren(true) || this.isDynamic()) {
                              type = (this.expanded) ? "m" : "p";
                          }

                          this.logger.debug("ygtv" + loc + type);
                          return "ygtv" + loc + type;

              Check out the line that reads  if (this.hasChildren(true) || this.isDynamic()) {; remove the conditional on this.isDynamic(), so that it evaluates only based on hasChildren().  That should get you the result you're looking for, if I understand your needs correctly.

              Good luck...let us know how it goes.

              Eric

              On Feb 14, 2006, at 4:48 PM, ggederer wrote:

[...]

            • coryrauch
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 15, 2006

                I have exactly the same issue with dynamic loading tree that displays
                [+] when there is no children. I was not able to get the desired
                affect by altering node.js, taking this.isDynamic(), out of the
                equation of getStyle. It seems also that the hasChildren function also
                takes in to consideration if the tree is dynamic and alot of function
                base there behavior on that function. So I tried the other method
                suggested of doing a dynamic load at the node level and that works
                very well. I figured I would share a code example. The only thing with
                this is you have to code in additional logic on you backend code to
                determine when to allow expanding or not. Example below:

                // Set up the tree
                var tree;
                tree = new YAHOO.widget.TreeView("treecontainer");
                var root = tree.getRoot();

                // Start adding nodes
                var treeOptions = new Array();

                // Our first node will be expandable
                var data = { id: "node1", label: "One" }
                data = new YAHOO.widget.TextNode(data, root, false);

                /* Since its expandable we add the DynamicLoad handler on. This
                *function should work just as a tree dynamic load handler.
                */
                data.setDynamicLoad(treeLoadData);
                treeOptions.push(data);

                // Our second node is not expandable
                var data = { id: "node2", label: "Two" }
                data = new YAHOO.widget.TextNode(data, root, false);
                // No dynamic load handler added.
                treeOptions.push(data);
                tree.draw();

                Hopefully this helps. This is a great widget, and thank Yahoo for
                providing it.

                Best Regards,

                Cory Rauch
                cory@...
                www.sysbotz.com

> [...]
                > > you are considering? I may just do this or something similar for my
                > > own needs. If I do, I would be happy to send you the diffs.
                > >
                > > I like your library.
                > >
                > > Cheers,
                > >
                > > Greg
                > >
                > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Eric Miraglia <miraglia@>
                > > wrote:
                > >>
                > >> Greg,
                > >>
                > >> There's no way currently to indicate that a specific child has no
                > >> children of its own. This is something we see a need for, but we
                > >> don't have it yet.
                > >>
                > >> One workaround for this is to use the setDynamicLoad method at the
                > >> node level rather than at the tree level. Invoke that method for all
                > >> nodes that either have or might have children; for those you know
                > >> won't have children, just skip that step.
                > >>
                > >> That will result in the behavior you're looking for, I think.

              • ggederer
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 15, 2006
                  Hi Cory,

                  Thanks for the response.  I think this is going to be a great community.

                  After looking at Eric's suggestion, I've decided that what I really need is a specialized RemoteFileNode type with an isDirectory() method and a hasRemoteChildren() method.  Looking at Node.getStyle() . . .

                      /**
                       * Returns the css style name for the toggle
                       *
                       * @return {string} the css class for this node's toggle
                       */
                      getStyle: function() {
                          if (this.isLoading) {
                              this.logger.debug("returning the loading icon");
                              return "ygtvloading";
                          } else {
                              // location top or bottom, middle nodes also get the top style
                              var loc = (this.nextSibling) ? "t" : "l";

                              // type p=plus(expand), m=minus(collapase), n=none(no children)
                              var type = "n";
                              if (this.hasChildren(true) || this.isDynamic()) {
                                  type = (this.expanded) ? "m" : "p";
                              }

                              this.logger.debug("ygtv" + loc + type);
                              return "ygtv" + loc + type;
                          }
                      },

                  I see that my only choices are a parent that has children (which may either be expanded or collapsed), or a leaf node.  What I need is a parent node that doesn't have children, but can have children; and a parent node that has children, even though they're not loaded from the server yet.

                  In order to achieve this, I'll have to create couple of new tokens (in addition to "p", "m" and "n", above), and I'll have to produce some code to interpret the new tokens (not sure where I do that yet.)

                  I think this approach makes sense, and that a remote asset browser is a common enough use case to warrant this work.  Comments?

                  Cheers,

                  Greg

                  --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "coryrauch" <coryrauch@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > this.isDynamic()) {; remove the conditional on this.isDynamic(), so
                  > > that it evaluates only based on hasChildren(). That should get you
                  > > the result you're looking for, if I understand your needs correctly.
                  > >
                  > > Good luck...let us know how it goes.
                  > >
                  > > Eric
                  > >

                  > > On Feb 14, 2006, at 4:48 PM, ggederer wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Eric,
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks for the response. The workaround you suggest is pretty good
                  > > > except that empty nodes that can have children (like empty folders in
                  > > > a file browser) render as if they, in fact, had children (little plus
                  > > > sign next to the folder.)
                  > > >
                  > > > Just glancing at the sources, it looks like it would be fairly easy to
                  > > > implement something like setCanHaveChildren(). Is this the approach
                  > > > you are considering? I may just do this or something similar for my
                  > > > own needs. If I do, I would be happy to send you the diffs.

                • mpechner
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 15, 2006
                    Set dynamic load on each treenode that should expand instead of the tree.

                    The treenodes without the dynamic load method set will be leafs.

                    --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "ggederer" <ggederer@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > I have got a dynamically loding tree working; but, all of the
                    > dynamically loaded nodes are expandable. How do I indicate that a
                    > dynamically loaded node has no children?
                    >
                    > Great library!
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    >
                    > Gre
                  • Chun
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 10 1:45 PM
                      Greg,

                      I had the same problem a week ago. But I soon replied to my original
                      post with a solution.
                      the whole tree to be dynamically loaded, you won't be able to turn it
                      off on any of its nodes. Instead, you don't set it on the top level,
                      but only set it on nodes that are expandable.

                      Chun
                      p.s. Thanks to David who also replied to my post with a similar solution.