Pipes and YUI

  • Behrang Saeedzadeh
    Message 1 of 4 , May 13, 2008
      Hi all,

      I have to create an application for a manufacturing company that
      basically will let customers to drag and drop items on a canvas and
      then configure those items and later on he/she can order the
      configuration.

      It is somehow more complicated than this but I essentially need a
      JavaScript library that gives me the basic functionality, which is
      very similar to Yahoo Pipes. The app has to be viewable on IE,
      Firefox, and Safari.

      Does Yahoo UI contain components suitable for creating such an app? Or
      is the GUI library behind Yahoo Pipes' available for use in custom
      apps? If not, any ideas what open-source libraries can be helpful?

      Regards,
      Behrang
    • Eric Miraglia
      Message 2 of 4 , May 13, 2008
        Behrang,

        The Pipes UI layer was built using YUI by a Yahoo engineer named Jonathan Trevor.  The Pipes-specific code has never been released as open-source, however, and Yahoo retains that intellectual property.

        Because you're doing this for a client, the lack of a clear license for that Pipes code is probably a showstopper.  I don't know of any other libraries that have a similar "wiring" widget.  There is one library that specifically emulates Pipes, but it appears to be a direct derivation of the Pipes code, so the licensing issues would still apply.

        Regards,
        Eric

        Eric Miraglia
        Yahoo! User Interface Library

        Message 3 of 4 , May 14, 2008
          Eric,

          Thanks for sharing the information. If I could use Pipes that would be fantastic but I might be able to use YUI to create a drag and drop canvas like Yahoo! Pipes as well, however having something ready to use will sure help me to deliver my project faster.

          Best,
          Behrang

          --
          Behrang Saeedzadeh
        • Eric Miraglia
          Message 4 of 4 , May 14, 2008
            Behrang,

            Yep, I agree with you -- we'd like to see all the great tools from Yahoo get into your hands -- and Jonathan's Pipes code falls into that category.

            -Eric