YUI Carousel

  • jrbramble
    Message 1 of 5 , May 9, 2008
      I now see them all over Yahoo. The movie section on yahoo has
      circular carousles. They are pretty nifty I must say. So. who has
      the best ideas as to when this will be made available to us? I don't
      really like to use other carousels, because the javascript is too
      heavy and not clean enough. Instead, I just do the best I can with
      event handlers and messy css tricks. I want to use this carousel. I
      can't wait anymore. Well, I guess I can.
    • Eric Miraglia
      Message 2 of 5 , May 10, 2008
        jrbramble,

        Yep -- we use a lot of Carousels at Yahoo.

        As for underlying code, many of those Carousels make use of YUI, but we haven't yet released a Carousel Widget as part of the library.  We're working on that, and we hope to have something to share with you soon, but in the meantime I'd suggest taking a look at Bill Scott's YUI-based Carousel:

        Bill, who is now at NetFlix, did a fanstastic job on this component, and it's one of the ones that we use at Yahoo.

        Regards,
        Eric

        On May 9, 2008, at 9:12 PM, jrbramble wrote:

        I now see them all over Yahoo. The movie section on yahoo has
        circular carousles. They are pretty nifty I must say. So. who has
        the best ideas as to when this will be made available to us? I don't
        really like to use other carousels, because the javascript is too
        heavy and not clean enough. Instead, I just do the best I can with
        event handlers and messy css tricks. I want to use this carousel. I
        can't wait anymore. Well, I guess I can.

      • Kenneth MacLean
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2009
          Does anyone know how to get the carousel control, when set to autoPlay, NOT to visibly scroll through all of the pages, but just reset the control back to the first page?
          I have a nice set of images that I've put into the carousel and it works great. But when the carousel control goes back to the first image, it slides through all of the images in backwards order before it displays the first image again.
          I've studied the properties, methods, and events for the control, but haven't been able to figure out a way to simply reset the carousel back to the beginning without the intervening scroll.
          Any help would be appreciated.
        • Gopal Venkatesan (गोपाल वे
          Message 4 of 5 , May 4, 2009
            On Sat, 2009-05-02 at 20:23 +0000, Kenneth MacLean wrote:
            > Does anyone know how to get the carousel control, when set to
            > autoPlay, NOT to visibly scroll through all of the pages, but just
            > reset the control back to the first page?
            > I have a nice set of images that I've put into the carousel and it
            > works great. But when the carousel control goes back to the first
            > image, it slides through all of the images in backwards order before
            > it displays the first image again.
            > I've studied the properties, methods, and events for the control, but
            > haven't been able to figure out a way to simply reset the carousel
            > back to the beginning without the intervening scroll.
            > Any help would be appreciated.

            Hi Kenneth:

            Unfortunately the feature you're asking for isn't supported by YUI
            Carousel. Can you please file an enhancement request for the same?

            --
            Gopal Venkatesan
            http://g13n.in/

            Note: if you see question marks (???) after my name above, then your
            mail tool is not Unicode enabled.
            You should see my name (Gopal Venkatesan) in Hindi (गोपाल वेंकटेसन)
          • Kenneth MacLean
            Message 5 of 5 , May 4, 2009
              Thanks Gopal. I will file an enhancement request.
              :-) Ken