Re: [ydn-javascript] datasource: json format expected

    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2008
      If they contain multiple values, which one is the one you mean to show.
      There can only be one value returned per field, if there are going to be
      multiple status objects, which one is the one you care to show? I understand
      "results" would contain more than one, but the others? Anyway, the DataTable
      can only show a single value per cell so whatever you can't do that.

      Besides, the code:

      function(t){"deadline"}

      or any other is not invalid but does nothing. It evaluates the string
      "deadline" and then does nothing with it.

      function(t){return "deadline"}

      would, at least, return the string "deadline" which would end up being shown
      in the Datatable, but that is quite boring and probably not what you mean.

      If, for example, the "status" field had a single item, not an array, you
      could declare a field like:

      fields: [...,"status.value",...]

      and the DataSource will give you the value, it doesn't need a parser to do
      that.

      You might even try:

      "status.0.value"

      with the data as it is now, which might (though probably not) fetch the
      value field in the first item in the status array.

      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2008
        On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 7:00 PM, Satyam <satyam@...> wrote:
        > If they contain multiple values, which one is the one you mean to show.
        > There can only be one value returned per field, if there are going to be
        > multiple status objects, which one is the one you care to show? I understand
        > "results" would contain more than one, but the others? Anyway, the DataTable
        > can only show a single value per cell so whatever you can't do that.
        >
        > Besides, the code:
        >
        > function(t){"deadline"}
        >
        > or any other is not invalid but does nothing. It evaluates the string
        > "deadline" and then does nothing with it.
        >
        > function(t){return "deadline"}
        >
        > would, at least, return the string "deadline" which would end up being shown
        > in the Datatable, but that is quite boring and probably not what you mean.

        hem, yes..... Mixing languages.....

        > If, for example, the "status" field had a single item, not an array, you
        > could declare a field like:
        >
        > fields: [...,"status.value",...]
        >
        > and the DataSource will give you the value, it doesn't need a parser to do
        > that.
        >
        > You might even try:
        >
        > "status.0.value"
        >
        > with the data as it is now, which might (though probably not) fetch the
        > value field in the first item in the status array.

        I still get a failure indeed. Does that mean there's no solution to
        consume that JSON with the datasource component?

        Thanks for your help.

        Raph

        > Satyam

      • Raphael Bauduin
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2008
          On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 7:38 PM, Raphael Bauduin <rblists@...> wrote:
          > On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 7:00 PM, Satyam <satyam@...> wrote:
          > > If they contain multiple values, which one is the one you mean to show.
          > > There can only be one value returned per field, if there are going to be
          > > multiple status objects, which one is the one you care to show? I understand
          > > "results" would contain more than one, but the others? Anyway, the DataTable
          > > can only show a single value per cell so whatever you can't do that.
          > >
          > > Besides, the code:
          > >
          > > function(t){"deadline"}
          > >
          > > or any other is not invalid but does nothing. It evaluates the string
          > > "deadline" and then does nothing with it.
          > >
          > > function(t){return "deadline"}
          > >
          > > would, at least, return the string "deadline" which would end up being shown
          > > in the Datatable, but that is quite boring and probably not what you mean.
          >

          > hem, yes..... Mixing languages.....
          >

          > > If, for example, the "status" field had a single item, not an array, you
          > > could declare a field like:
          > >
          > > fields: [...,"status.value",...]
          > >
          > > and the DataSource will give you the value, it doesn't need a parser to do
          > > that.
          > >
          > > You might even try:
          > >
          > > "status.0.value"
          > >
          > > with the data as it is now, which might (though probably not) fetch the
          > > value field in the first item in the status array.
          > >

          > I still get a failure indeed. Does that mean there's no solution to
          > consume that JSON with the datasource component?
          >
          > Thanks for your help.
          >

          > Raph

          The logger gives more info: the json could not be parsed:

          DataSource instance1

          JSON data could not be parsed: ({ length : 3, resources: [{"url":
          "http://localhost:3000/instances/5.json", "lock_version": 0,
          "entity_url": "http://localhost:3000/entities/1.json", "details_url":
          "http://localhost:3000/entities/1/details.json", "links_url":
          "http://localhost:3000/instances/5/links.json", "status": [{ "url":
          "http://localhost:3000/details/5/values/3.json", "lock_version": 0,
          "value": "On-hold"}], "title": [{ "url":
          "http://localhost:3000/details/1/values/6.json", "lock_version": 0,
          "value": "second test"}], "deadline": [{ "url":
          "http://localhost:3000/details/4/values/3.json", "lock_version": 0,
          "value": "2008-05-01 15:35:50"}], "description": [{ "url":
          "http://localhost:3000/details/2/values/7.json", "lock_version": 0,
          "value": "another descrpition"}]}, {"url":
          "http://localhost:3000/instances/3.json", "lock_version": 0,
          "entity_url": "http://localhost:3000/entities/1.json", "details_url":
          "http://localhost:3000/entities/1/details.json", "links_url":
          "http://localhost:3000/instances/3/links.json", "status": [{ "url":
          "http://localhost:3000/details/5/values/1.json", "lock_version": 0,
          "value": "Started"}], "title": [{ "url":
          "http://localhost:3000/details/1/values/2.json", "lock_version": 0,
          "value": "test"}], "deadline": [{ "url":
          "http://localhost:3000/details/4/values/1.json", "lock_version": 0,
          "value": "2008-02-15 16:26:19"}], "description": [{ "url":
          "http://localhost:3000/details/2/values/3.json", "lock_version": 0,
          "value": "retest"}]}, {"url":
          "http://localhost:3000/instances/4.json", "lock_version": 0,
          "entity_url": "http://localhost:3000/entities/1.json", "details_url":
          "http://localhost:3000/entities/1/details.json", "links_url":
          "http://localhost:3000/instances/4/links.json", "status": [{ "url":
          "http://localhost:3000/details/5/values/2.json", "lock_version": 0,
          "value": "Started"}], "title": [{ "url":
          "http://localhost:3000/details/1/values/4.json", "lock_version": 0,
          "value": "test"}], "deadline": [{ "url":
          "http://localhost:3000/details/4/values/2.json", "lock_version": 0,
          "value": "2008-05-01 15:35:50"}], "description": [{ "url":
          "http://localhost:3000/details/2/values/5.json", "lock_version": 0,
          "value": "My description"}]}]} )

          I tried with and without the parenthesis (see why at
          http://dhenztm.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!761D77A7A749C21B!724.entry )

          There should be a way to use that json, or am I wrong?

          Raph

          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2008

            > There should be a way to use that json, or am I wrong?

            I got it working, though the JSON returned is different.
            Looking at datasource-beta-debug at line 1566, there's a test on
            resultsList, which is used if present. The problem must be in
            walkPath:

            1566 if (schema.resultsList) {
            1567 path = buildPath(schema.resultsList);
            1568 if (path) {
            1569 resultsList = walkPath(path, oFullResponse);
            1570 if (resultsList === undefined) {
            1571 bError = true;
            1572 }
            1573 } else {
            1574 bError = true;
            1575 }
            1576 }

            The default behaviour is to consider the received data as an array,
            and it occurs when no resultsList is passed. So when returning all
            data in an array and using this code it works fine:

            myDataSource.responseSchema = {
            fields: ["url", "lock_version", "entity_url","details_url",
            "links_url", { "key": "status", "parser" : function(status) { "status"
            }}, {key:"title", parser: function(t){return "title"}} , {key:
            "deadline", parser: function(t){return "deadline"}},
            {key:"description", parser:function(v){return "description"}} ]
            };

            The downside is that there's no meta information available :(
            I don't have the opportunity to dig deeper right now, but will do
            later. So if you have any hints, don't hesitate to let me know ;-)

            Raph

            --
            Web database: http://www.myowndb.com
            Free Software Developers Meeting: http://www.fosdem.org
          • y_lsmith
            Message 5 of 12 , May 1, 2008
              Raph,

              DataSource is capable of extracting values from nested structures.  However, it looks like you want to capture the collection of values for your columns 'status', 'title', 'deadline', and 'description'.  Keep in mind that DataTable doesn't support tree like row structures, but you could use a custom formatter to turn the array data into a single cell value.  I threw together this example page  to show how to do it.

              Hope this helps,
              Luke

              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2008
                Sorry about the missinformation I provided. Thanks for the correction.

                Message 7 of 12 , May 2, 2008
                  On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 9:35 PM, y_lsmith <lsmith@...> wrote:

                  > Raph,
                  >
                  > DataSource is capable of extracting values from nested structures. However,
                  > it looks like you want to capture the collection of values for your columns
                  > 'status', 'title', 'deadline', and 'description'. Keep in mind that
                  > DataTable doesn't support tree like row structures, but you could use a
                  > custom formatter to turn the array data into a single cell value. I threw
                  > together this example page to show how to do it.

                  Hi Luke,

                  thanks for taking a look at this! I will indeed look at a custom
                  formatter once I can use the json, but I'm still not there :(
                  I've looked closely at your example, and simplified my code a lot. I'm
                  now trying with this code, but still without success:

                  myDataSource.responseType = YAHOO.util.DataSource.TYPE_JSON;
                  myDataSource.responseSchema = {
                  fields: ["url" ],
                  resultsList: "resources"
                  };

                  I put a page with code consuming the json at http://www.raphinou.com/test.html
                  There you can just copy and paste the javascript code displayed on the
                  page in the firebug console, and you should get a failure.

                  I hope you have the opportunity to take a look because I really don't
                  see what I'm doing wrong here.

                  Thanks

                  Raph

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 2, 2008
                    If you are including the JSON component, it will fail, if not, it will work.
                    The DataSource comes with a JSON decoded which is somewhat more tolerant
                    than the standard. It will accept unquoted identifiers. The JSON component
                    is stricter and won't take your JSON message because the first two
                    identifiers, length and resources are not within quotes. So, either make
                    sure to put quotes around all identifiers or don't load the JSON component
                    and let the DataSource deal with it. I recomend the first one since,
                    eventually, the DataSource will catch up with the standard and will also
                    fail.

> [...]
                    >> > console.log('success');
                    >> > },
                    >> > failure: function(oRequest,oResponse,oPayload) {
                    >> > console.log('failure');
                    >> > },
                    >> > scope:this
                    >> > }
                    >> >
                    >> > var myDataSource = new
                    >> > YAHOO.util.DataSource("http://localhost:3000/entities/1/instances.json?");
                    >> > myDataSource.responseType = YAHOO.util.DataSource.TYPE_JSON;
                    >> > myDataSource.responseSchema = {
                    >> > fields: ["url", "lock_version", "entity_url","details_url",
                    >> > "links_url", { "status" : function(status) { "status" }}, {"title":
                    >> > function(t){"title"}} , {"deadline": function(t){"deadline"}},
                    >> > {"description":function(v){"description"}} ],
                    >> > resultsList: "resources"
                    >> > };
                    >> >
                    >> > myDataSource.sendRequest("test=1", oCallback);

                  • Raphael Bauduin
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 2, 2008
                      On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Satyam <satyam@...> wrote:
                      > If you are including the JSON component, it will fail, if not, it will work.
                      > The DataSource comes with a JSON decoded which is somewhat more tolerant
                      > than the standard. It will accept unquoted identifiers. The JSON component
                      > is stricter and won't take your JSON message because the first two
                      > identifiers, length and resources are not within quotes. So, either make
                      > sure to put quotes around all identifiers or don't load the JSON component
                      > and let the DataSource deal with it. I recomend the first one since,
                      > eventually, the DataSource will catch up with the standard and will also
                      > fail.

                      That's working indeed!

                      Thanks Satyam and Luke for taking the time to help me!!

                      Raph