Re: [ydn-javascript] HTML tidy messing up grid structure

  • Tom Cloyd
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2008
      Karr, David wrote:

      > Just a guess, but are you perhaps using the strict doctype? Did you
      > validate your HTML against the doctype to make sure you don't have any
      > violations? For instance, one possibility is that you have "div"
      > elements inside "p" elements, which violates the strict doctype. I
      > wonder if Tidy just "cleans it up" by removing those elements?

      David,

      Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I am validating against HTML strict, but
      WHAT I'm validating is the initial code I get from YUI's Grids builder
      at http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/grids/builder/, asking it to set up,
      for example, a 95% width page with a left and right sidebar. Before I do
      anything to it, I tidy it, and it breaks. This has happened with several
      - the majority - of the preconfigured grid setups I've downloaded from
      Yahoo and immediately run through Tidy. I'd think that maybe the problem
      was with jEdit's tidy set up, but I've used it with several XHTML
      website successfully for several years. And, as I said, when I looked at
      the configuration carefully, I didn't see anything which would account
      for the site-breaking. Tidy runs fine, and reports no errors, but
      removes a div - different ones with different page templates - and
      breaks the page.

      Have never seen this problem before, which is one reason I'm not making
      sense of it yet.

      Any more ideas anyone?

      T.

      Tom Cloyd, MS MA, LMHC
      Private practice Psychotherapist
      Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
      << tc@... >> (email)
      << TomCloyd.com >> (website & psychotherapy weblog)
      << sleightmind.wordpress.com >> (mental health issues weblog)
      << directpathdesign.com >> (web site design & consultation)