RE: [ydn-javascript] HTML tidy messing up grid structure

  • Karr, David
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1 6:38 AM
      Just a guess, but are you perhaps using the strict doctype?  Did you validate your HTML against the doctype to make sure you don't have any violations?  For instance, one possibility is that you have "div" elements inside "p" elements, which violates the strict doctype.  I wonder if Tidy just "cleans it up" by removing those elements?

      Message 2 of 3 , May 1 6:59 AM
        Karr, David wrote:

        > Just a guess, but are you perhaps using the strict doctype? Did you
        > validate your HTML against the doctype to make sure you don't have any
        > violations? For instance, one possibility is that you have "div"
        > elements inside "p" elements, which violates the strict doctype. I
        > wonder if Tidy just "cleans it up" by removing those elements?

        David,

        Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I am validating against HTML strict, but
        WHAT I'm validating is the initial code I get from YUI's Grids builder
        at http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/grids/builder/, asking it to set up,
        for example, a 95% width page with a left and right sidebar. Before I do
        anything to it, I tidy it, and it breaks. This has happened with several
        - the majority - of the preconfigured grid setups I've downloaded from
        Yahoo and immediately run through Tidy. I'd think that maybe the problem
        was with jEdit's tidy set up, but I've used it with several XHTML
        website successfully for several years. And, as I said, when I looked at
        the configuration carefully, I didn't see anything which would account
        for the site-breaking. Tidy runs fine, and reports no errors, but
        removes a div - different ones with different page templates - and
        breaks the page.

        Have never seen this problem before, which is one reason I'm not making
        sense of it yet.

        Any more ideas anyone?

        T.

        Tom Cloyd, MS MA, LMHC
        Private practice Psychotherapist
        Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
        << tc@... >> (email)
        << TomCloyd.com >> (website & psychotherapy weblog)
        << sleightmind.wordpress.com >> (mental health issues weblog)
        << directpathdesign.com >> (web site design & consultation)