Datatable inline cell editing

  • david_c1986
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2008
      Hi
      is there any way to edit directly into the cell rather than have a
      textbox/textarea pop up? I want to allow users to edit directly into
      cells and have the ability to use the tab and arrow keys to navigate
      between the cells.
      Any advice would be great
      Thanks
      David
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2008
        This example:

        http://www.satyam.com.ar/yui/#assortedControls

        might help. It was done for 2.4 and then slightly changed for 2.5, your
        choice.

        Anyway, regarding textboxes, the issue is how to make sure the user
        confirmation or cancel of the entry, that is the part I don't like much
        about not having an obvious means of confirming or canceling the change.
        That, of course, is relevant if you are sending the changes to the server
        each time. If, as with spreadsheets, you save changes for the whole sheet
        at once, that should not be a problem.

        Another way is if in the columns definitions you set
        editorOptions:{disableBtns:true} then the Ok/Cancel buttons won't show and
        the cell editor will adjust more tightly to the underlying cell. If not,
        look at method editTextbox in datatable-beta.js and use it as the basis to
        define your own editor. That one and showCellEditor is where the size of the
        overlaying edit box is set. Don't bother changing showCellEditor, you can
        fix any sizing done there in your own editor.

        There used to be a bug that if you disabled buttons there was no way to save
        the changes. I see it has been fixed for the current version, if you press
        enter it will save the changes. If you are using a previous version, Enter
        might not have any effect.

        Any handling of arrow keys to move around, saving changes and activating the
        cell editor on the moved-to cell is not supported, you'll have to handle
        that. In that same formatTextbox you can see how the Enter key is handled
        (keyCode == 13) you can do the same for other keys. Methods saveCellEditor,
        cancelCellEditor and showCellEditor are the key methods you would need to
        use..