YUI CSS questions about column width calculations in EMS

  • john_aspinall
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2008
      Hi Nate and all

      Ive just started to trial out the the YUI CSS grid builder and am
      v.impressed! I've always worked with fixed column widths and using
      EMS for defining column sizes is confusing me a bit.

      Ive created a 3 col layout with the left col set at 180px. I was
      wondering how this is calculated in EMS? Also, I notice there is a
      different value for IE. Why is this and how was this calculated? If
      I wanted to change the left col to say 190px - how would I go about
      doing this - and woould it have any impact on the rest of the columns?

      Also, I know that by using EMs for column widths means that the widths
      will scale horizontally when text is resized, and this is good
      practice, but I would like to fix the width of the left nav. How
      would I do this and would it have any impact on the other columns?

      Also (and finally!), I wanted to add some padding on the left col to
      bring my menu bar across and lined up under my logo - I have added a
      left padding value of 12px to the container DIV. As you can see this
      eats into the space of the left margin of the main body DIV. Will I
      have to adjust this accordingly? Will this have any impact on the
      rest of the site if I do this? Should I use pixels or EMS for this?
      Again, I have no idea of what value to use in EMS.

      http://john.kleeneze.net/index.php
      http://john.kleeneze.net/left_padding.php

      Cheers...John
    • malutanpetronel
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2008
        I try to test a dynamic YUI tree
        I have configured on my development PC a yuitree_proxy.php called
        from the page which generate firstlevel of tree, this proxy.php is
        returning a string "a,b,c"

        In the callback I've tried to modify innerHTML for a div to see the
        response...
        var callback = {
        success: function(oResponse) {
        document.getElementById('tree').innerHTML =
        oResponse.responseText; ..........

        but when click to expand a node I see in FIREBU a error which
        point to YAHOO.util.Connect=...
        Could this error be generated by the fact the site where I test is
        it not a existing DNS name... is it defined only locally ?
        http://catalog:82/.... ?

        ERROR IS GET http://catalog:82/prog/newcatalog_proxy.php?
        query=Ecomax404 (15ms)....

        Or is it something else I should look for ?
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2008
          What happens if you type that same URL into the address bar of the browser?
          Can you see anything? If the browser can reach that URL as a normal page
          then the Connection Manager should, unless the data is in a domain different
          from the page, but that wouldn't cause a 404 error. So, try to fetch that
          data as if it were a full page and see what happens.