Serializing DOM components

  • shooting_star2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 14, 2006
      Hello all, I have a question about the Serialization of DOM
      components. I am currently using the scriptaculous API for various
      drag and drop components, sorting lists, etc. It can be found at the
      following:

      http://wiki.script.aculo.us/scriptaculous/show/HomePage

      Although this API is pretty amazing for what you can do, it gets a bit
      shaky when it comes to incorporating some of its functionality into
      scrollable containers. I'm curious how the Yahoo! UI Library handles
      this sort of thing.

      1 good thing about scriptaculous is its ability to serialize entire
      DOM containers via a simple call. I need this functionality in
      whatever i choose going forward. Does anyone know if the Yahoo! UI
      Library provides for this kind of functionality?

      Thank you so much for your knowledge and opinions.

      Dan
    • Matt Warden
      • gerry@xltopia.co.uk
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 14, 2006

          Dan,

          Have you got any SIMPLE examples of scriptaculous drag and drop and sorts?  I’m currently planning to “portalize” my website, with customizable content and layout.  I’ve briefly looked at scriptaculous and rico, as well as a few others but the documentation is almost non-existent.

          Gerry

          Hello all, I have a question about the Serialization of DOM
          components. I am currently using the scriptaculous API for various
          drag and drop components, sorting lists, etc. It can be found at the
          following:

          http://wiki.script.aculo.us/scriptaculous/show/HomePage

          Although this API is pretty amazing for what you can do, it gets a bit
          shaky when it comes to incorporating some of its functionality into
          scrollable containers. I'm curious how the Yahoo! UI Library handles
          this sort of thing.

          1 good thing about scriptaculous is its ability to serialize entire
          DOM containers via a simple call. I need this functionality in
          whatever i choose going forward. Does anyone know if the Yahoo! UI
          Library provides for this kind of functionality?

          Thank you so much for your knowledge and opinions.

          Dan

          C programming language

          Computer programming languages

          Java programming language

          The c programming language

          C programming language

          Concept of programming language

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • Eric Miraglia
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 14, 2006
            Dan,

            We don't have a serialization function in the works, as far as I know; as one poster pointed out, though, there are some good ones out there from which you can draw.

            To answer your question about scrollable containers, Adam Moore, who wrote the YUI Drag and Drop Utility, did a terrific job making sure that the page scrolls when you drag to the edges of the viewport.  This is a hard thing to get right in all the A-grade browsers we support; we've been happy so far with the implementation.

            We'll be curious to hear what you think.

            -Eric

            On Feb 14, 2006, at 2:36 PM, shooting_star2000 wrote:

            Hello all, I have a question about the Serialization of DOM
            components. I am currently using the scriptaculous API for various
            drag and drop components, sorting lists, etc. It can be found at the
            following:

            Although this API is pretty amazing for what you can do, it gets a bit
            shaky when it comes to incorporating some of its functionality into
            scrollable containers. I'm curious how the Yahoo! UI Library handles
            this sort of thing.

            1 good thing about scriptaculous is its ability to serialize entire
            DOM containers via a simple call. I need this functionality in
            whatever i choose going forward. Does anyone know if the Yahoo! UI
            Library provides for this kind of functionality?

            Thank you so much for your knowledge and opinions.

            Dan

            Yahoo! Groups Links