Tooltip size in IE6

  • Scerbatiuc Ion
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 23, 2008
      Hello!
      I'm using yui v2.3.0 an everything is working just fine. But, in IE6 my
      tooltips are not rendered as expected. Their size is bigger than needed
      and it increases everytime I move my mouse over an element having a
      tooltip assigned.

      My code is simple:
      var tt = new YAHOO.widget.Tooltip("tt_close_message", { context:
      element, showdelay: 50, hidedelay: 50 });
      , and the same for all the elements that need tooltips to be assigned.

      In Firefox and IE7 everything is fine. I also tried the 2.5.1 version
      and had the same results.
      Had anyone the same problem?
      Could anyone help me on this?
      Thanks!
      Regards,
      Scerbatiuc Ion
    • Ion Scerbatiuc
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 24, 2008
        Hello!
        I'm using yui v2.3.0 an everything is working just fine. But, in IE6 my
        tooltips are not rendered as expected. Their size is bigger than needed
        and it increases everytime I move my mouse over an element having a
        tooltip assigned.

        My code is simple:
        var tt = new YAHOO.widget.Tooltip("tt_close_message", { context: element, showdelay: 50, hidedelay: 50 });

        , and the same for all the elements that need tooltips to be assigned.

        In Firefox and IE7 everything is fine. I also tried the 2.5.1 version
        and had the same results.
        Had anyone the same problem?
        Could anyone help me on this?
        Thanks!
        Regards,
        Scerbatiuc Ion

        -----------------------------------
        Nirvana

        __________________________________
        Whozin - Are you in?
        We pay you to read your own e-mail!
        Primul webmail adevărat în limba română!
      • Satyen Desai
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 24, 2008

          Could you post a URL to look at?

          I can't replicate the behavior you mention with a basic test case using the snippet you provided, but we have code which is designed to configure the width of the tooltip, if a width has not been specifically set under certain conditions, which maybe causing the odd behavior you mention. Would also like to know what the content of the tooltip is (string, markup, css applied etc.), which maybe a factor.

          Thanks,
          Satyen

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 24, 2008
            I can't post a URL to look.
            The content of the tooltip is text and/or html and it's "stored" as elements titles.
            I don't specify the width and height of the tooltips because I don't know how much text there will be.
            Could it be some style applied to the body or other elements that can cause this behavior? It's strange that in FF and IE7 it's working perfectly.
            The mechanism I use setting the tooltips is using Dom.getElementsBy and supplying the necessary method and apply callbacks. In the apply callback I instantiate the tooltips as described in previous post.
            I'm calling Dom.getElementsBy when I know for sure that the DOM is loaded.
            Maybe someone encountered the same behavior in IE6.
            Thanks in advance!

[...]

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               mailto:ydn-javascript-digest@yahoogroups.com
               mailto:ydn-javascript-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            -----------------------------------
            Nirvana

            __________________________________
            Whozin - Are you in?
            We pay you to read your own e-mail!
            Primul webmail adevărat în limba română!
          • g.shackles
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 24, 2008
              I have experienced this problem as well in IE6 (and only IE6) but it
              doesn't happen every time I use tooltips. I haven't taken the time to
              look into what is different about the one with the problem so I can't
              give much insight into that, but I'm certainly interested in a
              resolution to it! If others are having problems reproducing the
              problem I can try and come up with a useful code snippet that would
              demonstrate it.

              - Greg
            • Satyen Desai
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 24, 2008

                > The content of the tooltip is text and/or html and it's
                > "stored" as elements titles.

                Was looking for the actual contents, so I can try to reproduce the
                issue using the same contents [ especially the html content ].

                > Could it be some style applied to the body or
                > other elements that can cause this behavior?

                Maybe. That's part of the reason I was hoping to get a URL.

                Since you're not configuring a "container" property value, the tooltip
                element gets added to document.body by default, so style applied to
                other elements, outside of tooltip, should not have any impact.

                However if you're inadvertently applying a style to something inside
                the tooltip it may.

                What are you applying to body?

                > The mechanism I use setting the tooltips is using
                > Dom.getElementsBy and supplying the necessary
                > method and apply callbacks.

                I don't believe how you're instantiating it should have any impact.

                Regards,
                Satyen
              • Caridy Patiño Mayea
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 25, 2008
                  Hello Satyen,

                  I have been dealing with the same issue, I think is an issue with the
                  SAM skin, here I have a couple of examples that will reproduce the error:

                  http://bubbling-library.com/sandbox/misc/t1.html
                  http://bubbling-library.com/sadnbox/misc/t2.html

                  If you don't specify the width for the tooltip object, IE6 will
                  display the widely overlay using the width of the body.

                  The problem arise when you want to leave the width "auto", here is the
                  error reproduction:

                  http://bubbling-library.com/sandbox/tooltips/tooltips-statics-with-close-default.html
                  http://bubbling-library.com/sandbox/tooltips/tooltips-statics-with-close-sam.html

                  Best Regards,
                  Caridy Patino (caridy at gmail.com)
                  http://www.bubbling-library.com/

                  --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Satyen Desai" <sdesai@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > > The content of the tooltip is text and/or html and it's
                  > > "stored" as elements titles.
                  >
                  > Was looking for the actual contents, so I can try to reproduce the
                  > issue using the same contents [ especially the html content ].
                  >
                  > > Could it be some style applied to the body or
                  > > other elements that can cause this behavior?
                  >
                  > Maybe. That's part of the reason I was hoping to get a URL.
                  >
                  > Since you're not configuring a "container" property value, the tooltip
                  > element gets added to document.body by default, so style applied to
                  > other elements, outside of tooltip, should not have any impact.
                  >
                  > However if you're inadvertently applying a style to something inside
                  > the tooltip it may.
                  >
                  > What are you applying to body?
                  >
                  > > The mechanism I use setting the tooltips is using
                  > > Dom.getElementsBy and supplying the necessary
                  > > method and apply callbacks.
                  >
                  > I don't believe how you're instantiating it should have any impact.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Satyen

                • Satyen Desai
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 25, 2008
                    Hi Caridy,

                    Thanks for the examples.

                    The links you provided appear to be using YAHOO.widget.Panel, not
                    YAHOO.widget.Tooltip, and the behavior you're seeing with Sam Skin
                    applied is a result of the following IE6 hasLayout issue, discussed in
                    the "Known Issues" section:

                    "Panel instances render at 100% of the browser viewport"
                    http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/container/#knownissues

                    For Tooltip, the "hasLayout" child element issue mentioned above is not
                    a factor, even with the default tooltip Sam Skin applied, since it's
                    child elements either don't have "hasLayout" set, or do, but are
                    themselves shrink-wrapped and so don't affect the container bounding
                    box's ability to shrink-wrap it's contents if a width is not provided.

                    Here's your t1.html example, using the out-of-the-box Tooltip, with Sam
                    Skin, which works OK for me in IE6:

                    http://yuiblog.com/sandbox/yui/v251/examples/container/tooltipwidth.html

                    As I mentioned in my previous post, Tooltip does have code which is
                    designed to set a fixed width on the tooltip temporarily in certain
                    conditions. For example in the following case, where I'm rendering the
                    tooltip to a container, which is not document.body:

                    http://yuiblog.com/sandbox/yui/v251/examples/container/tooltiptempwidth.
                    html

                    If there is a Tooltip issue, I'd expect it to be related to this
                    temporary width code and the contents of the tooltip, but as mentioned
                    haven't been able to reproduce the original poster's observations about
                    the tooltip continuing to increase in size everytime it's displayed.

                    If I could get a test case from them I'm sure we could identify the
                    issue, whether it's in Tooltip or the implementation.

                    Regards,
                    Satyen
                  • Greg Shackles
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 6, 2008
                      Has anyone made any progress on this issue?

                      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "g.shackles" <gshackles@...> wrote:

                      > I have experienced this problem as well in IE6 (and only IE6) but it
                      > doesn't happen every time I use tooltips. I haven't taken the time to
                      > look into what is different about the one with the problem so I can't
                      > give much insight into that, but I'm certainly interested in a
                      > resolution to it! If others are having problems reproducing the
                      > problem I can try and come up with a useful code snippet that would
                      > demonstrate it.
                      >
                      > - Greg

                    • Satyen Desai
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 6, 2008
                        Hey Greg,

                        If you have a repro case for this, please post it and I can look into it. As mentioned in my last post, I was unable to reproduce the issue with the information provided by Ion.

                        Regards,
                        Satyen

                        Has anyone made any progress on this issue?

                        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "g.shackles" <gshackles@...> wrote:

                        > I have experienced this problem as well in IE6 (and only IE6) but it
                        > doesn't happen every time I use tooltips. I haven't taken the time to
                        > look into what is different about the one with the problem so I can't
                        > give much insight into that, but I'm certainly interested in a
                        > resolution to it! If others are having problems reproducing the
                        > problem I can try and come up with a useful code snippet that would
                        > demonstrate it.
                        >
                        > - Greg

                      • bakerpd_2000
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 10, 2008
                          Hi Greg,

                          I didn't see the original issue, but I'm wondering if it's related
                          to this bug:

                          [ 1918104 ] [#]IE6:IFRAMEremains on tooltip hide and overlays other
                          link
                          http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
                          func=detail&aid=1918104&group_id=165715&atid=836476

                          I have also seen where the drop shadow retains the largest size of
                          any tooltip displayed on a page, so that when a smaller tooltip is
                          displayed, the drop shadow is much larger.

                          My hack is to override the drop shadow so that the background color
                          is white vs. gray. The shadow isn't really a shadow, but it makes it
                          much less annoying.

                          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Shackles"
                          <gshackles@...> wrote:

                          > Has anyone made any progress on this issue?
                          >
                          > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "g.shackles" <gshackles@>
                          wrote:

                          > > I have experienced this problem as well in IE6 (and only IE6)
                          but it
                          > > doesn't happen every time I use tooltips. I haven't taken the
                          time to
                          > > look into what is different about the one with the problem so I
                          can't
                          > > give much insight into that, but I'm certainly interested in a
                          > > resolution to it! If others are having problems reproducing the
                          > > problem I can try and come up with a useful code snippet that
                          would
                          > > demonstrate it.
                          > >
                          > > - Greg

                        • Greg Shackles
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 3, 2008
                            Hey Satyen,

                            Sorry about the delay, completely forgot to keep up on this thread
                            over the past month. I just went to try and come up with a repro case
                            for you and for whatever reason, the page that was showing this error
                            (I first encountered it back in February or so) no longer had the
                            issue. Offhand I'm not really sure what changed but I'll try and
                            figure that out as I have time.

                            Sorry to anyone still having this problem that I couldn't provide a
                            good repro case for it.

                            - Greg