Re: What would it take to support IE5.5?

  • dvidluca
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 18 6:52 AM
      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Ganesh.B" <ganesha_b@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I would like to know how much of an effort would it be to bring in
      > support for IE5.5.
      >
      > And what were the reasons for moving IE5.5 out of the A-grade browser
      > list? It would be great if some one can list out areas that need
      > modifications.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Ganesh Bollapragada

      "What would it take to support IE5.5?"

      some kind of miracle?

      But seriously with an average user base of just 1.1% would the effort
      it would take be worth it? I know Opera and Safari have similar
      numbers of users, but these are standards-compliant browsers that are
      much easier to support in the first place. IE6 is bad enough, I can
      only image trying to support IE5 would be a complete and total nightmare
    • andresm1981
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 18 9:52 AM
        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "dvidluca" <dvidluca@...> wrote:

        > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Ganesh.B" <ganesha_b@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > I would like to know how much of an effort would it be to bring in
        > > support for IE5.5.
        > >
        > > And what were the reasons for moving IE5.5 out of the A-grade browser
        > > list? It would be great if some one can list out areas that need
        > > modifications.
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > > Ganesh Bollapragada
        > >

        > "What would it take to support IE5.5?"
        >
        > some kind of miracle?
        >
        > But seriously with an average user base of just 1.1% would the effort
        > it would take be worth it? I know Opera and Safari have similar
        > numbers of users, but these are standards-compliant browsers that are
        > much easier to support in the first place. IE6 is bad enough, I can
        > only image trying to support IE5 would be a complete and total nightmare

        I agree with you, the effort is just not worth it. According to Net
        Applications IE 5.5 has a market share of 0.09%!

        http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=2&qptimeframe=M&qpsp=110

        IE7 45.65%
        IE6 28.94%
        Firefox 2.0 16.82%
        Safari 3.0 3.96%
        Safari 3.1 0.82
        Opera 9.x 0.69%

        Even Opera has 7 times more users than IE5.5