How to Troubleshoot Disappearing Dropdown Menu

  • davide101
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2008
      I built a beautiful (to me) new site navigation banner based on the
      YUI menu module. It works beautifully on the browsers I've tested with
      thus far.

      Part of my site is a forum powered by vBulletin. When I implement the
      YUI Menu on these pages, I run into the following problem. When I
      first hover over a parent, the submenu drops down and I can navigate
      it perfectly. Occasionally, if I move my mouse across multiple
      parents, the submenu pops up but disappears when I navigate to it.
      This behavior will continue until I click somewhere else on the
      document or wait a few seconds with my mouse away from the menus.

      I know that vBulletin uses some YUI files. So I've ensured that the
      extra files I need to include are from the same version (2.5.0) and
      are called in the correct order. I get no Javascript errors on the page.

      How do I go about troubleshooting this from here?

      Working Page: http://www.diabetesdaily.com/index2.php
      vBulletin Page: http://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/index.php?styleid=35

      Thank you for your assistance. I'm a self-taught web designer by
      necessity and the yui framework has really helped me grow my
      capabilities.
    • davide101
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2008
        After so more testing, I've discovered that this problem only occurs
        in Firefox 2 and IE7. Everything works perfectly in IE6 and FF3.

        I'd like to stress that I don't need someone to solve this for me. I'm
        happy to learn on my own (and would like to), but would appreciate
        guidance on how to process from a JS Guru. I know a bunch of you
        frequent this list!

        Kind Regards,
        David
      • Todd Kloots
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 14, 2008
          David -

          I introduced a bug in version 2.5.0 of Menu that could very well be the
          cause of the problem that you are seeing. There is a patch you can use
          to fix this bug and it is available via SourceForge:

          https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1926120&group_id=165715&atid=836476

          Apply the patch and let me know if it fixes the problem.

          Thanks,
          Todd