Growing Menu IE Bug?

  • beatenbyrobots
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2008
      I think I may have found a bug, but I wanted to make sure that I'm not
      missing something obvious before submitting a bug report. I've created
      a simple test page to demonstrate the problem.

      http://beatenbyrobots.com/demo/growing-menu-demo.html

      I have a menubar with a single item. This item has a menu with ten
      items. I've tested this with Firefox 2.0.0.1 (Mac & PC), Safari 3.1
      (Mac & PC) and IE6. Everything works fine with the exception of IE6.

      In IE6 the scrollbar shows up when the subnav appears even though
      there really shouldn't be anything beyond what is visible in the
      viewport. But most interestingly, each time the subnav appears, its
      width increases. It just keeps growing and growing. However, if I
      remove the following style, the problem goes away:
      .yuimenuitemlabel {
      display: block;
      }

      I've learned that in order for the problem to occur, the subnav has to
      be long enough to force the seemingly unnecessary scrollbar to appear.
      How long that is will, of course, vary depending on your local settings.

      Any thoughts?
    • Todd Kloots
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2008
        "beatenbyrobots" -

        The problem here is the Menu shadow. In order to provide shadow support
        for the Menu's default "Sam" skin, I had to manage the sizing of the
        shadow through script. If you are creating your own custom skin and
        don't want your menus to have a shadow, then simply hide the shadow
        element via CSS. This will solve the IE 6 issue. Here is an example:

        http://yuiblog.com/sandbox/yui/v251/examples/menu/example02.html

        If you DO want your custom skin to have a shadow, I have created a patch
        that corrects the shadow sizing error. Here is an example of how to use
        the patch:

        http://yuiblog.com/sandbox/yui/v251/examples/menu/example03.html

        Of course, you'll still need to provide the necessary custom style
        definition for your shadow.

        - Todd