Re: tooltip usage

  • Thomas S. Sha
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4 12:00 PM
      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "rbnboylan" <rbnyahoo@...> wrote:

      > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl Caldwell"
      > <darryl.caldwell@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello all,
      > >
      > > Does the tooltip api absolute need element IDs? Won't class names
      work?

      > > If not, how would one handle adding tooltips to dynamically generated
      > >
      > > I am interested in creating tooltips with a fair amount of data, like
      > > netflix's popup movie descriptions. Thanks.
      > >
      > > -d
      > >
      > Darryl --
      >
      > I forgot your post from an earlier search, but I am having a similar
      > problem. See: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ydn-javascript/message/2753
      >
      > There is a solution, but it causes slow page load in IE and a nasty
      > clicking sound. Any better solutions would be appreciated.

      The clicking sound is triggered by the Windows "start navigation"
      event sound. The iframe shim, to prevent <select> from bleeding
      through the tooltip, is triggering this sound in IE. There doesn't
      seem to be a way to programatically disable this event, but we're
      still investigating workarounds to the "clicking" sound.

      Regards,
      Thomas
    • rbnboylan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4 7:35 PM
        > The clicking sound is triggered by the Windows "start navigation"
        > event sound. The iframe shim, to prevent <select> from bleeding
        > through the tooltip, is triggering this sound in IE. There doesn't
        > seem to be a way to programatically disable this event, but we're
        > still investigating workarounds to the "clicking" sound.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Thomas

        Thomas,
        Thanks for the help! I turned iframes off and the sound disappeared!
        It's still a bit slow when used with 60 elements, but I don't think
        there is much that can be done. We've cut back to 30 and its acceptable.

        For the benefit of others, here's the code:
        <script type="text/javascript"><!--
        function init() {
        var list = YAHOO.util.Dom.getElementsByClassName("[class
        name]","[containing tag]", document.documentElement);
        for( var i=0; i<list.length; i++ ) {
        var el = 'tooltip'+i;
        var tp = new YAHOO.widget.Tooltip( el, { context:list[i],
        iframe:false} );
        YAHOO.util.Event.addListener(window, "load", init);
        --></script>

        Thanks,

        Chris