Using patterns with other languages?

  • vicmatson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2006
      I am experimenting using Microsoft Visual Web Developer(ASP.NET), Java
      Studio Creator 2, and Adobe Flex. I am interested in using some of
      Yahoo's patterns/widgets and wanting to know witch application can
      accomodate Yahoo patterns.

      I do like the drag and drop component design features in all three
      application so using php may be difficult for me. It seems they all
      have their versions of patterns like ATLAS(autocomplete)Java
      blueprints etc.
    • Charles
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2006

        I am experimenting using Microsoft Visual Web Developer(ASP.NET), Java Studio Creator 2, and Adobe Flex. I am interested in using some of Yahoo's patterns/widgets and wanting to know witch application can accomodate Yahoo patterns.

        Neither your language choice for back-end development or your choice of development environments matters. Go with what works best for you.

        — Charles

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2006
          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "vicmatson" <vicmatson@...> wrote:

          > I am experimenting using Microsoft Visual Web Developer(ASP.NET), Java
          > Studio Creator 2, and Adobe Flex. I am interested in using some of
          > Yahoo's patterns/widgets and wanting to know witch application can
          > accomodate Yahoo patterns.
          >
          > I do like the drag and drop component design features in all three
          > application so using php may be difficult for me. It seems they all
          > have their versions of patterns like ATLAS(autocomplete)Java
          > blueprints etc.

          Well you can certainly use YUI with any server-side language of your
          choice. However, if you use ASP .NET, Atlast should be your first
          choice, and as of Java, see Google Web Toolkit or some others.
        • vicmatson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2006
            Thanks I'm leaning towards MS Visual Web Developer(ASP.NET)as it's a
            visual designer that uses either C++ or VB. It does have some(Atlas)
            patterns but IMO Yahoo's widgets and patterns will be more universal.
            Autocomplete, rating, and drag and drop are all great and the cheat
            sheets look like a great idea. I am not a developer and am learning so
            when I get stuck I can hire by the hour a solution.

            So im guessing downloading the package and putting the needed files on
            a server, pasting the other needed code into an .aspx or it's .aspx.vb
            page/file and configuring them is what I now need to learn.
          • Charles
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 6, 2006

              Well you can certainly use YUI with any server-side language of your choice. However, if you use ASP .NET, Atlast should be your first choice, and as of Java, see Google Web Toolkit or some others.

              There’s really no reason that YUI shouldn’t be your first choice for ASP.NET or Java.

              In fact, that Atlas and GWT are strongly tied to specific back-end languages can be considered a good reason not to use them.

              — Charles

            • vicmatson
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 7, 2006
                The thing I am considering, and please feel free to correct me, is it
                looks like YUI's patterns for the most part are better thought out or
                at least have the features I want.

                I must say Atlas and blueprints work out of the box, you just drag
                them in the visual designer and bind them. OK a little more. Yahoo's
                patterns on the other hand seem to need a much better knowledge of JS.
                It's like they are created for coders only, and the other two make an
                attempt to be of use by beginners that are willing to read the tutorials.

                When GWT came out being Google I thought it would have a visual UI
                also being Google and all. Microsoft of all people, has a wizard that
                sets up a login and password recovery and it took me two hours.