Re: [ydn-javascript] Re: tooltip usage

  • Darryl Caldwell
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3 9:25 PM
      Ouch. That is a problem. I have not received any other responses to my question. I might have to look for another library for my tool tips needs...

      -d

      On 7/3/06, rbnboylan <rbnyahoo@...> wrote:
      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl Caldwell"
      <darryl.caldwell@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > Does the tooltip api absolute need element IDs? Won't class names work?
      >
      > If not, how would one handle adding tooltips to dynamically generated
      >
      > I am interested in creating tooltips with a fair amount of data, like
      > netflix's popup movie descriptions. Thanks.
      >
      > -d

      Darryl --

      I forgot your post from an earlier search, but I am having a similar
      problem.  See: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ydn-javascript/message/2753

      There is a solution, but it causes slow page load in IE and a nasty
      clicking sound.  Any better solutions would be appreciated.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • rbnboylan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4 7:03 AM
        Darryl -

        http://www.thinkvitamin.com/features/javascript/15-things-you-can-do-with-yahoo-ui

        That's an article written by Dustin Diaz, who has his own ToolTips
        implementation. In the article he has a demo of some YUI Tooltips stuff:

        http://www.thinkvitamin.com/misc/yui-demos/demo-11.html

        I have been unable so far to simplify the demo and extract something
        usable, but I know little about javascript, so that probably means
        nothing. If you find a solution that works, please post it or at
        least a link to your working page.

        Thanks.
      • Thomas S. Sha
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4 12:00 PM
          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "rbnboylan" <rbnyahoo@...> wrote:

          > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl Caldwell"
          > <darryl.caldwell@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello all,
          > >
          > > Does the tooltip api absolute need element IDs? Won't class names
          work?

          > > If not, how would one handle adding tooltips to dynamically generated
          > >
          > > I am interested in creating tooltips with a fair amount of data, like
          > > netflix's popup movie descriptions. Thanks.
          > >
          > > -d
          > >
          > Darryl --
          >
          > I forgot your post from an earlier search, but I am having a similar
          > problem. See: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ydn-javascript/message/2753
          >
          > There is a solution, but it causes slow page load in IE and a nasty
          > clicking sound. Any better solutions would be appreciated.

          The clicking sound is triggered by the Windows "start navigation"
          event sound. The iframe shim, to prevent <select> from bleeding
          through the tooltip, is triggering this sound in IE. There doesn't
          seem to be a way to programatically disable this event, but we're
          still investigating workarounds to the "clicking" sound.

          Regards,
          Thomas
        • rbnboylan
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4 7:35 PM
            > The clicking sound is triggered by the Windows "start navigation"
            > event sound. The iframe shim, to prevent <select> from bleeding
            > through the tooltip, is triggering this sound in IE. There doesn't
            > seem to be a way to programatically disable this event, but we're
            > still investigating workarounds to the "clicking" sound.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Thomas

            Thomas,
            Thanks for the help! I turned iframes off and the sound disappeared!
            It's still a bit slow when used with 60 elements, but I don't think
            there is much that can be done. We've cut back to 30 and its acceptable.

            For the benefit of others, here's the code:
            <script type="text/javascript"><!--
            function init() {
            var list = YAHOO.util.Dom.getElementsByClassName("[class
            name]","[containing tag]", document.documentElement);
            for( var i=0; i<list.length; i++ ) {
            var el = 'tooltip'+i;
            var tp = new YAHOO.widget.Tooltip( el, { context:list[i],
            iframe:false} );
            YAHOO.util.Event.addListener(window, "load", init);
            --></script>

            Thanks,

            Chris