Re: autocomplete and help on this group

  • harshanagesh
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2006
      Eric,

      I tried out the example. The good news is that all the
      bugs/inconsistencies I had mentioned are also present in the flickr
      example.

      a) The behaviour of the flickr autocomplete example is different on IE
      and firefox - on IE we do get the horizontal scroll bar too.
      b) If you observe carefully on IE this is what you see : Type the
      letter 'a' in the AC text box and you get a list of completions.
      scroll down with arrow keys to the last entry you first see in the
      list (not the absolute last of the list). The image you see is 1/4th
      buried under the horizontal scroll bar. If instead of image this were
      to be just some text, you would not even see the selected text as it
      would be buried behind the horizontal scroll bar
      c) I am now quite sure that if you disable horizontal scroll bar in
      the flickr example, and try to scroll down using the down arrow key,
      the scroll bar will not move (this behavior will only be in IE).

      I also tried with the changes that Jenny suggested, but they don't fix
      the issues.

      Hope you can release an example with the fixes to these problems or
      atleast help me with some workarounds

      Thanks,
      Harsha

      > Harsha,
      >
      > I apologize that you did not get the help you were looking for. We
      > try to cover as much ground as we can on the group, but some threads
      > do fall through the cracks. With two thousand members and growing,
      > questions frequently get answered by the community even when YUI
      > engineers don't get to them...I'm sorry that this didn't happen in
      > your case.
      >
      > The good news is that one of the existing AutoComplete examples has a
      > vertical scrollbar:
      >
      > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/autocomplete/flickr_xml.html
      >
      > Hopefully that example will get you going in the right direction.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Eric
      >

      > On Jun 28, 2006, at 5:15 PM, harshanagesh wrote:
      >

      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > Wondering if anybody can please post a working example of
      > > autocomplete text box with a vertical scroll bar ?
      > >
      > > In general help on this group stinks. I have been trying to get help
      > > on this very same topic for the last 3 weeks and have posted atleast 4
      > > times. Postings in this group just inundate on topics ranging from
      > > general javascript questions to specific ones and soon genuine
      > > questions get lost in crosstalk. This library is in its version 0.11
      > > and if help at this early stage is so flawed, I am not sure what
      > > should we expect in future from folks at yahoo. Projects that are much
      > > more mature seem to have better online user base and support. I am
      > > indeed venting my frustration as I think there can be a better channel
      > > in which we can perhaps have a different avenue to post questions on
      > > specific subtopics. Perhaps folks at yahoo suggest ?
      > >
      > > Harsha

    • jennykhan
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 12, 2006
        Hi Harsha,

        Thank you for pointing this out. You can expect it to be fixed in the
        next release. In the meantime, the following patch should be able to
        keep you going. Let me know if you have any further questions.

        Thanks!
        Jenny

        In the _moveSelection function, find this code:

        // Scroll the container if necessary
        if((YAHOO.util.Dom.getStyle(this._oContainer._oContent,"overflow") ==
        "auto") &&
        (nNewItemIndex > -1) && (nNewItemIndex < this._nDisplayedItems)) {

        and replace it with:

        // Scroll the container if necessary
        if(((YAHOO.util.Dom.getStyle(this._oContainer._oContent,"overflow") ==
        "auto") ||
        (YAHOO.util.Dom.getStyle(this._oContainer._oContent,"overflowY") ==

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "harshanagesh"
        <harsha.nagesh@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > > autocomplete text box with a vertical scroll bar ?
        > > >
        > > > In general help on this group stinks. I have been trying to get help
        > > > on this very same topic for the last 3 weeks and have posted
        atleast 4
        > > > times. Postings in this group just inundate on topics ranging from
        > > > general javascript questions to specific ones and soon genuine
        > > > questions get lost in crosstalk. This library is in its version 0.11
        > > > and if help at this early stage is so flawed, I am not sure what
        > > > should we expect in future from folks at yahoo. Projects that
        are much
        > > > more mature seem to have better online user base and support. I am
        > > > indeed venting my frustration as I think there can be a better
        channel
        > > > in which we can perhaps have a different avenue to post questions on
        > > > specific subtopics. Perhaps folks at yahoo suggest ?

      • jennykhan
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 12, 2006
          Oops, sorry Harsha, the patch I just sent you applies only to version
          0.11 that has just been released. If you are on an older version then
          you'll need to applying the following.

          Thanks!
          Jenny

          In the _moveSelection function, find the following code:

          // Scroll the container if necessary
          if((YAHOO.util.Dom.getStyle(this._oContainer,"overflow") ==
          "auto") &&
          (nNewItemIndex > -1) && (nNewItemIndex < this._nDisplayedItems)) {

          and replace with the following:

          // Scroll the container if necessary
          if(((YAHOO.util.Dom.getStyle(this._oContainer,"overflow") ==
          "auto") ||
          (YAHOO.util.Dom.getStyle(this._oContainer,"overflowY") ==