tooltip usage

  • Darryl Caldwell
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2006
      Hello all,

      Does the tooltip api absolute need element IDs? Won't class names work?

      If not, how would one handle adding tooltips to dynamically generated <td>elements?

      I am interested in creating tooltips with a fair amount of data, like netflix's popup movie descriptions. Thanks.

      -d

    • rbnboylan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3 5:04 PM
        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl Caldwell"
        <darryl.caldwell@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > Does the tooltip api absolute need element IDs? Won't class names work?
        >
        > If not, how would one handle adding tooltips to dynamically generated
        >
        > I am interested in creating tooltips with a fair amount of data, like
        > netflix's popup movie descriptions. Thanks.
        >
        > -d

        Darryl --

        I forgot your post from an earlier search, but I am having a similar
        problem. See: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ydn-javascript/message/2753

        There is a solution, but it causes slow page load in IE and a nasty
        clicking sound. Any better solutions would be appreciated.
      • Darryl Caldwell
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3 9:25 PM
          Ouch. That is a problem. I have not received any other responses to my question. I might have to look for another library for my tool tips needs...

          -d

          <darryl.caldwell@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > Does the tooltip api absolute need element IDs? Won't class names work?
          >
          > If not, how would one handle adding tooltips to dynamically generated
          >
          > I am interested in creating tooltips with a fair amount of data, like
          > netflix's popup movie descriptions. Thanks.
          >
          > -d

          Darryl --

          I forgot your post from an earlier search, but I am having a similar
          problem.  See: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ydn-javascript/message/2753

          There is a solution, but it causes slow page load in IE and a nasty
          clicking sound.  Any better solutions would be appreciated.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • rbnboylan
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4 7:03 AM
            Darryl -

            http://www.thinkvitamin.com/features/javascript/15-things-you-can-do-with-yahoo-ui

            That's an article written by Dustin Diaz, who has his own ToolTips
            implementation. In the article he has a demo of some YUI Tooltips stuff:

            http://www.thinkvitamin.com/misc/yui-demos/demo-11.html

            I have been unable so far to simplify the demo and extract something
            usable, but I know little about javascript, so that probably means
            nothing. If you find a solution that works, please post it or at
            least a link to your working page.

            Thanks.
          • Thomas S. Sha
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 4 12:00 PM
              --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "rbnboylan" <rbnyahoo@...> wrote:

              > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl Caldwell"
              > <darryl.caldwell@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello all,
              > >
              > > Does the tooltip api absolute need element IDs? Won't class names
              work?

              > > If not, how would one handle adding tooltips to dynamically generated
              > >
              > > I am interested in creating tooltips with a fair amount of data, like
              > > netflix's popup movie descriptions. Thanks.
              > >
              > > -d
              > >
              > Darryl --
              >
              > I forgot your post from an earlier search, but I am having a similar
              > problem. See: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ydn-javascript/message/2753
              >
              > There is a solution, but it causes slow page load in IE and a nasty
              > clicking sound. Any better solutions would be appreciated.

              The clicking sound is triggered by the Windows "start navigation"
              event sound. The iframe shim, to prevent <select> from bleeding
              through the tooltip, is triggering this sound in IE. There doesn't
              seem to be a way to programatically disable this event, but we're
              still investigating workarounds to the "clicking" sound.

              Regards,
              Thomas
            • rbnboylan
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 4 7:35 PM
                > The clicking sound is triggered by the Windows "start navigation"
                > event sound. The iframe shim, to prevent <select> from bleeding
                > through the tooltip, is triggering this sound in IE. There doesn't
                > seem to be a way to programatically disable this event, but we're
                > still investigating workarounds to the "clicking" sound.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Thomas

                Thomas,
                Thanks for the help! I turned iframes off and the sound disappeared!
                It's still a bit slow when used with 60 elements, but I don't think
                there is much that can be done. We've cut back to 30 and its acceptable.

                For the benefit of others, here's the code:
                <script type="text/javascript"><!--
                function init() {
                var list = YAHOO.util.Dom.getElementsByClassName("[class
                name]","[containing tag]", document.documentElement);
                for( var i=0; i<list.length; i++ ) {
                var el = 'tooltip'+i;
                var tp = new YAHOO.widget.Tooltip( el, { context:list[i],
                iframe:false} );
                YAHOO.util.Event.addListener(window, "load", init);
                --></script>

                Thanks,

                Chris