autocomplete and help on this group

  • harshanagesh
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 28, 2006
      Hi,

      Wondering if anybody can please post a working example of
      autocomplete text box with a vertical scroll bar ?

      In general help on this group stinks. I have been trying to get help
      on this very same topic for the last 3 weeks and have posted atleast 4
      times. Postings in this group just inundate on topics ranging from
      general javascript questions to specific ones and soon genuine
      questions get lost in crosstalk. This library is in its version 0.11
      and if help at this early stage is so flawed, I am not sure what
      should we expect in future from folks at yahoo. Projects that are much
      more mature seem to have better online user base and support. I am
      indeed venting my frustration as I think there can be a better channel
      in which we can perhaps have a different avenue to post questions on
      specific subtopics. Perhaps folks at yahoo suggest ?

      Harsha
    • Eric Miraglia
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 28, 2006
        Harsha,

        I apologize that you did not get the help you were looking for.  We try to cover as much ground as we can on the group, but some threads do fall through the cracks.  With two thousand members and growing, questions frequently get answered by the community even when YUI engineers don't get to them...I'm sorry that this didn't happen in your case.

        The good news is that one of the existing AutoComplete examples has a vertical scrollbar:

        Hopefully that example will get you going in the right direction.

        Regards,
        Eric

        On Jun 28, 2006, at 5:15 PM, harshanagesh wrote:

[...]

      • jennykhan
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 29, 2006
          Hi Harsha,

          I'm no CSS expert, but you might want to try defining
          overflow-x:hidden *after* overflow:auto in your CSS.

          Jenny

          > Harsha,
          >
          > I apologize that you did not get the help you were looking for. We
          > try to cover as much ground as we can on the group, but some threads
          > do fall through the cracks. With two thousand members and growing,
          > questions frequently get answered by the community even when YUI
          > engineers don't get to them...I'm sorry that this didn't happen in
          > your case.
          >
          > The good news is that one of the existing AutoComplete examples has a
          > vertical scrollbar:
          >
          > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/autocomplete/flickr_xml.html
          >
          > Hopefully that example will get you going in the right direction.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Eric
          >

          > On Jun 28, 2006, at 5:15 PM, harshanagesh wrote:
          >

          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > Wondering if anybody can please post a working example of
          > > autocomplete text box with a vertical scroll bar ?
          > >
          > > In general help on this group stinks. I have been trying to get help
          > > on this very same topic for the last 3 weeks and have posted atleast 4
          > > times. Postings in this group just inundate on topics ranging from
          > > general javascript questions to specific ones and soon genuine
          > > questions get lost in crosstalk. This library is in its version 0.11
          > > and if help at this early stage is so flawed, I am not sure what
          > > should we expect in future from folks at yahoo. Projects that are much
          > > more mature seem to have better online user base and support. I am
          > > indeed venting my frustration as I think there can be a better channel
          > > in which we can perhaps have a different avenue to post questions on
          > > specific subtopics. Perhaps folks at yahoo suggest ?
          > >
          > > Harsha

        • harshanagesh
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 29, 2006
            Eric,

            Thanks for replying back. I will try the example..
            The real problem I had was that, I could get the vertical scroll bar,
            while I wanted to disable the horizontal scroll bar. I could achieve
            this too in my code (which had previously posted), but unfortunately
            this code works well only on Firefox. The very same code had problems
            on IE. On IE I see the following behavior - When I use the down arrow
            key to scroll through the list of completions, after going past the
            first set of completions that we see (say 10) the current selection
            seems to be advancing, but the vertical scroll bar does not move down.

            and I am not sure how do I go about debugging this..

            I have posted the code I used in message 2475
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ydn-javascript/message/2475

            I'll try to start with the flickr example and see if I can avoid the
            problem.

            Thanks,
            Harsha

            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Eric Miraglia <miraglia@...>
            wrote:

            > Harsha,
            >
            > I apologize that you did not get the help you were looking for.
            We
            > try to cover as much ground as we can on the group, but some
            threads
            > do fall through the cracks. With two thousand members and
            growing,
            > questions frequently get answered by the community even when YUI
            > engineers don't get to them...I'm sorry that this didn't happen in
            > your case.
            >
            > The good news is that one of the existing AutoComplete examples has
            > vertical scrollbar:
            >
            > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/autocomplete/flickr_xml.html
            >
            > Hopefully that example will get you going in the right direction.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Eric
            >

            > On Jun 28, 2006, at 5:15 PM, harshanagesh wrote:
            >

            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > Wondering if anybody can please post a working example of
            > > autocomplete text box with a vertical scroll bar ?
            > >
            > > In general help on this group stinks. I have been trying to get
            help
            > > on this very same topic for the last 3 weeks and have posted
            atleast 4
            > > times. Postings in this group just inundate on topics ranging from
            > > general javascript questions to specific ones and soon genuine
            > > questions get lost in crosstalk. This library is in its version
            0.11
            > > and if help at this early stage is so flawed, I am not sure what
            > > should we expect in future from folks at yahoo. Projects that are
            much
            > > more mature seem to have better online user base and support. I am
            > > indeed venting my frustration as I think there can be a better
            channel
            > > in which we can perhaps have a different avenue to post questions
            on
            > > specific subtopics. Perhaps folks at yahoo suggest ?
            > >
            > > Harsha

          • harshanagesh
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1, 2006
              Eric,

              I tried out the example. The good news is that all the
              bugs/inconsistencies I had mentioned are also present in the flickr
              example.

              a) The behaviour of the flickr autocomplete example is different on IE
              and firefox - on IE we do get the horizontal scroll bar too.
              b) If you observe carefully on IE this is what you see : Type the
              letter 'a' in the AC text box and you get a list of completions.
              scroll down with arrow keys to the last entry you first see in the
              list (not the absolute last of the list). The image you see is 1/4th
              buried under the horizontal scroll bar. If instead of image this were
              to be just some text, you would not even see the selected text as it
              would be buried behind the horizontal scroll bar
              c) I am now quite sure that if you disable horizontal scroll bar in
              the flickr example, and try to scroll down using the down arrow key,
              the scroll bar will not move (this behavior will only be in IE).

              I also tried with the changes that Jenny suggested, but they don't fix
              the issues.

              Hope you can release an example with the fixes to these problems or
              atleast help me with some workarounds

              Thanks,
              Harsha

              > Harsha,
              >
              > I apologize that you did not get the help you were looking for. We
              > try to cover as much ground as we can on the group, but some threads
              > do fall through the cracks. With two thousand members and growing,
              > questions frequently get answered by the community even when YUI
              > engineers don't get to them...I'm sorry that this didn't happen in
              > your case.
              >
              > The good news is that one of the existing AutoComplete examples has a
              > vertical scrollbar:
              >
              > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/autocomplete/flickr_xml.html
              >
              > Hopefully that example will get you going in the right direction.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Eric
              >

              > On Jun 28, 2006, at 5:15 PM, harshanagesh wrote:
              >

              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > Wondering if anybody can please post a working example of
              > > autocomplete text box with a vertical scroll bar ?
              > >
              > > In general help on this group stinks. I have been trying to get help
              > > on this very same topic for the last 3 weeks and have posted atleast 4
              > > times. Postings in this group just inundate on topics ranging from
              > > general javascript questions to specific ones and soon genuine
              > > questions get lost in crosstalk. This library is in its version 0.11
              > > and if help at this early stage is so flawed, I am not sure what
              > > should we expect in future from folks at yahoo. Projects that are much
              > > more mature seem to have better online user base and support. I am
              > > indeed venting my frustration as I think there can be a better channel
              > > in which we can perhaps have a different avenue to post questions on
              > > specific subtopics. Perhaps folks at yahoo suggest ?
              > >
              > > Harsha

            • jennykhan
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 12, 2006
                Hi Harsha,

                Thank you for pointing this out. You can expect it to be fixed in the
                next release. In the meantime, the following patch should be able to
                keep you going. Let me know if you have any further questions.

                Thanks!
                Jenny

                In the _moveSelection function, find this code:

                // Scroll the container if necessary
                if((YAHOO.util.Dom.getStyle(this._oContainer._oContent,"overflow") ==
                "auto") &&
                (nNewItemIndex > -1) && (nNewItemIndex < this._nDisplayedItems)) {

                and replace it with:

                // Scroll the container if necessary
                if(((YAHOO.util.Dom.getStyle(this._oContainer._oContent,"overflow") ==
                "auto") ||
                (YAHOO.util.Dom.getStyle(this._oContainer._oContent,"overflowY") ==

                --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "harshanagesh"
                <harsha.nagesh@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > > autocomplete text box with a vertical scroll bar ?
                > > >
                > > > In general help on this group stinks. I have been trying to get help
                > > > on this very same topic for the last 3 weeks and have posted
                atleast 4
                > > > times. Postings in this group just inundate on topics ranging from
                > > > general javascript questions to specific ones and soon genuine
                > > > questions get lost in crosstalk. This library is in its version 0.11
                > > > and if help at this early stage is so flawed, I am not sure what
                > > > should we expect in future from folks at yahoo. Projects that
                are much
                > > > more mature seem to have better online user base and support. I am
                > > > indeed venting my frustration as I think there can be a better
                channel
                > > > in which we can perhaps have a different avenue to post questions on
                > > > specific subtopics. Perhaps folks at yahoo suggest ?

              • jennykhan
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 12, 2006
                  Oops, sorry Harsha, the patch I just sent you applies only to version
                  0.11 that has just been released. If you are on an older version then
                  you'll need to applying the following.

                  Thanks!
                  Jenny

                  In the _moveSelection function, find the following code:

                  // Scroll the container if necessary
                  if((YAHOO.util.Dom.getStyle(this._oContainer,"overflow") ==
                  "auto") &&
                  (nNewItemIndex > -1) && (nNewItemIndex < this._nDisplayedItems)) {

                  and replace with the following:

                  // Scroll the container if necessary
                  if(((YAHOO.util.Dom.getStyle(this._oContainer,"overflow") ==
                  "auto") ||
                  (YAHOO.util.Dom.getStyle(this._oContainer,"overflowY") ==