Re: long and complex PHP/JS/AJAX/RSS question

  • Del
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2008
      good point Jing, thanks.

      i think the problem here is that i would be trying to do an AJAX
      request across domains -- this is impossible to do.

      so a proxy script must be setup.. but I am unsure how to do this.

      can someone help?

      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Jing Ceawlin" <zjply4000@...>
      wrote:

      > One thing is wrong for sure. You shouldn't have put <script
      > type="text/javascript">..........<script> inside your ssirss2.js
      file. :)

      > Regards,
      > Jing
      >
      > On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 8:18 AM, Del <dhanoad@...> wrote:
      >
      > > how do I create a script that serves RSS headlines hosted on my
      server
      > > that users can cut and paste simple code to embed in their blogs/sites
      > > that outputs those RSS headlines?
      > >
      > > My Server: creates XML
      > >
      > > User Site: user cuts and pastes code into his/her site, something
      > > simple like:
      > >
      > > <script type="text/javascript"
      > > src="http://www.server.com/code.js"></script>
      > >
      > > how can this be done using YUI?
      > >
      > > -----
      > >
      > > Step 1: create the XML (done):
      > > http://www.gabbr.com/promotion/linkexchange/ssirss.php
      > >
      > > Step 2: create the "code.js" script (done)
      > > http://www.gabbr.com/promotion/linkexchange/ssirss2.js
      > >
      > > Step 3: cut and paste the JS onto an "external" site (done)
      > > http://www.gabbr.com/drdel/test.php
      > >
      > > problem is.. nothing displays.
      > >
      > > I am obviously doing something wrong. I don't even know if what I am
      > > doing is possible. This is just guess work/experimentation on my part.
      > >
      > > Can someone help me out?

    • Jing Ceawlin
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2008
        I don't have too much experience in this, but I just found one solution which might help.
        I think it's better you read it yourself ;) http://ajaxpatterns.org/Cross-Domain_Proxy#On-Demand_Javascript

        Best Regards,
        Jing

        wrote:

        > One thing is wrong for sure. You shouldn't have put <script
        > type="text/javascript">..........<script> inside your ssirss2.js
        file. :)

        > Regards,
        > Jing
        >
        > On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 8:18 AM, Del <dhanoad@...> wrote:
        >
        > > how do I create a script that serves RSS headlines hosted on my
        server
        > > that users can cut and paste simple code to embed in their blogs/sites
        > > that outputs those RSS headlines?
        > >
        > > My Server: creates XML
        > >
        > > User Site: user cuts and pastes code into his/her site, something
        > > simple like:
        > >
        > > <script type="text/javascript"
        > > src="http://www.server.com/code.js"></script>
        > >
        > > how can this be done using YUI?
        > >
        > > -----
        > >
        > > Step 1: create the XML (done):
        > > http://www.gabbr.com/promotion/linkexchange/ssirss.php
        > >
        > > Step 2: create the "code.js" script (done)
        > > http://www.gabbr.com/promotion/linkexchange/ssirss2.js
        > >
        > > Step 3: cut and paste the JS onto an "external" site (done)
        > > http://www.gabbr.com/drdel/test.php
        > >
        > > problem is.. nothing displays.
        > >
        > > I am obviously doing something wrong. I don't even know if what I am
        > > doing is possible. This is just guess work/experimentation on my part.
        > >
        > > Can someone help me out?

      • Caridy PatiƱo Mayea
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2008
          Hello Del,

          If you are trying to create a plug and play widget that must work in
          any environment (another people sites), I will recommend you to use
          json instead of XML, and then you will be able to use the YAHOO Get
          Utility without violate the cross domain's policy.

          Best Regards,
          Caridy Patino (caridy at gmail.com)
          http://www.bubbling-library.com/