Re: [ydn-javascript] long and complex PHP/JS/AJAX/RSS question

  • Jing Ceawlin
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1 4:42 PM
      One thing is wrong for sure. You shouldn't have put <script type="text/javascript">..........<script> inside your ssirss2.js file. :)

      Regards,
      Jing

      On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 8:18 AM, Del <dhanoad@...> wrote:

      how do I create a script that serves RSS headlines hosted on my server
      that users can cut and paste simple code to embed in their blogs/sites
      that outputs those RSS headlines?

      My Server: creates XML

      User Site: user cuts and pastes code into his/her site, something
      simple like:

      <script type="text/javascript"
      src="http://www.server.com/code.js"></script>

      how can this be done using YUI?

      -----

      Step 1: create the XML (done):
      http://www.gabbr.com/promotion/linkexchange/ssirss.php

      Step 2: create the "code.js" script (done)
      http://www.gabbr.com/promotion/linkexchange/ssirss2.js

      Step 3: cut and paste the JS onto an "external" site (done)
      http://www.gabbr.com/drdel/test.php

      problem is.. nothing displays.

      I am obviously doing something wrong. I don't even know if what I am
      doing is possible. This is just guess work/experimentation on my part.

      Can someone help me out?

    • Del
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2 2:40 AM
        good point Jing, thanks.

        i think the problem here is that i would be trying to do an AJAX
        request across domains -- this is impossible to do.

        so a proxy script must be setup.. but I am unsure how to do this.

        can someone help?

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Jing Ceawlin" <zjply4000@...>
        wrote:

        > One thing is wrong for sure. You shouldn't have put <script
        > type="text/javascript">..........<script> inside your ssirss2.js
        file. :)

        > Regards,
        > Jing
        >
        > On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 8:18 AM, Del <dhanoad@...> wrote:
        >
        > > how do I create a script that serves RSS headlines hosted on my
        server
        > > that users can cut and paste simple code to embed in their blogs/sites
        > > that outputs those RSS headlines?
        > >
        > > My Server: creates XML
        > >
        > > User Site: user cuts and pastes code into his/her site, something
        > > simple like:
        > >
        > > <script type="text/javascript"
        > > src="http://www.server.com/code.js"></script>
        > >
        > > how can this be done using YUI?
        > >
        > > -----
        > >
        > > Step 1: create the XML (done):
        > > http://www.gabbr.com/promotion/linkexchange/ssirss.php
        > >
        > > Step 2: create the "code.js" script (done)
        > > http://www.gabbr.com/promotion/linkexchange/ssirss2.js
        > >
        > > Step 3: cut and paste the JS onto an "external" site (done)
        > > http://www.gabbr.com/drdel/test.php
        > >
        > > problem is.. nothing displays.
        > >
        > > I am obviously doing something wrong. I don't even know if what I am
        > > doing is possible. This is just guess work/experimentation on my part.
        > >
        > > Can someone help me out?

      • Jing Ceawlin
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2 3:02 AM
          I don't have too much experience in this, but I just found one solution which might help.
          I think it's better you read it yourself ;) http://ajaxpatterns.org/Cross-Domain_Proxy#On-Demand_Javascript

          Best Regards,
          Jing

          wrote:

          > One thing is wrong for sure. You shouldn't have put <script
          > type="text/javascript">..........<script> inside your ssirss2.js
          file. :)

          > Regards,
          > Jing
          >
          > On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 8:18 AM, Del <dhanoad@...> wrote:
          >
          > > how do I create a script that serves RSS headlines hosted on my
          server
          > > that users can cut and paste simple code to embed in their blogs/sites
          > > that outputs those RSS headlines?
          > >
          > > My Server: creates XML
          > >
          > > User Site: user cuts and pastes code into his/her site, something
          > > simple like:
          > >
          > > <script type="text/javascript"
          > > src="http://www.server.com/code.js"></script>
          > >
          > > how can this be done using YUI?
          > >
          > > -----
          > >
          > > Step 1: create the XML (done):
          > > http://www.gabbr.com/promotion/linkexchange/ssirss.php
          > >
          > > Step 2: create the "code.js" script (done)
          > > http://www.gabbr.com/promotion/linkexchange/ssirss2.js
          > >
          > > Step 3: cut and paste the JS onto an "external" site (done)
          > > http://www.gabbr.com/drdel/test.php
          > >
          > > problem is.. nothing displays.
          > >
          > > I am obviously doing something wrong. I don't even know if what I am
          > > doing is possible. This is just guess work/experimentation on my part.
          > >
          > > Can someone help me out?

        • Caridy PatiƱo Mayea
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2 8:55 AM
            Hello Del,

            If you are trying to create a plug and play widget that must work in
            any environment (another people sites), I will recommend you to use
            json instead of XML, and then you will be able to use the YAHOO Get
            Utility without violate the cross domain's policy.

            Best Regards,
            Caridy Patino (caridy at gmail.com)
            http://www.bubbling-library.com/