Pagenated Form Dialog. How ??

  • chaluwa
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1 11:43 AM
      I need a way to make a pagenated dialog, one with contents spread
      accross sections with one section only visible at a time.

      I am currently working on a project with yui and we often use Dialog
      to allow the user make inputs, this only works well when the form
      fields are few. In the case of several input fields in the dialog's
      form, we tend to have an ugly long dialog and I know one day we may
      have input requirements that will end us having a dialog with so much
      fields than can't contain the browser's viewport height. Right now, we
      use a sort of 'single entry per line' design on the dialog form, even
      if we decide to spread fields horizontally we can't deny the
      possibility of still over-shooting the browser's viewport height (of
      course the dialog has a set width, you would not expect it to be as
      wide as the browser window just to allow for many form fields).

      With the case for such a widget established (this is not necessarily a
      feature request, lets say a 'discussion request'), it has to be able
      to support serveral submit modes, eg
      mode 1. submits all entries(as if in a single form) at once to a server.
      mode 2. submits a page (a set of entries) to the server at a given
      time, say when the user clicks next to see the next page.
      mode 3. submits a set of fields to the server on some event( when the
      user enters a certain value to a certain field or when the user
      attempts to enter value in a field that needs to be populated
      dynamically or that needs to populate another field dynamically.
      mode 4. whatever.

      Suggestions ...

      Regards.
      Charles Odili
    • Jing Ceawlin

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1 7:45 PM
          > I think a combination of Dialog and TabView can serve your need.

          If the forms are spread across tabs, (I hope will disabled and only
          navigable with a set of previous and next buttons), is there a way to
          access them from another tab, like accessing variables across frames
          in a frameset.

          I may have to extend YAHOO.widget.TabView then.

          Regards.
        • Jing Ceawlin
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1 8:56 PM
            Surely you can disable any tab. But one thing to notice, you can only move to an enabled tab. So before using tabView.set('activeTab'....) or tabView.set('activeTabIndex'...) to change the active tab, you have to enable it using tab.set('disabled', false).
            About multiple forms, of course you can access any form element freely. I guess I don't quite understand your concern.

            Hope this helps :)

            Jing

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2 12:02 AM
              > guess I don't quite understand your concern.

              Thanks, just wanted to sample opinions on the concerns I had about it
              (not that they were particularly difficult). I've actually started on
              a draft that used tabs, haven't added forms yet, just making sure the
              tabbed navigation (step 1 of 2, step 2 of 2, etc) are working well,
              will let you know when I'm done if you're interested.

              Thanks again.
            • Jing Ceawlin
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 2 2:47 AM
                No problem. And I'm very interested in how you do it ;)

                Best Regards,
                Jing