Re: ColumnChart isn't working with TimeAxis

  • d.zhiharev
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1 3:52 AM
      I'll try to explain my needs. I want to display month system activity
      (count of successfull and failed transactions per day). On some days
      (e.x. weekend) there is no any activity. My server returns something
      like this:

      [{day:"01.01.01", fcnt:3, scnt:2},
      {day:"02.01.01", fcnt:4, scnt:6},
      {day:"05.01.01", fcnt:4, scnt:0},
      {day:"07.01.01", fcnt:4, scnt:4},
      {day:"08.01.01", fcnt:3, scnt:2},
      {day:"09.01.01", fcnt:2, scnt:2},
      ]

      As you can see, there are no any activities on 03.01.01 and 06.01.01

      If I use CategoryAxis, Operator will not be able to determine this
      days, becouse there are no holes on chart.

      On the other hand, if I use TimeAxis with LineChart, Operator will
      see direct line between 02.01.01 and 05.01.01 and will think, that on
      03.01.01 was 4 successfull and 3 failed transactions.

      The only way I know to resolve this problem is using TimeAxis with
      ColumnChart. Some charting tools can display such chart (e.x. MS
      Excel 2007).

      To get similar behavior I use ColumnChart with CategoryAxis and
      insert missing records in apropriate position. I think, what
      ColumnChart should also use CategoryAxis, calculate minor unit and
      inserts missing data automatically by itself in this case.

      By the way, there is a problem with ColumnChart with CategoryAxis. If
      XAxis title long anough, then last category column moved out of plot
      area. I can post code example, if it needed.

      Best regards,
      Dmitry Zhiharev

      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Josh Tynjala" <jtynjala@...>
      wrote:

      > This is the expected behavior. A ColumnChart, by design, may only
      use a
      > CategoryAxis for its xAxis value. Similarly, a BarChart can only
      use a
      > CategoryAxis for its yAxis value. The reasoning behind this
      restriction
      > is that columns and bars from multiple series are meant to cluster
      > around a single point (the category). This involves offsetting
      them a
      > bit to make them all appear side by side. That simply doesn't make
      sense
      > on a TimeAxis where the positioning is so important.
      >
      > Josh Tynjala
      > Yahoo!
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Hubert Garrido
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2008
        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "d.zhiharev" <dvz@...> wrote:

        > I'll try to explain my needs. I want to display month system activity

        I'll second that.

        I too need to display charts using time data as the x axis, and while
        it works with line charts, it doesn't mean anything with non
        continuous data.

        I tried to set the line width to 0 to no avail.

        Bar charts could do it, but they don't work as a *time* axis that is.
        I could go happily with point charts (read line charts... without
        lines), but I didn't succeed at that.
      • Josh Tynjala
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2008

          You will be able to turn off the lines on a line chart in an upcoming release.

          Josh Tynjala
          Yahoo!