Enclosed pages ( Grids, Treeview, etc. )

  • Brian McCullough
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 29, 2008
      I have been trying to show a "foreign" web page in mine, without a lot
      of success. If I use JS to pop up a complete window, I can make it
      work, but I would much rather include the data in my own page.

      I am using CURL to capture a page, and my page is "wrapped" within
      Drupal, using Grid to lay out the page. I am using Grid F ( 1/4, 3/4 )
      to lay out the page, wanting to use the right ( 3/4 ) section to contain
      the data that I am retrieving from Curl.

      However, I find that the page "breaks out" of the grid frame and I don't
      have control over the frame boundaries.

      I have also tried using Containers and Overlays to do the same things,
      to the same effect.

      Does anybody have any suggestions for keeping foreign web pages under
      control?

      Thanks,
      Brian
    • Eric Miraglia

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3 2:52 PM
          On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 01:56:00PM -0800, Eric Miraglia wrote:
          > Brian,
          >
          > I'd recommend using an iFrame for this implementation. The page
          > you're capturing doubtless has a lot of HTML structure to it, some of
          > which is being affected by Grids styling. There are other reasons,
          > too, why an iframe might be a more predictable and secure solution to
          > the problem. However, with respect to Grids, it may require a lot of
          > effort stripping out the <html>, <body> and other tags from the page
          > you're absorbing -- and that, in turn, could affect the way that
          > page's CSS functions.

          Thank you, Eric.

          I had basically come to that conclusion myself. I do need to be able to
          create "context menus" ( right-click menus ) within the captured page,
          but I suspect that I will be able to do this much more easily than using
          the "new window" procedure that was already being used.

          I also discovered the HTML "<object ></object >" tags, but I can't seem
          to get the "captured page" to render. I keep getting 404 errors, and it
          doesn't seem to respect the size of the enclosing <div >, as the W3
          documentation seems to suggest it should. ( at present, the 404 error is
          showing in a micro-window, well inside the boundaries of the 3/4 grid
          frame. I was using the captured page's contents, as returned by CURL,
          as the "data" component of the "<object>". No go.

          Brian