Drag and Drop Panels in Layout

  • memibeltrame
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 29, 2008
      Hi all

      I am working on a project which is supposed to use netvibes-style drag
      and drop panels inside a viewport. At the moment I'm trying to find
      out if this can be done with YUI (which i am quite fond of).

      I have looked at loads of posts and dav's impressive examples and have
      the feeling it could be done in YUI but there are still a few major
      question marks:

      This is what I have so far (which is not much, I admit)
      http://memibeltrame.ch/viewport/
      It uses Davs "Panel inside Full Page Layout"-Example, patched with the
      left panel patch and slightly altered.
      It divides the center region in two columns, one 33% the other 66% of
      width. Panels should be draggable fom one column to the other. They
      should not be free floating but aligned.

      These are the Questions:
      General:
      Has this already been done anywhere with YUI 2.5.0?
      Do you reckon this is possible with reasonable effort? (2 days work
      for the unexperienced and yet confused YUI enthusiast)

      Layout Division:
      What is the best way to divide the center-region? Nested Layout or
      just divs as in my example?

      Panel Positioning / z-index of Panels:
      Is there a way to assign a Panel as a child of a specified div,
      respectively to render a panel to a div? I could not get Panels stop
      floating, but found this
      http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ydn-javascript/message/26334
      which suggests a few solutions. I am not sure which one to go for.

      Drag and drop:
      Panel Positioning and Drag and Drop. waht is the best way to manage
      the dragging from one column to the other? dragging into a target or
      defining the tick as the width of column?

      Any help on this is very much appreciated. If this could be turned in
      an example for others to be used even better.

      Chers!
      Memi