ColumnChart isn't working with TimeAxis

  • d.zhiharev
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 29, 2008
      I want to display ColumnChart on TimeAxis, but see nothing.
      For example:
      var stats = [
      { date: new Date(2000,1,1), value: 1 },
      { date: new Date(2000,1,2), value: 2 },
      { date: new Date(2000,1,5), value: 1 }
      ];

      var myDataSource = new YAHOO.util.DataSource(
      stats, {
      responseType: YAHOO.util.DataSource.TYPE_JSARRAY,
      responseSchema: {fields:["date", "value"]
      }
      });

      //this code displays ColumChart on CategoryAxis - works well
      new YAHOO.widget.ColumnChart("chart1", myDataSource, {
      xField: "date",
      yField: "value"
      });

      //his code displays LineChart on TimeAxis - works well
      new YAHOO.widget.LineChart("chart2", myDataSource, {
      xAxis: new YAHOO.widget.TimeAxis(),
      xField: "date",
      yField: "value"
      });

      //but this code displays only TimeAxis without any chart :(
      new YAHOO.widget.ColumnChart("chart3", myDataSource, {
      xAxis: new YAHOO.widget.TimeAxis(),
      xField: "date",
      yField: "value"
      });
      I didn't find any examples of ColumnChart with TimeAxis and didn't
      find any remarks in documentation about this problem.

      Is it possible to use ColumnChart with TimeAxis?
      What should I do?

      Best regards,
      Dmitry Zhiharev
    • Josh Tynjala
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 29, 2008

        This is the expected behavior. A ColumnChart, by design, may only use a CategoryAxis for its xAxis value. Similarly, a BarChart can only use a CategoryAxis for its yAxis value. The reasoning behind this restriction is that columns and bars from multiple series are meant to cluster around a single point (the category). This involves offsetting them a bit to make them all appear side by side. That simply doesn’t make sense on a TimeAxis where the positioning is so important.

        Josh Tynjala
        Yahoo!

        I want to display ColumnChart on TimeAxis, but see nothing.
        For example:
        ------------ --------- --------- --------- --
        var stats = [
        { date: new Date(2000,1, 1), value: 1 },
        { date: new Date(2000,1, 2), value: 2 },
        { date: new Date(2000,1, 5), value: 1 }
        ];

        ------------ --------- --------- --------- -------

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1 3:52 AM
          I'll try to explain my needs. I want to display month system activity
          (count of successfull and failed transactions per day). On some days
          (e.x. weekend) there is no any activity. My server returns something
          like this:

          [{day:"01.01.01", fcnt:3, scnt:2},
          {day:"02.01.01", fcnt:4, scnt:6},
          {day:"05.01.01", fcnt:4, scnt:0},
          {day:"07.01.01", fcnt:4, scnt:4},
          {day:"08.01.01", fcnt:3, scnt:2},
          {day:"09.01.01", fcnt:2, scnt:2},
          ]

          As you can see, there are no any activities on 03.01.01 and 06.01.01

          If I use CategoryAxis, Operator will not be able to determine this
          days, becouse there are no holes on chart.

          On the other hand, if I use TimeAxis with LineChart, Operator will
          see direct line between 02.01.01 and 05.01.01 and will think, that on
          03.01.01 was 4 successfull and 3 failed transactions.

          The only way I know to resolve this problem is using TimeAxis with
          ColumnChart. Some charting tools can display such chart (e.x. MS
          Excel 2007).

          To get similar behavior I use ColumnChart with CategoryAxis and
          insert missing records in apropriate position. I think, what
          ColumnChart should also use CategoryAxis, calculate minor unit and
          inserts missing data automatically by itself in this case.

          By the way, there is a problem with ColumnChart with CategoryAxis. If
          XAxis title long anough, then last category column moved out of plot
          area. I can post code example, if it needed.

          Best regards,
          Dmitry Zhiharev

          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Josh Tynjala" <jtynjala@...>
          wrote:

          > This is the expected behavior. A ColumnChart, by design, may only
          use a
          > CategoryAxis for its xAxis value. Similarly, a BarChart can only
          use a
          > CategoryAxis for its yAxis value. The reasoning behind this
          restriction
          > is that columns and bars from multiple series are meant to cluster
          > around a single point (the category). This involves offsetting
          them a
          > bit to make them all appear side by side. That simply doesn't make
          sense
          > on a TimeAxis where the positioning is so important.
          >
          > Josh Tynjala
          > Yahoo!
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Hubert Garrido
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2008
            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "d.zhiharev" <dvz@...> wrote:

            > I'll try to explain my needs. I want to display month system activity

            I'll second that.

            I too need to display charts using time data as the x axis, and while
            it works with line charts, it doesn't mean anything with non
            continuous data.

            I tried to set the line width to 0 to no avail.

            Bar charts could do it, but they don't work as a *time* axis that is.
            I could go happily with point charts (read line charts... without
            lines), but I didn't succeed at that.
          • Josh Tynjala
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 2, 2008

              You will be able to turn off the lines on a line chart in an upcoming release.

              Josh Tynjala
              Yahoo!