Logger: how to log objects ?

  • corentin merot
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2008
      I tried to log objects with the logger, and the output is quite
      unreadable.
      So what I do is to set a global array `logs`, and then use it to store
      objects I need to inspect with firebug or mozilla dom inscpector:
      logs[logs.length] = myobject;

      Does the logger already implement that (am i missing something)? If
      not, do you think that would be a nice feature?

      Thanks,
      Co
    • Adam Moore
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2008
        On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 10:46:24AM -0000, corentin merot wrote:
        > I tried to log objects with the logger, and the output is quite
        > unreadable. So what I do is to set a global array `logs`, and then
        > use it to store objects I need to inspect with firebug or mozilla dom
        > inscpector: logs[logs.length] = myobject;
        >
        > Does the logger already implement that (am i missing something)? If
        > not, do you think that would be a nice feature?

        Co, try YAHOO.lang.dump:

        http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/YAHOO.lang.html#dump

        -Adam
      • Corentin Merot
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 29, 2008
          2008/2/28, Adam Moore <adamoore@...>:
          > On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 10:46:24AM -0000, corentin merot wrote:
          > > I tried to log objects with the logger, and the output is quite
          > > unreadable. So what I do is to set a global array `logs`, and then
          > > use it to store objects I need to inspect with firebug or mozilla dom
          > > inscpector: logs[logs.length] = myobject;
          > >
          > > Does the logger already implement that (am i missing something)? If
          > > not, do you think that would be a nice feature?
          >
          > Co, try YAHOO.lang.dump:
          >
          > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/YAHOO.lang.html#dump
          >

          > -Adam

          Thanks for your answer Adam.

          It appears that it's what does the logger when logging objects, but
          ouput is not as readable as firebug output.

          --
          Co
        • jennykhan
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 29, 2008
            Hi Corentin,

            At this time, Logger always stringifies the messages sent to
            console.log(). Until this issue is resolved, you'll have to call
            console.log(myObject) directly in order to introspect objects via Firebug.

            Thanks,
            jenny

            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Corentin Merot" <cmerot@...>
            wrote:

            > 2008/2/28, Adam Moore <adamoore@...>:
            > > On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 10:46:24AM -0000, corentin merot wrote:
            > > > I tried to log objects with the logger, and the output is quite
            > > > unreadable. So what I do is to set a global array `logs`, and then
            > > > use it to store objects I need to inspect with firebug or
            mozilla dom
            > > > inscpector: logs[logs.length] = myobject;
            > > >
            > > > Does the logger already implement that (am i missing something)? If
            > > > not, do you think that would be a nice feature?
            > >
            > > Co, try YAHOO.lang.dump:
            > >
            > > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/YAHOO.lang.html#dump
            > >

            > > -Adam
            > >

            > Thanks for your answer Adam.
            >
            > It appears that it's what does the logger when logging objects, but
            > ouput is not as readable as firebug output.
            >
            > --
            > Co

          • jennykhan
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 29, 2008
              Hi again,

              You can look for this to be fixed in the next release of Logger. In
              the meantime, here's the patch to
              YAHOO.widget.Logger._printToBrowserConsole:

              Instead of

              var output =
              localTime + " (" +
              elapsedTime + "ms): " +
              oEntry.source + ": " +
              oEntry.msg;

              console.log(output);

              use

              var output =
              localTime + " (" +
              elapsedTime + "ms): " +
              oEntry.source + ": ";

              console.log(output, oEntry.msg);

              Regards,
              Jenny

              --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jennykhan" <jennyhan@...> wrote:

              > Hi Corentin,
              >
              > At this time, Logger always stringifies the messages sent to
              > console.log(). Until this issue is resolved, you'll have to call
              > console.log(myObject) directly in order to introspect objects via
              Firebug.

              > Thanks,
              > jenny
              >

              > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Corentin Merot" <cmerot@>
              > wrote:

              > mozilla dom

              > > > Co, try YAHOO.lang.dump:
              > > >
              > > > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/YAHOO.lang.html#dump
              > > >

              > > > -Adam
              > > >

              > > Thanks for your answer Adam.
              > >
              > > It appears that it's what does the logger when logging objects, but
              > > ouput is not as readable as firebug output.
              > >
              > > --
              > > Co

            • Corentin Merot
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
                hi Jenny,

                I've just apply the patch. That's what I was looking for. Thanks a lot!

                --
                Co

                --
                Corentin Merot