Datatable alignment problem in mozilla browser

  • malli arjuna
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2008

         I am using yahoo widgets 2.4.1 version. As per my project
      requirement I am using datatables. The table headers & rows coming
      properly in IE browser, but in Mozilla browser headers & data not
      coming proper alignment( if too large data exist in cell that column
      width will increase but header width is not increasingÂ…).Please find attached scree shot.
      Please tell me how to solve this problem..

      Tanks & Regards
      Malli

    • xirias_yes_xirias
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 28, 2008
        I've gotten this problem in both MSIE and Mozilla. The problem seems
        to be an interaction between Tabview and the Datatable. Specifically,
        datatables on tabs that are not initially visible render wrong. Their
        header column widths do not match the body column widths. My guess is
        that this is a case of an attempt at optimization (lazy render) that
        has clearly gone awry so far.
      • warmsmile4
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 28, 2008
          I have experienced the same problem. Does anyone have a work-around?

          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "xirias_yes_xirias"

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 29, 2008
            That is a known problem, but it happens with 2.5 and the original question
            was about 2.4.1 and I don't know there was any such problem in that version.

            With 2.5 the problem is that headers are actually in a separate table which
            has to be kept in synch via code. To do that, the code has to read the
            widths and positions of the columns and set them to match. The problem is
            that browsers do funny things about widths when elements are invisible. So,
            the calculation fails.

            Two possible fixes. One is to wait until the table will be displayed. You
            might want to earn some time by building it ahead of time, but since it
            doesn't work, what's the point.

            The other is to call method _syncColWidths when the table is displayed.
            This is a private function (signalled by the leading underscore, not that
            JavaScript has private functions) so using it is unsupported. That is the
            function that does the column alignment.

            > I've gotten this problem in both MSIE and Mozilla. The problem seems
            > to be an interaction between Tabview and the Datatable. Specifically,
            > datatables on tabs that are not initially visible render wrong. Their
            > header column widths do not match the body column widths. My guess is
            > that this is a case of an attempt at optimization (lazy render) that
            > has clearly gone awry so far.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            > --
            > 28/02/2008 12:14

          • warmsmile4
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2 7:13 AM
              Do you have some example code to show the work-around?
              Thanks

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2 7:55 AM
                No, sorry, I'm not switching to 2.5. Just make sure the container of the
                DataTable is visible when you draw it or call the function _syncColWidths if
                it wasn't at the time.

                > Do you have some example code to show the work-around?
                > Thanks
                >

                > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Satyam" <satyam@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> That is a known problem, but it happens with 2.5 and the original
                > question
                >> was about 2.4.1 and I don't know there was any such problem in that
                > version.
                >>
                >> With 2.5 the problem is that headers are actually in a separate
                > table which
                >> has to be kept in synch via code. To do that, the code has to read the
                >> widths and positions of the columns and set them to match. The
                > problem is
                >> that browsers do funny things about widths when elements are
                > invisible. So,
                >> the calculation fails.
                >>
                >> Two possible fixes. One is to wait until the table will be
                > displayed. You
                >> might want to earn some time by building it ahead of time, but since it
                >> doesn't work, what's the point.
                >>
                >> The other is to call method _syncColWidths when the table is displayed.
                >> This is a private function (signalled by the leading underscore, not
                > that
                >> JavaScript has private functions) so using it is unsupported. That
                > is the
                >> function that does the column alignment.
                >>
                >> Satyam

              • skorjjang
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 4 1:19 PM
                  rendering the table on click of the Tab still doesn't work in IE.
                  In IE, the content area only says "..Loading data.." and nothing happens.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 5 10:45 AM
                    I really didn't try 2.5 that much, this column resizing is a little too
                    brittle for my taste. I believe that while Firefox simply miss-reports
                    width and height of hidden elements, IE produces an error when you try to
                    access them so the rest of the DataTable code doesn't get executed and the
                    half-built datatable gets left however it was at the point. Wait to build
                    the DataTable until the container is visible and see if that fixes it. And
                    let us know.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 5 11:10 AM
                      Actually, it is a known bug:

                      http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1901284&group_id=165715&atid=836476