Calendar CSS Problem

  • mallilkarjuna nagabhushan ammu
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
      Hi Group,
      Recently I added Yahoo Calendar to my aspx page. Everything is working
      fine but all my other controls' fonts and styles got changed while
      displaying because of the linked CSS files which are necessary for
      calendar to work. I dont want those fonts to my controls. Is there any
      way to do this ?
    • Eric Miraglia
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 4, 2008
        mallikarjuna,

        YUI Calendar's CSS is "namespaced" to prevent this from happening, so it would be interesting to see the page where you've experienced this.

        For example, Calendar's CSS rules tend to look like these:

        .yui-skin-sam .yui-calcontainer.multi .title{margin:0 -5px 0 -5px;}
        .yui-skin-sam .yui-calcontainer.withtitle{padding-top:0;}

        So, these rules can only apply within an element classed as yui-calcontainer (generated by the Calendar Control; you shouldn't apply this class at all in your page) within another element classed as yui-skin-sam (which you should create/apply).

        If you have a URL, please feel free to share.

        Regards,
        Eric

        Eric Miraglia
        Yahoo! User Interface Library

        On Feb 2, 2008, at 2:34 PM, mallilkarjuna nagabhushan ammu wrote:

        Hi Group,
        Recently I added Yahoo Calendar to my aspx page. Everything is working
        fine but all my other controls' fonts and styles got changed while
        displaying because of the linked CSS files which are necessary for
        calendar to work. I dont want those fonts to my controls. Is there any
        way to do this ?

      • ancraig
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 6, 2008
          I emailed you yesterday (and emailed the indian guy couple days
          earlier). No response from either of you.

          The fonts CSS stuff that is included really screws up my website. I
          can't figure out how to add a calendar control and not mess up my
          website. Would you please reply with a solution/directions and not
          just a denial. Would greatly appreciate using this control and others
          ... just can't do it with the really wack-out CSS consequences.

          And what the heck is namespaces? It's an abstract concept not even
          medium level programmers (I'm beyond novice now) understand. Please
          give solution. The documentation on calendar control is inconsistent
          with the examples ... just look at the view source. I have to follow
          the view source because the actual directions don't work either. Sad.

          Please ask your programmers to program well ... and document for
          people who aren't developing the software ... the rest of use little
          people who want to use it without a PHD degree in computer science.

          Thanks very much.

          you should have my email ... feel free to contact me. I have had to
          turn off other contact becuase of all the spam that comes from thse
          Yahoo groups. Really stinks. Still get the annoying "Yahoo Groups
          Spammage" even year after turning off the email contact.
        • ancraig
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 6, 2008
            How the heck do I TURN OFF MY email address from showing publicly?
            THIS SUCKS. Is this system a spammer paradise? GOD its really annoying.

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 6, 2008
              ancraig,

              Your email setting on YDN-JavaScript is "No Email."

              If you continue to receive emails from YDN-JavaScript, feel free to contact me directly and I will remove you from the list.

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 6, 2008
                YUIers all,

                Periodically, messages like this come across YDN-JavaScript.  In this case, because it appears that I was the one who elicited this response by my previous message, I wanted to respond publicly and directly:

                1. YDN-JavaScript is a knowledge-sharing community.  Its participants volunteer their time because they share a common interest -- in this case, the use of the YUI Library components to create and maintain web applications.
                2. This is a public place; it is free to join, and posts are not moderated.
                3. If you ask a question, there is no guarantee that you'll get an answer.
                4. If you provide an answer, there is no guarantee that you'll be thanked.
                5. But if you treat people badly, you can be pretty sure that you won't get help.  The fabulous people who volunteer time on this list are not volunteering to be insulted.
                6. If you treat people badly more than once, you will be removed from the forum.

                It's true on any forum like this: Be polite when you're asking for help. Be helpful when you can. Be gracious when someone solves a problem for you.  Whether it's Satyam or Jing, Dav or Satyen, those folks spend huge amounts of time helping people out, and they certainly deserve a thank-you when their help proves useful.

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 8, 2008
                  Have not read any useful information about how to make YUI work on
                  website without messing with font. Nothing but attitude. Seems like
                  major evasiveness.

                  FYI, I am truely offended by your anti-John-Wayne-like disposition.
                  Makes me sad, very unmasculine reponse you have written. Please
                  address the CSS issues and spare everyone the Public Correctness PR
                  nonsense. Thanks. sheeeeze

                  Any actual assistance would be appreciated. More BS not appreciated
                  though. Nor spam. I received more Yahoo Groups spammage this week,
                  not including the above reply.

                  > YUIers all,
                  >
                  > Periodically, messages like this come across YDN-JavaScript. In this
                  > case, because it appears that I was the one who elicited this response
                  > by my previous message, I wanted to respond publicly and directly:
                  >
                  > YDN-JavaScript is a knowledge-sharing community. Its participants
                  > volunteer their time because they share a common interest -- in this
                  > case, the use of the YUI Library components to create and maintain web
                  > applications.
                  > This is a public place; it is free to join, and posts are not moderated.
                  > If you ask a question, there is no guarantee that you'll get an answer.
                  > If you provide an answer, there is no guarantee that you'll be thanked.
                  > But if you treat people badly, you can be pretty sure that you won't
                  > get help. The fabulous people who volunteer time on this list are not
                  > volunteering to be insulted.
                  > If you treat people badly more than once, you will be removed from the
                  > forum.
                  >
                  > It's true on any forum like this: Be polite when you're asking for
                  > help. Be helpful when you can. Be gracious when someone solves a
                  > problem for you. Whether it's Satyam or Jing, Dav or Satyen, those
                  > folks spend huge amounts of time helping people out, and they
                  > certainly deserve a thank-you when their help proves useful.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Eric

                  > Eric Miraglia
                  > Yahoo! User Interface Library
                  >

                  > On Feb 6, 2008, at 8:43 AM, ancraig wrote:
                  >

                  > > I emailed you yesterday (and emailed the indian guy couple days
                  > > earlier). No response from either of you.
                  > >
                  > > The fonts CSS stuff that is included really screws up my website. I
                  > > can't figure out how to add a calendar control and not mess up my
                  > > website. Would you please reply with a solution/directions and not
                  > > just a denial. Would greatly appreciate using this control and others
                  > > ... just can't do it with the really wack-out CSS consequences.
                  > >
                  > > And what the heck is namespaces? It's an abstract concept not even
                  > > medium level programmers (I'm beyond novice now) understand. Please
                  > > give solution. The documentation on calendar control is inconsistent
                  > > with the examples ... just look at the view source. I have to follow
                  > > the view source because the actual directions don't work either. Sad.
                  > >
                  > > Please ask your programmers to program well ... and document for
                  > > people who aren't developing the software ... the rest of use little
                  > > people who want to use it without a PHD degree in computer science.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks very much.
                  > >
                  > > you should have my email ... feel free to contact me. I have had to
                  > > turn off other contact becuase of all the spam that comes from thse
                  > > Yahoo groups. Really stinks. Still get the annoying "Yahoo Groups
                  > > Spammage" even year after turning off the email contact.

                • Bryce Fischer
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 9, 2008
                    wow...

                    just...

                    wow...

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 11, 2008
                      > If you treat people badly more than once, you will be removed from the
                      > forum.

                      Although questioning my masculinity may be a sign of perspicacity rather than ill-temperedness, the bottom line is we don't have time for this kind of thing on YDN-JavaScript.

                      Sayonara, ancraig.