Semantic HTML Coding to Wrap Grid Holders for Common Background

  • Harvey A Ramer
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2008
      The YUI Grids tool is exceptional and I'd recommend it to anyone. As
      I'm developing the style that will govern a new project, I want to be
      sure I am building code that won't cause problems with the grids.

      Here's the very simple "problem":

      Often I want to group two or more stacked grid holders into a unified
      page region by wrapping the holders in my own custom wrapper. For
      example: my main content column contains two stacked yui-gb grid
      holders with nested units. My solution to grouping these stacked grid
      holders is to nest them within my own div with a class of .th-*
      (template helper) to which I attach my styles. This is an almost
      purely presentational element, but can also show the logical
      relationship between the stacked grid holders if I use a descriptive
      ID in addition to the class.

      Are there any suggestions for more elegant solutions to this "problem"?
    • Nate Koechley
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2008
        Hey,

        I think your approach is just fine. And the W3C says that divs are specifically designed for "adding structure to documents," which is what it seems like you're trying to do.

        Find the citations for that quote and a bit more related into in this blog of mine:

        Thanks,
        Nate