Re: Microsoft....

  • ajaxgames
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
      Agreed, most likely MS will not continue with YUI in the current
      direction and even if it does for a while I wouldn't want to invest
      much in a technology that has a good chance of disappearing or not
      being supported in the near future.

      But, on the other hand, even if YUI is discontinued by MS/Yahoo I am
      pretty sure it will be picked up by the OS community and take it from
      there. Sure, it won't have all the Yahoo resources behind it and
      releases may come slower but it will work like all other OS community
      projects. Maybe we will see more than one successful forks.

      Oh well, first MySQL now YUI, someone buys apache and I might as well
      move to a Windows server and be done with it :P

      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Del" <dhanoad@...> wrote:

      > Why would Microsoft want to continue fueling YUI when they have
      > Silverlight?
      >
      > What benefit would there be for Microsoft? None.
      >
      > They have pumped millions into Silverlight so far. They are pushing
      > hard to make developers use Silverlight. They want to make
      > Silverlight the next Flash.
      >
      > So by supporting two different projects that serve the same purpose
      > would be duplication of services and an unnecessary cost to their
      > shareholders.
      >
      > I, too, hate to sound pessimistic. But I fear this is the end of
      YUI.

      > I love YUI. I jumped ship from Ext/Dojo/Mootools a couple of years
      > ago when I discovered YUI. I have been using YUI for everything.
      It
      > sucks that I will be orphaned again.
      >
      > I suggest you download the latest version of YUI to your box before
      > Microsoft takes it away.
      >
      > This is so sad. Bye bye Yahoo.

    • Del
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 9, 2008
        now I just feel dirty

        2 minutes after news broke that Yahoo! rejected the Microsoft bid and
        I feel like a cheat.

        Last week I was contemplating moving to another UI kit (JQuery,
        actually)... now I think I may have made a mistake.

        - D
        http://www.gabbr.com
      • Randall R Schulz
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 9, 2008
          On Saturday 09 February 2008 15:24, Del wrote:
          > now I just feel dirty
          >
          > 2 minutes after news broke that Yahoo! rejected the Microsoft bid and
          > I feel like a cheat.
          >
          > Last week I was contemplating moving to another UI kit (JQuery,
          > actually)... now I think I may have made a mistake.

          Just by contemplating a change? There's a saying: "No harm, no foul." If
          no harmful consequence of an action ensued, then no offense was
          committed.

          Now, had you ripped up your source and started porting everything over
          to your second-choice UI kit, that would have been a mistake, but
          still, only you would suffer.

          Randall Schulz
        • exuperok
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 12, 2008
            It is unlikely that MS will support initiatives like YDN and its
            numerous projects, so is it possible that the OS community could take
            over the open source stuff at YDN... or could there even be a spin off
            scenario like the mozilla foundation after MS killed netscape in a
            deal with its parent company?

            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jcarlson23" <jcarlson23@...>