Re: Microsoft....

  • Del
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
      Why would Microsoft want to continue fueling YUI when they have
      Silverlight?

      What benefit would there be for Microsoft? None.

      They have pumped millions into Silverlight so far. They are pushing
      hard to make developers use Silverlight. They want to make
      Silverlight the next Flash.

      So by supporting two different projects that serve the same purpose
      would be duplication of services and an unnecessary cost to their
      shareholders.

      I, too, hate to sound pessimistic. But I fear this is the end of YUI.

      I love YUI. I jumped ship from Ext/Dojo/Mootools a couple of years
      ago when I discovered YUI. I have been using YUI for everything. It
      sucks that I will be orphaned again.

      I suggest you download the latest version of YUI to your box before
      Microsoft takes it away.

      This is so sad. Bye bye Yahoo.
    • Philip
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
        It's pretty obvious why MS has had trouble embracing the open source
        community. MS is a software company, backed by Office and its Windows
        OSes. MS does not know how to embrace open source because it is in
        their best interests / share holders interests that people remain
        dependent on these two key products. This why every attempt from MS to
        embrace open source has failed as they've done nothing by tried to
        hook people on these products one way or another.

        I'm sorry, can't be optimistic here either. I'm with the others on
        this message thread. MS buying out Yahoo spells an impending doom for
        YUI. We've already seem MS's attempts at web standards on IE7. AND
        lets not forget their /current/ attempts in IE8: "IE8 will support web
        standards, but you must add in an additional meta tag in order for IE8
        to work." WTF is that?! It's extremely obvious MS does not understand
        open source / web standards, period.

        It's sad, too. There's so much MS can do in their current position to
        insure their success in the future of the web. Unfortunately, their
        focus on closed source products, pushing their products and dependency
        on Windows and Office keeps them bind to these possibilities.

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jcarlson23" <jcarlson23@...>
        wrote:

        > First, let's remember that Microsoft offered to buy, Yahoo hasn't sold
        > yet.
        >
        > Personally I think one of the biggest problems Microsoft has had over
        > the past 5 years is embracing the open source community. Look at
        > Apple - their OS is BSD UNIX. I've met a few folks there and tried to
        > argue that they should open up even more, especially for devices like
        > the iPhone as Apple makes money by actually selling the device and
        > letting third party companies make more software for the iPhone which
        > translates into more sales. Apple is dragging their feet a bit but I
        > know there are a number of folks inside who are fighting to open up
        > even more.
        >
        > I think even Microsoft knows open source is here to stay but and this
        > is the reason I asked, I don't think they've done very well with the
        > open source community. Maybe this would be different...
        >
        > To me Yahoo has a lot to gain to continue supporting YUI. Of course,
        > there is goodwill with developers. But I think more importantly as
        > YUI is incorporated into more websites the look and feel of those
        > sites becomes more like Yahoo. There's a tremendous "user comfort"
        > advantage to be gained as well as hopefully we should contributing
        > back to YUI and supporting the Yahoo developers - if they share we
        > should share and that collaboration might make YUI (and Yahoo) more
        > innovative.
        >
        > So my opinion - I think it's important once in a while to step back
        > and remember why these open source libraries can be so successful and
        > that discussion should be very supportive of everyone involved - and
        > certainly the Yahoo folks - might give them some them some ammunition
        > in a meeting.
        >

        > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Charles" <lists07@> wrote:
        > >
        > > At the end of the day, it just isn't in Microsoft's interest to have a
        > > library like YUI that is functional, useful, and doesn't require other
        > > Microsoft technologies for optimum operation.
        > >

        > > Folks, please don't start this kind of stuff.
        > >

        > > It's more likely that Microsoft bought Yahoo! because it's trying to
        > woo a
        > > webdeveloper audience that has embraced YUI, Yahoo!'s various web
        > APIs, etc.
        > > (Not to mention that Yahoo!'s properties depend on YUI.)
        > >

        > > Let's give the Yahoo! folks here a break. They can't comment on
        > this, and
        > > premature negativity certainly won't want to make them spend more
        > time here,
        > > so let's just support them.
        > >

        > > - Charles

      • Hollywood
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
          Two words: Chicken Little
        • ajaxgames
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
            Agreed, most likely MS will not continue with YUI in the current
            direction and even if it does for a while I wouldn't want to invest
            much in a technology that has a good chance of disappearing or not
            being supported in the near future.

            But, on the other hand, even if YUI is discontinued by MS/Yahoo I am
            pretty sure it will be picked up by the OS community and take it from
            there. Sure, it won't have all the Yahoo resources behind it and
            releases may come slower but it will work like all other OS community
            projects. Maybe we will see more than one successful forks.

            Oh well, first MySQL now YUI, someone buys apache and I might as well
            move to a Windows server and be done with it :P

            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Del" <dhanoad@...> wrote:

            > Why would Microsoft want to continue fueling YUI when they have
            > Silverlight?
            >
            > What benefit would there be for Microsoft? None.
            >
            > They have pumped millions into Silverlight so far. They are pushing
            > hard to make developers use Silverlight. They want to make
            > Silverlight the next Flash.
            >
            > So by supporting two different projects that serve the same purpose
            > would be duplication of services and an unnecessary cost to their
            > shareholders.
            >
            > I, too, hate to sound pessimistic. But I fear this is the end of
            YUI.

            > I love YUI. I jumped ship from Ext/Dojo/Mootools a couple of years
            > ago when I discovered YUI. I have been using YUI for everything.
            It
            > sucks that I will be orphaned again.
            >
            > I suggest you download the latest version of YUI to your box before
            > Microsoft takes it away.
            >
            > This is so sad. Bye bye Yahoo.

          • Del
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 9, 2008
              now I just feel dirty

              2 minutes after news broke that Yahoo! rejected the Microsoft bid and
              I feel like a cheat.

              Last week I was contemplating moving to another UI kit (JQuery,
              actually)... now I think I may have made a mistake.

              - D
              http://www.gabbr.com
            • Randall R Schulz
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 9, 2008
                On Saturday 09 February 2008 15:24, Del wrote:
                > now I just feel dirty
                >
                > 2 minutes after news broke that Yahoo! rejected the Microsoft bid and
                > I feel like a cheat.
                >
                > Last week I was contemplating moving to another UI kit (JQuery,
                > actually)... now I think I may have made a mistake.

                Just by contemplating a change? There's a saying: "No harm, no foul." If
                no harmful consequence of an action ensued, then no offense was
                committed.

                Now, had you ripped up your source and started porting everything over
                to your second-choice UI kit, that would have been a mistake, but
                still, only you would suffer.

                Randall Schulz
              • exuperok
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 12, 2008
                  It is unlikely that MS will support initiatives like YDN and its
                  numerous projects, so is it possible that the OS community could take
                  over the open source stuff at YDN... or could there even be a spin off
                  scenario like the mozilla foundation after MS killed netscape in a
                  deal with its parent company?