Re: Microsoft....

  • jcarlson23
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
      First, let's remember that Microsoft offered to buy, Yahoo hasn't sold
      yet.

      Personally I think one of the biggest problems Microsoft has had over
      the past 5 years is embracing the open source community. Look at
      Apple - their OS is BSD UNIX. I've met a few folks there and tried to
      argue that they should open up even more, especially for devices like
      the iPhone as Apple makes money by actually selling the device and
      letting third party companies make more software for the iPhone which
      translates into more sales. Apple is dragging their feet a bit but I
      know there are a number of folks inside who are fighting to open up
      even more.

      I think even Microsoft knows open source is here to stay but and this
      is the reason I asked, I don't think they've done very well with the
      open source community. Maybe this would be different...

      To me Yahoo has a lot to gain to continue supporting YUI. Of course,
      there is goodwill with developers. But I think more importantly as
      YUI is incorporated into more websites the look and feel of those
      sites becomes more like Yahoo. There's a tremendous "user comfort"
      advantage to be gained as well as hopefully we should contributing
      back to YUI and supporting the Yahoo developers - if they share we
      should share and that collaboration might make YUI (and Yahoo) more
      innovative.

      So my opinion - I think it's important once in a while to step back
      and remember why these open source libraries can be so successful and
      that discussion should be very supportive of everyone involved - and
      certainly the Yahoo folks - might give them some them some ammunition
      in a meeting.

      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Charles" <lists07@...> wrote:

      > At the end of the day, it just isn't in Microsoft's interest to have a
      > library like YUI that is functional, useful, and doesn't require other
      > Microsoft technologies for optimum operation.
      >

      > Folks, please don't start this kind of stuff.
      >

      > It's more likely that Microsoft bought Yahoo! because it's trying to
      woo a
      > webdeveloper audience that has embraced YUI, Yahoo!'s various web
      APIs, etc.
      > (Not to mention that Yahoo!'s properties depend on YUI.)
      >

      > Let's give the Yahoo! folks here a break. They can't comment on
      this, and
      > premature negativity certainly won't want to make them spend more
      time here,
      > so let's just support them.
      >

      > - Charles

    • Del
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
        Why would Microsoft want to continue fueling YUI when they have
        Silverlight?

        What benefit would there be for Microsoft? None.

        They have pumped millions into Silverlight so far. They are pushing
        hard to make developers use Silverlight. They want to make
        Silverlight the next Flash.

        So by supporting two different projects that serve the same purpose
        would be duplication of services and an unnecessary cost to their
        shareholders.

        I, too, hate to sound pessimistic. But I fear this is the end of YUI.

        I love YUI. I jumped ship from Ext/Dojo/Mootools a couple of years
        ago when I discovered YUI. I have been using YUI for everything. It
        sucks that I will be orphaned again.

        I suggest you download the latest version of YUI to your box before
        Microsoft takes it away.

        This is so sad. Bye bye Yahoo.
      • Philip
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
          It's pretty obvious why MS has had trouble embracing the open source
          community. MS is a software company, backed by Office and its Windows
          OSes. MS does not know how to embrace open source because it is in
          their best interests / share holders interests that people remain
          dependent on these two key products. This why every attempt from MS to
          embrace open source has failed as they've done nothing by tried to
          hook people on these products one way or another.

          I'm sorry, can't be optimistic here either. I'm with the others on
          this message thread. MS buying out Yahoo spells an impending doom for
          YUI. We've already seem MS's attempts at web standards on IE7. AND
          lets not forget their /current/ attempts in IE8: "IE8 will support web
          standards, but you must add in an additional meta tag in order for IE8
          to work." WTF is that?! It's extremely obvious MS does not understand
          open source / web standards, period.

          It's sad, too. There's so much MS can do in their current position to
          insure their success in the future of the web. Unfortunately, their
          focus on closed source products, pushing their products and dependency
          on Windows and Office keeps them bind to these possibilities.

          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jcarlson23" <jcarlson23@...>
          wrote:

          > First, let's remember that Microsoft offered to buy, Yahoo hasn't sold
          > yet.
          >
          > Personally I think one of the biggest problems Microsoft has had over
          > the past 5 years is embracing the open source community. Look at
          > Apple - their OS is BSD UNIX. I've met a few folks there and tried to
          > argue that they should open up even more, especially for devices like
          > the iPhone as Apple makes money by actually selling the device and
          > letting third party companies make more software for the iPhone which
          > translates into more sales. Apple is dragging their feet a bit but I
          > know there are a number of folks inside who are fighting to open up
          > even more.
          >
          > I think even Microsoft knows open source is here to stay but and this
          > is the reason I asked, I don't think they've done very well with the
          > open source community. Maybe this would be different...
          >
          > To me Yahoo has a lot to gain to continue supporting YUI. Of course,
          > there is goodwill with developers. But I think more importantly as
          > YUI is incorporated into more websites the look and feel of those
          > sites becomes more like Yahoo. There's a tremendous "user comfort"
          > advantage to be gained as well as hopefully we should contributing
          > back to YUI and supporting the Yahoo developers - if they share we
          > should share and that collaboration might make YUI (and Yahoo) more
          > innovative.
          >
          > So my opinion - I think it's important once in a while to step back
          > and remember why these open source libraries can be so successful and
          > that discussion should be very supportive of everyone involved - and
          > certainly the Yahoo folks - might give them some them some ammunition
          > in a meeting.
          >

          > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Charles" <lists07@> wrote:
          > >
          > > At the end of the day, it just isn't in Microsoft's interest to have a
          > > library like YUI that is functional, useful, and doesn't require other
          > > Microsoft technologies for optimum operation.
          > >

          > > Folks, please don't start this kind of stuff.
          > >

          > > It's more likely that Microsoft bought Yahoo! because it's trying to
          > woo a
          > > webdeveloper audience that has embraced YUI, Yahoo!'s various web
          > APIs, etc.
          > > (Not to mention that Yahoo!'s properties depend on YUI.)
          > >

          > > Let's give the Yahoo! folks here a break. They can't comment on
          > this, and
          > > premature negativity certainly won't want to make them spend more
          > time here,
          > > so let's just support them.
          > >

          > > - Charles

        • Hollywood
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
            Two words: Chicken Little
          • ajaxgames
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
              Agreed, most likely MS will not continue with YUI in the current
              direction and even if it does for a while I wouldn't want to invest
              much in a technology that has a good chance of disappearing or not
              being supported in the near future.

              But, on the other hand, even if YUI is discontinued by MS/Yahoo I am
              pretty sure it will be picked up by the OS community and take it from
              there. Sure, it won't have all the Yahoo resources behind it and
              releases may come slower but it will work like all other OS community
              projects. Maybe we will see more than one successful forks.

              Oh well, first MySQL now YUI, someone buys apache and I might as well
              move to a Windows server and be done with it :P

              --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Del" <dhanoad@...> wrote:

              > Why would Microsoft want to continue fueling YUI when they have
              > Silverlight?
              >
              > What benefit would there be for Microsoft? None.
              >
              > They have pumped millions into Silverlight so far. They are pushing
              > hard to make developers use Silverlight. They want to make
              > Silverlight the next Flash.
              >
              > So by supporting two different projects that serve the same purpose
              > would be duplication of services and an unnecessary cost to their
              > shareholders.
              >
              > I, too, hate to sound pessimistic. But I fear this is the end of
              YUI.

              > I love YUI. I jumped ship from Ext/Dojo/Mootools a couple of years
              > ago when I discovered YUI. I have been using YUI for everything.
              It
              > sucks that I will be orphaned again.
              >
              > I suggest you download the latest version of YUI to your box before
              > Microsoft takes it away.
              >
              > This is so sad. Bye bye Yahoo.

            • Del
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 9, 2008
                now I just feel dirty

                2 minutes after news broke that Yahoo! rejected the Microsoft bid and
                I feel like a cheat.

                Last week I was contemplating moving to another UI kit (JQuery,
                actually)... now I think I may have made a mistake.

                - D
                http://www.gabbr.com
              • Randall R Schulz
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 9, 2008
                  On Saturday 09 February 2008 15:24, Del wrote:
                  > now I just feel dirty
                  >
                  > 2 minutes after news broke that Yahoo! rejected the Microsoft bid and
                  > I feel like a cheat.
                  >
                  > Last week I was contemplating moving to another UI kit (JQuery,
                  > actually)... now I think I may have made a mistake.

                  Just by contemplating a change? There's a saying: "No harm, no foul." If
                  no harmful consequence of an action ensued, then no offense was
                  committed.

                  Now, had you ripped up your source and started porting everything over
                  to your second-choice UI kit, that would have been a mistake, but
                  still, only you would suffer.

                  Randall Schulz
                • exuperok
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 12, 2008
                    It is unlikely that MS will support initiatives like YDN and its
                    numerous projects, so is it possible that the OS community could take
                    over the open source stuff at YDN... or could there even be a spin off
                    scenario like the mozilla foundation after MS killed netscape in a
                    deal with its parent company?