Microsoft....

  • jcarlson23
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2008
      Just curious to see what others thought but any opinions on the
      possible Microsoft takeover and what that might mean to YUI? I'm not
      sure not much immediately, but YUI being (what I consider) an
      excellent open source library and Microsoft's pension to stand against
      open source software - I'm not in favor. Also, what has Microsoft
      done lately. I love the Mac commercials about downgrading from
      "Vista" to XP. To me Microsoft is just trying to use business tactics
      to find a way in, rather than be innovative.

      Just wondering what anyone else thought...
    • WongTseng
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2008
        I like YUI, and I don't know what it would be like if Microsoft take over it. Maybe we should call it MUI-'Microsoft User Interace' instead then.

        --
        Best Regards
        Wong Tseng
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2008
          I hate to be a cynic, but I bet it'll be the end of the beginning for
          YUI. I would expect that within a year or two the Flash components will
          be replaced with Silverlight. Then some other components will be
          require Silverlight -- perhaps just for enhanced functionality.

          Then IE 8 will be supported before being released. Safari will be
          supported after a 6 month delay. The iPhone won't be supported, but
          various Windows CE devices will be.

          Then some components will come, for your convenience, with server-side
          code that happens to assume IIS.

          Perhaps YUI would be merged with Atlas or ASP.NET AJAX.

          I wouldn't expect an termination announcement for YUI. But over time to
          be subsumed by Microsoft technologies.

          At the end of the day, it just isn't in Microsoft's interest to have a
          library like YUI that is functional, useful, and doesn't require other
          Microsoft technologies for optimum operation. And there are a billion
          subtle ways of tying to Microsoft technologies.

          jcarlson23 wrote:

          > Just curious to see what others thought but any opinions on the
          > possible Microsoft takeover and what that might mean to YUI? I'm not
          > sure not much immediately, but YUI being (what I consider) an
          > excellent open source library and Microsoft's pension to stand against
          > open source software - I'm not in favor. Also, what has Microsoft
          > done lately. I love the Mac commercials about downgrading from
          > "Vista" to XP. To me Microsoft is just trying to use business tactics
          > to find a way in, rather than be innovative.
          >
          > Just wondering what anyone else thought...

          --
          Neil Erdwien, neil@..., 785-532-4905
          Acting Associate Director / Web Technologies Manager
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2008

            At the end of the day, it just isn't in Microsoft's interest to have a library like YUI that is functional, useful, and doesn't require other Microsoft technologies for optimum operation.

            Folks, please don’t start this kind of stuff.

            It’s more likely that Microsoft bought Yahoo! because it’s trying to woo a webdeveloper audience that has embraced YUI, Yahoo!’s various web APIs, etc. (Not to mention that Yahoo!’s properties depend on YUI.)

            Let’s give the Yahoo! folks here a break. They can’t comment on this, and premature negativity certainly won’t want to make them spend more time here, so let’s just support them.

            — Charles

          • jcarlson23
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
              First, let's remember that Microsoft offered to buy, Yahoo hasn't sold
              yet.

              Personally I think one of the biggest problems Microsoft has had over
              the past 5 years is embracing the open source community. Look at
              Apple - their OS is BSD UNIX. I've met a few folks there and tried to
              argue that they should open up even more, especially for devices like
              the iPhone as Apple makes money by actually selling the device and
              letting third party companies make more software for the iPhone which
              translates into more sales. Apple is dragging their feet a bit but I
              know there are a number of folks inside who are fighting to open up
              even more.

              I think even Microsoft knows open source is here to stay but and this
              is the reason I asked, I don't think they've done very well with the
              open source community. Maybe this would be different...

              To me Yahoo has a lot to gain to continue supporting YUI. Of course,
              there is goodwill with developers. But I think more importantly as
              YUI is incorporated into more websites the look and feel of those
              sites becomes more like Yahoo. There's a tremendous "user comfort"
              advantage to be gained as well as hopefully we should contributing
              back to YUI and supporting the Yahoo developers - if they share we
              should share and that collaboration might make YUI (and Yahoo) more
              innovative.

              So my opinion - I think it's important once in a while to step back
              and remember why these open source libraries can be so successful and
              that discussion should be very supportive of everyone involved - and
              certainly the Yahoo folks - might give them some them some ammunition
              in a meeting.

              --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Charles" <lists07@...> wrote:

              > At the end of the day, it just isn't in Microsoft's interest to have a
              > library like YUI that is functional, useful, and doesn't require other
              > Microsoft technologies for optimum operation.
              >

              > Folks, please don't start this kind of stuff.
              >

              > It's more likely that Microsoft bought Yahoo! because it's trying to
              woo a
              > webdeveloper audience that has embraced YUI, Yahoo!'s various web
              APIs, etc.
              > (Not to mention that Yahoo!'s properties depend on YUI.)
              >

              > Let's give the Yahoo! folks here a break. They can't comment on
              this, and
              > premature negativity certainly won't want to make them spend more
              time here,
              > so let's just support them.
              >

              > - Charles

            • Del
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
                Why would Microsoft want to continue fueling YUI when they have
                Silverlight?

                What benefit would there be for Microsoft? None.

                They have pumped millions into Silverlight so far. They are pushing
                hard to make developers use Silverlight. They want to make
                Silverlight the next Flash.

                So by supporting two different projects that serve the same purpose
                would be duplication of services and an unnecessary cost to their
                shareholders.

                I, too, hate to sound pessimistic. But I fear this is the end of YUI.

                I love YUI. I jumped ship from Ext/Dojo/Mootools a couple of years
                ago when I discovered YUI. I have been using YUI for everything. It
                sucks that I will be orphaned again.

                I suggest you download the latest version of YUI to your box before
                Microsoft takes it away.

                This is so sad. Bye bye Yahoo.
              • Philip
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
                  It's pretty obvious why MS has had trouble embracing the open source
                  community. MS is a software company, backed by Office and its Windows
                  OSes. MS does not know how to embrace open source because it is in
                  their best interests / share holders interests that people remain
                  dependent on these two key products. This why every attempt from MS to
                  embrace open source has failed as they've done nothing by tried to
                  hook people on these products one way or another.

                  I'm sorry, can't be optimistic here either. I'm with the others on
                  this message thread. MS buying out Yahoo spells an impending doom for
                  YUI. We've already seem MS's attempts at web standards on IE7. AND
                  lets not forget their /current/ attempts in IE8: "IE8 will support web
                  standards, but you must add in an additional meta tag in order for IE8
                  to work." WTF is that?! It's extremely obvious MS does not understand
                  open source / web standards, period.

                  It's sad, too. There's so much MS can do in their current position to
                  insure their success in the future of the web. Unfortunately, their
                  focus on closed source products, pushing their products and dependency
                  on Windows and Office keeps them bind to these possibilities.

                  --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jcarlson23" <jcarlson23@...>
                  wrote:

                  > First, let's remember that Microsoft offered to buy, Yahoo hasn't sold
                  > yet.
                  >
                  > Personally I think one of the biggest problems Microsoft has had over
                  > the past 5 years is embracing the open source community. Look at
                  > Apple - their OS is BSD UNIX. I've met a few folks there and tried to
                  > argue that they should open up even more, especially for devices like
                  > the iPhone as Apple makes money by actually selling the device and
                  > letting third party companies make more software for the iPhone which
                  > translates into more sales. Apple is dragging their feet a bit but I
                  > know there are a number of folks inside who are fighting to open up
                  > even more.
                  >
                  > I think even Microsoft knows open source is here to stay but and this
                  > is the reason I asked, I don't think they've done very well with the
                  > open source community. Maybe this would be different...
                  >
                  > To me Yahoo has a lot to gain to continue supporting YUI. Of course,
                  > there is goodwill with developers. But I think more importantly as
                  > YUI is incorporated into more websites the look and feel of those
                  > sites becomes more like Yahoo. There's a tremendous "user comfort"
                  > advantage to be gained as well as hopefully we should contributing
                  > back to YUI and supporting the Yahoo developers - if they share we
                  > should share and that collaboration might make YUI (and Yahoo) more
                  > innovative.
                  >
                  > So my opinion - I think it's important once in a while to step back
                  > and remember why these open source libraries can be so successful and
                  > that discussion should be very supportive of everyone involved - and
                  > certainly the Yahoo folks - might give them some them some ammunition
                  > in a meeting.
                  >

                  > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Charles" <lists07@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > At the end of the day, it just isn't in Microsoft's interest to have a
                  > > library like YUI that is functional, useful, and doesn't require other
                  > > Microsoft technologies for optimum operation.
                  > >

                  > > Folks, please don't start this kind of stuff.
                  > >

                  > > It's more likely that Microsoft bought Yahoo! because it's trying to
                  > woo a
                  > > webdeveloper audience that has embraced YUI, Yahoo!'s various web
                  > APIs, etc.
                  > > (Not to mention that Yahoo!'s properties depend on YUI.)
                  > >

                  > > Let's give the Yahoo! folks here a break. They can't comment on
                  > this, and
                  > > premature negativity certainly won't want to make them spend more
                  > time here,
                  > > so let's just support them.
                  > >

                  > > - Charles

                • Hollywood
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
                    Two words: Chicken Little
                  • ajaxgames
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
                      Agreed, most likely MS will not continue with YUI in the current
                      direction and even if it does for a while I wouldn't want to invest
                      much in a technology that has a good chance of disappearing or not
                      being supported in the near future.

                      But, on the other hand, even if YUI is discontinued by MS/Yahoo I am
                      pretty sure it will be picked up by the OS community and take it from
                      there. Sure, it won't have all the Yahoo resources behind it and
                      releases may come slower but it will work like all other OS community
                      projects. Maybe we will see more than one successful forks.

                      Oh well, first MySQL now YUI, someone buys apache and I might as well
                      move to a Windows server and be done with it :P

                      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Del" <dhanoad@...> wrote:

                      > Why would Microsoft want to continue fueling YUI when they have
                      > Silverlight?
                      >
                      > What benefit would there be for Microsoft? None.
                      >
                      > They have pumped millions into Silverlight so far. They are pushing
                      > hard to make developers use Silverlight. They want to make
                      > Silverlight the next Flash.
                      >
                      > So by supporting two different projects that serve the same purpose
                      > would be duplication of services and an unnecessary cost to their
                      > shareholders.
                      >
                      > I, too, hate to sound pessimistic. But I fear this is the end of
                      YUI.

                      > I love YUI. I jumped ship from Ext/Dojo/Mootools a couple of years
                      > ago when I discovered YUI. I have been using YUI for everything.
                      It
                      > sucks that I will be orphaned again.
                      >
                      > I suggest you download the latest version of YUI to your box before
                      > Microsoft takes it away.
                      >
                      > This is so sad. Bye bye Yahoo.

                    • Del
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 9, 2008
                        now I just feel dirty

                        2 minutes after news broke that Yahoo! rejected the Microsoft bid and
                        I feel like a cheat.

                        Last week I was contemplating moving to another UI kit (JQuery,
                        actually)... now I think I may have made a mistake.

                        - D
                        http://www.gabbr.com
                      • Randall R Schulz
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 9, 2008
                          On Saturday 09 February 2008 15:24, Del wrote:
                          > now I just feel dirty
                          >
                          > 2 minutes after news broke that Yahoo! rejected the Microsoft bid and
                          > I feel like a cheat.
                          >
                          > Last week I was contemplating moving to another UI kit (JQuery,
                          > actually)... now I think I may have made a mistake.

                          Just by contemplating a change? There's a saying: "No harm, no foul." If
                          no harmful consequence of an action ensued, then no offense was
                          committed.

                          Now, had you ripped up your source and started porting everything over
                          to your second-choice UI kit, that would have been a mistake, but
                          still, only you would suffer.

                          Randall Schulz
                        • exuperok
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 12, 2008
                            It is unlikely that MS will support initiatives like YDN and its
                            numerous projects, so is it possible that the OS community could take
                            over the open source stuff at YDN... or could there even be a spin off
                            scenario like the mozilla foundation after MS killed netscape in a
                            deal with its parent company?