Datatable - unable to delete a row

  • John Comerford
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2008
      Hi Folks,

      I am trying to delete the selected row when the user clicks a button.

      I have one main datatable with 250 records, and when the users clicks a
      button I open a Dialog with a second datatable. It is the second
      datatable I want to delete the row from. I use getSelectedRows() to get
      the record Id of the selected row. This returns 252 and then I use
      deleteRow(oRecord) to try and delete the row, but it doesn't do anything.

      1) Is getSelectedRows() returning 252 correct ? I am thinking that the
      record ID's are uniques across both datatables so the 252 is the 250 +
      in table a with the first selected row in table b.

      2) Do I need to do something with the record id to convert it to a row
      number ? deleteRow(252) does nothing, but if I deleteRow(0) it deletes
      the first row ?

      My delete code is as follows:

      this.filterRemove = function () {
      var oRecord =
      YAHOO.example.MultipleFeatures.filterPanel.myDataTable.getSelectedRows();
      alert(oRecord);

      YAHOO.example.MultipleFeatures.filterPanel.myDataTable.deleteRow(oRecord);
      } // this.filterRemove = function () {

      TIA,
      John
    • twocupcoffee
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2008
        Hi John,

        getSelectedRows() returns an array of record IDs, and the deleteRow
        function takes a record from the datatable. So you're actually almost
        there, you just need to retrieve the record using the record ID and
        then pass the record to deleteRow

        - Andrew Kou

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, John Comerford <johnc@...> wrote:

        > Hi Folks,
        >
        > I am trying to delete the selected row when the user clicks a button.
        >
        > I have one main datatable with 250 records, and when the users clicks a
        > button I open a Dialog with a second datatable. It is the second
        > datatable I want to delete the row from. I use getSelectedRows() to
        get
        > the record Id of the selected row. This returns 252 and then I use
        > deleteRow(oRecord) to try and delete the row, but it doesn't do
        anything.

        > 1) Is getSelectedRows() returning 252 correct ? I am thinking that the
        > record ID's are uniques across both datatables so the 252 is the 250 +
        > in table a with the first selected row in table b.
        >
        > 2) Do I need to do something with the record id to convert it to a row
        > number ? deleteRow(252) does nothing, but if I deleteRow(0) it deletes
        > the first row ?
        >

        > My delete code is as follows:
        >
        > this.filterRemove = function () {
        > var oRecord =

        YAHOO.example.MultipleFeatures.filterPanel.myDataTable.getSelectedRows();
        > alert(oRecord);

        YAHOO.example.MultipleFeatures.filterPanel.myDataTable.deleteRow(oRecord);
        > } // this.filterRemove = function () {
        >

        > TIA,
        > John

      • John Comerford
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2008
          Thanks for then reply Andrew,

          I have changed my code to the following:

          var oRecordId =
          YAHOO.example.MultipleFeatures.filterPanel.myDataTable.getSelectedRows();
          var oRecord =
          YAHOO.example.MultipleFeatures.filterPanel.myDataTable.getRecordSet().getRecord(oRecordId);
          alert(oRecord);

          YAHOO.example.MultipleFeatures.filterPanel.myDataTable.deleteRow(oRecord);

          the 'alert(oRecord)' command returns null and the row is still not
          deleted any ideas where I am going astray ?

          TIA,
          John

          twocupcoffee wrote:

          > Hi John,
          >
          > getSelectedRows() returns an array of record IDs, and the deleteRow
          > function takes a record from the datatable. So you're actually almost
          > there, you just need to retrieve the record using the record ID and
          > then pass the record to deleteRow
          >
          > - Andrew Kou
          >
          > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:ydn-javascript%40yahoogroups.com>, John Comerford <johnc@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Folks,
          > >
          > > I am trying to delete the selected row when the user clicks a button.
          > >
          > > I have one main datatable with 250 records, and when the users clicks a
          > > button I open a Dialog with a second datatable. It is the second
          > > datatable I want to delete the row from. I use getSelectedRows() to
          > get
          > > the record Id of the selected row. This returns 252 and then I use
          > > deleteRow(oRecord) to try and delete the row, but it doesn't do
          > anything.
          > >
          > > 1) Is getSelectedRows() returning 252 correct ? I am thinking that the
          > > record ID's are uniques across both datatables so the 252 is the 250 +
          > > in table a with the first selected row in table b.
          > >
          > > 2) Do I need to do something with the record id to convert it to a row
          > > number ? deleteRow(252) does nothing, but if I deleteRow(0) it deletes
          > > the first row ?
          > >

          > > My delete code is as follows:
          > >
          > > this.filterRemove = function () {
          > > var oRecord =
          > >
          > YAHOO.example.MultipleFeatures.filterPanel.myDataTable.getSelectedRows();
          > > alert(oRecord);
          > >

          > YAHOO.example.MultipleFeatures.filterPanel.myDataTable.deleteRow(oRecord);
          > > } // this.filterRemove = function () {
          > >

          > > TIA,
          > > John

        • twocupcoffee
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2008
            What is the value of oRecordId?

            Is the ID returning correct?

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 31, 2008
              I think you are still missing an important think that Andrew pointed out,
              getSelectedRows (plural) returns an array, even if it only contains one
              element.

              > I have changed my code to the following:
              >
              > var oRecordId =
              > YAHOO.example.MultipleFeatures.filterPanel.myDataTable.getSelectedRows();
              > var oRecord =
              > YAHOO.example.MultipleFeatures.filterPanel.myDataTable.getRecordSet().getRecord(oRecordId);
              > alert(oRecord);
              >
              > YAHOO.example.MultipleFeatures.filterPanel.myDataTable.deleteRow(oRecord);
              >
              > the 'alert(oRecord)' command returns null and the row is still not
              > deleted any ideas where I am going astray ?
              >
              > TIA,
              > John
              >

              > twocupcoffee wrote:
              >>
              >> Hi John,
              >>
              >> getSelectedRows() returns an array of record IDs, and the deleteRow
              >> function takes a record from the datatable. So you're actually almost
              >> there, you just need to retrieve the record using the record ID and
              >> then pass the record to deleteRow
              >>
              >> - Andrew Kou
              >>
              >> --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
              >> <mailto:ydn-javascript%40yahoogroups.com>, John Comerford <johnc@...>
              >> wrote:
              >> >
              >> > Hi Folks,
              >> >
              >> > I am trying to delete the selected row when the user clicks a button.
              >> >
              >> > I have one main datatable with 250 records, and when the users clicks a
              >> > button I open a Dialog with a second datatable. It is the second
              >> > datatable I want to delete the row from. I use getSelectedRows() to
              >> get
              >> > the record Id of the selected row. This returns 252 and then I use
              >> > deleteRow(oRecord) to try and delete the row, but it doesn't do
              >> anything.
              >> >
              >> > 1) Is getSelectedRows() returning 252 correct ? I am thinking that the
              >> > record ID's are uniques across both datatables so the 252 is the 250 +
              >> > in table a with the first selected row in table b.
              >> >
              >> > 2) Do I need to do something with the record id to convert it to a row
              >> > number ? deleteRow(252) does nothing, but if I deleteRow(0) it deletes
              >> > the first row ?
              >> >

              >> > My delete code is as follows:
              >> >
              >> > this.filterRemove = function () {
              >> > var oRecord =
              >> >
              >> YAHOO.example.MultipleFeatures.filterPanel.myDataTable.getSelectedRows();
              >> > alert(oRecord);
              >> >

              >> YAHOO.example.MultipleFeatures.filterPanel.myDataTable.deleteRow(oRecord);
              >> > } // this.filterRemove = function () {
              >> >

              >> > TIA,
              >> > John
              >> >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >

              > --
              > 30/01/2008 20:51

            • twocupcoffee
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008
                haha, thanks for pointing that out. I wanted him to figure it out
                =)

                That's why I asked the questions.

                - Andrew Kou

                > I think you are still missing an important think that Andrew pointed
                out,
                > getSelectedRows (plural) returns an array, even if it only contains one
                > element.

              • John Comerford
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 3, 2008
                  I thought since the array only had one element I'd get away with it, but
                  that's not the case. Once I referenced the individual elements it
                  worked fine.

                  Thanks for the help,
                  John