DataTable 2.5.0 Update

  • jennykhan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2008
      Hi folks,

      We are very excited about the changes coming for DataTable in version
      2.5.0 and, in response to some of your queries, wanted to share a
      glimpse of what you can expect in the coming release. We appreciate
      all the feedback we get from our community and hope you see your
      suggestions reflected in this release. So without further ado:

      The 2.5.0 release of DataTable introduces significant changes and
      improvements to the widget, including

      * improvements to performance across the board, especially not locking
      up browser UI thread for initial display or sorting of large sets of data
      * stabilization of the fixed-header vertical scrolling feature
      * built-in support for horizontal scrolling
      * the introduction of a robust and versatile Paginator class
      * more consistent and robust integration with the DataSource utility
      * bug fixes and code refactoring to make customizations to inline
      editing and the selection model easier
      * the introduction of DragDrop integration of Column reordering, and
      Column show/hide/remove/insert/select/highlight APIs
      * and quite a bit of change to internally generated markup in order to
      support these new features

      The following important changes have also been made to the DataSource
      Utility:

      * significant performance improvements to the JSON data-parsing algorithm
      * usage of a callback object literal rather than a callback function
      and caller reference
      * access to the entire data response after it as been type-converted
      but before it has been schema-parsed
      * consistency to the oParsedResponse object's members returned by the
      DataSource to the callback

      Thanks,
      Jenny and Luke
    • gregg_fowler
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
        Great to hear that these improvements will be coming -- the scrolling
        issues in particular hit me on some recent development. Also, the
        ability to show / hide columns is a step in the right direction.

        Have you looked at the Grid Filter Plugin to ExtJS's table? Its got a
        ton of great ideas built on top of the already nice set of features in
        the base grid in ext. In particular, some of the features that are
        compelling me to use it are:

        * compact, nearly free search filter options
        * ability to show hide columns (and since the selection options are
        built in, I don't have to add that externally)
        * without a lot of work, the ability to save / restore those user
        customizations. E.g.: if a user chooses a set of columns and / or
        sizes the columns in a specific manner, its nice to be able to retain
        that (either as a cookie or a server side setting)

        In addition, the grouping / group summary support is nice, but not as
        vital to my needs.
      • miketerrizzi
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
          Im excited, really excited. I just started using YUI in a recent
          development. My friend has been using it for about a year now and I
          look back at features that he wantted are now designed into YUI
          already. Keep up the good work. The poeple on this forum really make
          it easy to use and get help.