Charts with logarithmic scale

  • Glenn MacGregor
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2008
      Hi All,

      I have been looking at the chart code and I see that NumericAxis
      supports a scale attribute or linear and logarithmic. If I don't set
      it the chart draws as expected, if I set it to logarithmic the chart
      is completly empty. I have the X Axis drawn correctly, but on the Y
      Axis is just the highest value, no axis line of marks and no values
      are drawn on the graph.

      Has anyone seen this issue?

      Thanks

      Glenn
    • Josh Tynjala
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2008

        You’re right. This appears to be a bug.

        Josh Tynjala

        Yahoo! Flash Platform

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31, 2008

          Found a workaround for now. With logarithmic scale, zero is not a valid value, and zero is the default value for the axis minimum. Set the axis minimum to 1 or any fractional value above zero to make it display correctly. In a future release, the chart will be smarter about picking values in log scale.

          Josh Tynjala

          Yahoo! Flash Platform

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31, 2008
            Josh,

            Thanks for the workaround, It works as expected. I am now in the
            process of wrapping the DataSource so I can get the lowest and highest
            seen values to better set the the axis.

            Thanks

            Glenn

            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Josh Tynjala" <jtynjala@...>
            wrote:

            > Found a workaround for now. With logarithmic scale, zero is not a valid
            > value, and zero is the default value for the axis minimum. Set the axis
            > minimum to 1 or any fractional value above zero to make it display
            > correctly. In a future release, the chart will be smarter about picking
            > values in log scale.
            >

            > Josh Tynjala
            >
            > Yahoo! Flash Platform
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Glenn MacGregor
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1 6:02 AM
              Josh,

              I found another issue with logarithmic scales. When I set the minimum
              value to anything between 50 - 99, on the Y Axis, the chart shows 100
              as the low. Other than that the chart is correct, meaning the lines
              are drawn as if the minimum was set correctly.

              wrote:

              > Found a workaround for now. With logarithmic scale, zero is not a valid
              > value, and zero is the default value for the axis minimum. Set the axis
              > minimum to 1 or any fractional value above zero to make it display
              > correctly. In a future release, the chart will be smarter about picking
              > values in log scale.
              >

              > Josh Tynjala
              >
              > Yahoo! Flash Platform

            • Josh Tynjala
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1 9:33 AM

                I noticed this yesterday as well. I’ve made a fix and it should work correctly in the next version.

                Josh Tynjala

                Yahoo! Flash Platform