Problems with a chart in a tab

  • bergerbd
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 28, 2008
      Hi,
      I'm trying to create a TabView that contains a Chart. Therefor I've
      merged two of the available samples. The result is a tab containing a
      chart but after switching to an other tab and back the data isn't
      display anymore. Is there a solution to this problem? The sample can be
      found at [1]

      Bernhard Berger

      [1] http://rafb.net/p/rdX5wR14.html
    • bergerbd
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 28, 2008
        Me again,

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "bergerbd" <bergerbd@...> wrote:
        > I'm trying to create a TabView that contains a Chart. Therefor I've
        > merged two of the available samples. The result is a tab containing a
        > chart but after switching to an other tab and back the data isn't
        > display anymore. Is there a solution to this problem? The sample can be
        > found at [1]

        Even reloading the datasource on the tabchange-event does not help.
        The Axis are updated but the data is still invisible. :-(

        Bernhard

        > [1] http://rafb.net/p/rdX5wR14.html
      • Eric Miraglia
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 29, 2008
          Bernhard,

          There is definitely an issue with showing and hiding the chart canvas.  I haven't dug deeply, but it seems to me that the Charts Control is sensitive to the display style attribute of its parent element changing -- so, a toggle between display:none and display:block on the parent blanks out the chart canvas and the data cannot be refreshed even by resending the DataSource.

          This is a known issue on our end and we're going to investigate it.

          This will cause Charts not to play nicely with TabView and some other YUI controls that toggle the display property of containing elements.  I have had some success showing/hiding the Chart by moving it off the viewport (ie, style.left = -3000;) when I want to hide it.  I haven't tested that solution across the A-Grade as yet.

          Josh Tynjala, the Charts author, will report back to the list once he's finished the investigation of the problem.

          Regards,
          Eric

          Eric Miraglia
          Yahoo! User Interface Library

          On Jan 28, 2008, at 10:47 PM, bergerbd wrote:

          Me again,

          --- In ydn-javascript@ yahoogroups. com, "bergerbd" <bergerbd@.. .> wrote:
          > I'm trying to create a TabView that contains a Chart. Therefor I've
          > merged two of the available samples. The result is a tab containing a
          > chart but after switching to an other tab and back the data isn't
          > display anymore. Is there a solution to this problem? The sample can be
          > found at [1]

          Even reloading the datasource on the tabchange-event does not help.
          The Axis are updated but the data is still invisible. :-(

          Bernhard

          > [1] http://rafb. net/p/rdX5wR14. html

        • Josh Tynjala
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 4, 2008

            It appears that Flash Player unloads and reloads a SWF (or the browser removes Flash Player and reinitializes it) when a parent element’s display changes to none and then back to block. I’ve tested with both the charts and a very simple SWF to determine that this has nothing to do with the charts SWF itself.

            I should be able to detect this problem because the SWF will resend its initializing events to JavaScript when it is reloaded. However, I need to rework some of the JavaScript code to keep a full copy of the chart state so that it may be reinitialized correctly. I expect this won’t be trivial.

            Josh Tynjala

            Yahoo! Flash Platform

            There is definitely an issue with showing and hiding the chart canvas.  I haven't dug deeply, but it seems to me that the Charts Control is sensitive to the display style attribute of its parent element changing -- so, a toggle between display:none and display:block on the parent blanks out the chart canvas and the data cannot be refreshed even by resending the DataSource.

            This is a known issue on our end and we're going to investigate it.

            This will cause Charts not to play nicely with TabView and some other YUI controls that toggle the display property of containing elements.  I have had some success showing/hiding the Chart by moving it off the viewport (ie, style.left = -3000;) when I want to hide it.  I haven't tested that solution across the A-Grade as yet.

            Josh Tynjala, the Charts author, will report back to the list once he's finished the investigation of the problem.

            Regards,

            Eric

            Eric Miraglia

            Yahoo! User Interface Library

            On Jan 28, 2008, at 10:47 PM, bergerbd wrote:

            Me again,

            --- In ydn-javascript@ yahoogroups. com, "bergerbd" <bergerbd@.. .> wrote:

            > I'm trying to create a TabView that contains a Chart. Therefor I've
            > merged two of the available samples. The result is a tab containing a
            > chart but after switching to an other tab and back the data isn't
            > display anymore. Is there a solution to this problem? The sample can be
            > found at [1]

            Even reloading the datasource on the tabchange-event does not help.
            The Axis are updated but the data is still invisible. :-(

            Bernhard

            > [1]
            href="http://rafb.net/p/rdX5wR14.html">http://rafb. net/p/rdX5wR14. html

          • tully_tim
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 16, 2008
              Any temporary hacks or workarounds for this? :)

              --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Josh Tynjala" <jtynjala@...>
              wrote:

              > It appears that Flash Player unloads and reloads a SWF (or the browser
              > removes Flash Player and reinitializes it) when a parent element's
              > display changes to none and then back to block. I've tested with both
              > the charts and a very simple SWF to determine that this has nothing to
              > do with the charts SWF itself.
              >
              > I should be able to detect this problem because the SWF will resend its
              > initializing events to JavaScript when it is reloaded. However, I need
              > to rework some of the JavaScript code to keep a full copy of the chart
              > state so that it may be reinitialized correctly. I expect this won't be
              > trivial.
              >
              > Josh Tynjala
              >
              > Yahoo! Flash Platform
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Eric Miraglia
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 17, 2008
                tully_tim,

                We don't have a demo of a workaround for you at present, but one thing you might try is using the TabView's event system to move the chart out of the being-hidden tab before it's hidden, and move the chart itself into negativeland (eg, left:-3000).  Then, when the tab is activated again, move the chart back into place.

                I would start with the TabView's activeTabChange event and go from there.

                Regards,
                Eric

                wrote:

                > It appears that Flash Player unloads and reloads a SWF (or the browser
                > removes Flash Player and reinitializes it) when a parent element's
                > display changes to none and then back to block. I've tested with both
                > the charts and a very simple SWF to determine that this has nothing to
                > do with the charts SWF itself.
                >
                > I should be able to detect this problem because the SWF will resend its
                > initializing events to JavaScript when it is reloaded. However, I need
                > to rework some of the JavaScript code to keep a full copy of the chart
                > state so that it may be reinitialized correctly. I expect this won't be
                > trivial.
                >
                > Josh Tynjala
                >
                > Yahoo! Flash Platform
                >

                > ____________ _________ _________ __

              • Sanjiv Jivan
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
                  Eric,
                  I'm having troubles with this too. A simple test of moving the chart to a different div (in negetiveland) and then adding it back to its original location results in the chart being displayed really small. When I click on the chart, it ends up reloading / redrawing itself.

                  Do you have a working example of this? Is there a way to force the chart to redraw without requiring me to click the chart. I'm not so concerned about the reload, but would like the chart to be displayed right when re-added to the original location. I can see that the "object tag has height and width to 100% and the parent div has the correct dimensions, yet the chart displays 20x 60px when added back to original location.

                  Thanks,
                  Sanjiv

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                    Sanjiv,

                    This is undoubtedly problematic, and we need to make it easier.  As Josh mentioned, we'll look at making the chart less brittle against ancestor DOM changes in the next release -- no schedule for you on that yet, but we'll announce it here when we have a target date.

                    In the meantime, here are a couple of things to look at:

                    • I've used mychart.set("series", seriesDef); to force the chart to redraw in my own implementations.  This has not been sufficient to recover a tabbed chart that I've broken via display:none in my tests, but it may work in your example if you've moved the chart in the beforeActiveTabChange event.
                    • This mockup gets you pretty close to what you're looking for:  http://ericmiraglia.com/yui/demos/tabchart.php . It looks like it works in FF, Safari, and Opera.  I didn't have time to trap the IE6 flow issues, but I suspect they're manageable with some additional fine tuning of the CSS.  Note that this approach hacks the TabView contentVisible attribute for the chart's tab, preventing display:none from ever being invoked; instead, it moves the contentEl for the chart's tab into negativeland and sets its height to 0px.

                    Sorry not to have a better answer for you on this.  Hopefully resetting your chart's series attribute will get you the effect you need.

                    Regards,
                    Eric

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                      Eric,
                      Thanks for taking the time in putting up the sample. Unfortunately your sample doesn't work for me in IE 6 or FF 2. In FF 2, on changing tabs I only see the axes and not the lines of the chart, and in IE that chart doesn't even appear partially.

                      You suggestion of mychart.set("series", seriesDef);  does redraw the chart, unfortunately the chart DOM removal / move in the prior step to move it out of the tab area results in a JS error which corrupts the chart. (eg skins are lost when moved back to original location).

                      Looking forward to seeing a working solution for this in your next release as in the current state the charts cant be used in most ajax apps which typically hide / show content.

                      Thanks again.

                      Sanjiv

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                        Sanjiv,

                        My apologies. I left a line of CSS in there that was breaking it in FF2 (it works now).  IE6 is the piece I didn't work through. But I agree with your assessment that the fragility of the current implementation makes it hard to deal with showing and hiding the chart.

                        We worked through this on the ProfilerViewer Control, which has a similar UI paradigm (chart is part of a selectively shown/hidden canvas), but there were fewer limitations there with respect to the parent container.

                        Regards,
                        Eric

                        wrote:

                        > It appears that Flash Player unloads and reloads a SWF (or the browser
                        > removes Flash Player and reinitializes it) when a parent element's
                        > display changes to none and then back to block. I've tested with both
                        > the charts and a very simple SWF to determine that this has nothing to
                        > do with the charts SWF itself.
                        >
                        > I should be able to detect this problem because the SWF will resend its
                        > initializing events to JavaScript when it is reloaded. However, I need
                        > to rework some of the JavaScript code to keep a full copy of the chart
                        > state so that it may be reinitialized correctly. I expect this won't be
                        > trivial.
                        >
                        > Josh Tynjala
                        >
                        > Yahoo! Flash Platform
                        >

                        > ____________ _________ _________ __

                      • Hollywood
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                          In IE7 the chart appears the first time, but if you tab to a different tab and then back it doesn't display the tab.  Works fine in FF2.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
                            Hollywood and Sanjiv,

                            For what it's worth (no big claims here), this does seem doable:

                            This approach works for me in FF2.0.0.13, IE 6 and 7, Opera 9.26, and Safari 3.1.

                            When I looked at this again this afternoon, I noticed that IE didn't need any special treatment -- so I forked around YAHOO.env.ua.ie to prevent IE from seeing the hack.  There are three things I dislike about this:

                            1. The fork is based on UA;
                            2. It modifies a private member of the chart's Tab;
                            3. The underlying fragility of the Chart isn't addressed.

                            That said, if you're looking to get this rolling right away, you may want to take a look.  If we come up with a better short-term solution, we'll let you know; meantime, we'll work on the underlying issue wrt to recovering from display:none and visibility:hidden on the Chart itself.

                            Regards,
                            Eric

                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 3, 2008
                                I have integrated YUI charts with GWT-Ext, which is a library based on GWT and Ext (duh!). You can have a look at a demo here : http://www.gwt-ext.com/demo-charts/

                                The charts now display well in tabs. Thanks for your help!

                                Unfortunately that technique didn't work for the pie chart and it blanked out when trying to refresh the data. Works well for other chart types.

                                Sanjiv

                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 3, 2008
                                  Sanjiv,

                                  Thanks for sharing the product of your labor -- looks really nice.

                                  -Eric

                                  Also updating data values in the Grid updates the charts. I used the method suggested here : http://tech. groups.yahoo. com/group/ ydn-javascript/ message/24652

                                  wrote:

                                  > It appears that Flash Player unloads and reloads a SWF (or the browser
                                  > removes Flash Player and reinitializes it) when a parent element's
                                  > display changes to none and then back to block. I've tested with both
                                  > the charts and a very simple SWF to determine that this has nothing to
                                  > do with the charts SWF itself.
                                  >
                                  > I should be able to detect this problem because the SWF will resend its
                                  > initializing events to JavaScript when it is reloaded. However, I need
                                  > to rework some of the JavaScript code to keep a full copy of the chart
                                  > state so that it may be reinitialized correctly. I expect this won't be
                                  > trivial.
                                  >
                                  > Josh Tynjala
                                  >
                                  > Yahoo! Flash Platform
                                  >

                                  > ____________ _________ _________ __

                                • dreamworker22000
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 16, 2008
                                    Just looking for a clarification on this, you mention may be fixed in
                                    next release, did you mean 2.6 or 3.0?

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 19, 2008
                                      dreamworker22000,

                                      We're planning to make two changes in 2.6.0:

                                      1. Charts will be able to recover from DOM manipulations that are currently causing breakage (it won't be unaffected, but it should be able to re-initialize itself to recover);
                                      2. We plan to modify TabView so that it doesn't apply display:none in JavaScript as a way of hiding tabs; at the very least, the "hidden tab" style will be a CSS class, making it easier to modify when something like this comes up (display:none is what breaks Charts in YUI Tabs).

                                      Regards,
                                      Eric