YUI Library: Monthly Roadmap Update

  • Eric Miraglia
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 20, 2006
      Monthly YUI Roadmap Update — June 2006:

      Not too much has changed since our May update.  We are continuing to look forward to the 0.11 release in the first half of July.  That release will contain updates across the board as the existing family of components continues to improve and mature — thanks in no small measure to your feedback and input.  We now have a high degree of confidence that the Logger Control will make it debut in the 0.11 release along with at least some integration in each of the existing components; we expect to refine the approach to logging within the components over time, but we think you'll find a lot of useful information is being written to the logs when you use the -debug build files in 0.11.

      The pipeline still includes the Tab Control, the History Utility, and the Button control, all scheduled for the 0.12 release.

      Next two release windows for YUI Library Beta:
      1.  Early July (v. 0.11)
      2.  September (v. 0.12)

      Projects in Development:
      1.  YUI Logger Control
      The YUI Logger will provide integrated and extensible logging support for any project based on the YUI library.  With the debut of Logger, YUI builds for each component will be accompanied by a -debug version that logs interesting moments and useful data points to the Logger automatically.  Logger will make it simple for you to add debugging messages to your own code, too.  Logger will support the excellent FireBug extension for Firefox, writing messages to the FireBug console even when the Logger UI is not present on the page.
      Projected Release: 0.11
      Confidence: High

      2.  Tab Control
      The Tab Control will provide support for a variety of tabbed-module implementations.
      Projected Release: 0.12
      Confidence: High

      3.  History Utility
      Managing the browser's history stack is critical to the creation of applications that are intuitive, usable, and sharable.  Currently, management of the History stack in applications based on YUI requires you to roll your own solution.  The History Utility will help facilitate this process by providing a simple interface for adding application states to the History stack during asynchronous interaction flows.
      Projected Release: 0.12
      Confidence: Medium

      4.  Button Control
      The Button Control will enable the deployment buttons with (1) diverse visual treatments (e.g., with or without images); (2) configurable actions (clicking can be tied to form submission or other custom functions); (3) integrated menus and submenus; .
      Projected Release: 0.12
      Confidence: Medium

      * * * *

      Note:  This roadmap projects our plans over the next quarter or so; in so doing, it makes assumptions about conditions that are naturally dynamic.  Some of the projects detailed here may be delivered earlier or later than we are currently expecting; some may not be delivered at all.  Other projects not listed here may be escalated during this period.  Use this document only as a rough guide; never rely on unreleased code listed here for any crucial needs.

      Regards,
      Eric

      Eric Miraglia
      Yahoo! Presentation Platform Engineering

    • Peter Michaux
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 20, 2006
        Hi Eric,

        Is there an idea about how many 0.* releases are planned or what stage
        of development will trigger a 1.0 release? And what will 1.0 mean?

        Thanks,
        Peter

        On 6/20/06, Eric Miraglia <miraglia@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >

        > 4. Button Control
        > The Button Control will enable the deployment buttons with (1) diverse visual treatments (e.g., with or without images); (2) configurable actions (clicking can be tied to form submission or other custom functions); (3) integrated menus and submenus; .
        > Projected Release: 0.12
        > Confidence: Medium
        >

        > * * * *
        >

        > Note: This roadmap projects our plans over the next quarter or so; in so doing, it makes assumptions about conditions that are naturally dynamic. Some of the projects detailed here may be delivered earlier or later than we are currently expecting; some may not be delivered at all. Other projects not listed here may be escalated during this period. Use this document only as a rough guide; never rely on unreleased code listed here for any crucial needs.

      • Eric Miraglia
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 20, 2006
          Peter,

          There will be several further beta releases prior to a public GA of
          the YUI Library. We aren't targeting a particular number or a
          specific date — just working toward a point where the library is
          providing a comprehensive UI foundation for rich interface
          development. Once we believe that a solid foundation is in place,
          we'll begin considering how to define our metrics for GA.

          -Eric

          On Jun 20, 2006, at 1:53 PM, Peter Michaux wrote:

          > Hi Eric,
          >
          > Is there an idea about how many 0.* releases are planned or what stage
          > of development will trigger a 1.0 release? And what will 1.0 mean?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Peter
        • Nige White
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 21, 2006
            Is it possible to have some kind of pre-release info about what these
            controls will be like?

            I'm under pressure to get the UI of our new app up to speed, and rather
            than roll my own tab controls - or use the tab JSP tag I wrote for our
            old web add-on, I'd like to at lease start writing the correct markup
            which can be transformed into working tabs.

            Same for buttons really. I don't want to get everything set up, writing
            JSP tags handlers, and a lot of script to provide our own
            implementation, and re-write them in September.

            I'm still putting off the re-write of our MenuBar/Menu/MenuItem tags to
            use YUI menus.

            Nige

            Eric Miraglia wrote:

> [...]
            > *Projected Release:* 0.12
            > *Confidence:* Medium
            >
            > * * * *
            >
            > *Note:* This roadmap projects our plans over the next quarter or so;
            > in so doing, it makes assumptions about conditions that are naturally
            > dynamic. Some of the projects detailed here may be delivered earlier
            > or later than we are currently expecting; some may not be delivered at
            > all. Other projects not listed here may be escalated during this
            > period. Use this document only as a rough guide; never rely on
            > unreleased code listed here for any crucial needs.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Eric
            >
            > *______________________________________________*
            > *Eric Miraglia*
            > Yahoo! Presentation Platform Engineering

            > This message has been checked for all known viruses. Virus scanning

            e-mail : hostmaster@...
          • Matt Warden

              Nige White wrote:
              > Is it possible to have some kind of pre-release info about what these
              > controls will be like?
              >
              > I'm under pressure to get the UI of our new app up to speed, and rather
              > than roll my own tab controls - or use the tab JSP tag I wrote for our
              > old web add-on, I'd like to at lease start writing the correct markup
              > which can be transformed into working tabs.
              >
              > Same for buttons really. I don't want to get everything set up, writing
              > JSP tags handlers, and a lot of script to provide our own
              > implementation, and re-write them in September.
              >
              > I'm still putting off the re-write of our MenuBar/Menu/MenuItem tags to
              > use YUI menus.

              Nige,

              This is already pre-release code. I know it's hard to resist the
              temptation to use it as if it were a final release, but certainly it
              would be rather easy to convince oneself that it is a good idea to avoid
              building code around a pre-release of pre-release code :)

              One idea might be to release the javadoc-like docs before the code
              release, though. Just a thought.

              - --
              Matt Warden
              Oxford, OH, USA
              http://mattwarden.com

            • Eric Miraglia
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 9, 2006
                Monthly YUI Roadmap Update — August 2006:

                The 0.11 release last month brought with it the Logger Control and a host of other improvements to the library, including dramatically improved performance in the Drag and Drop Utility, file upload in Connection Manager, and color animations in the Animation Utility.

                Beyond 0.11, the roadmap continues to hold to the course we've published in earlier updates.  The best of our current thinking with respect to the next two release windows is digested below.  The pipeline continues to include the Tab Control, the History Utility, and the Button control, all scheduled for the 0.12 release.  For releases beyond 0.12, we have some early explorations underway; of these, the project we're committed to getting on the roadmap is a table control, something we regard as crucial to any complete library and something we're excited to add to YUI.

                Next two release windows for YUI Library Beta:
                1.  August 21 (v. 0.11.3) — this will be a bug-fix update, addressing 0.11-release bugs in a variety of components.
                2.  Early October (v. 0.12)

                Projects in Development:
                1.  Tab Control
                The Tab Control will provide support for a variety of tabbed-module implementations.
                Projected Release: 0.12
                Confidence: High

                2.  Button Control
                The Button Control will enable the deployment buttons with (1) diverse visual treatments (e.g., with or without images); (2) configurable actions (clicking can be tied to form submission or other custom functions); (3) integrated menus and submenus; .
                Projected Release: 0.12
                Confidence: Medium

                3.  History Utility
                Managing the browser's history stack is critical to the creation of applications that are intuitive, usable, and sharable.  Currently, management of the History stack in applications based on YUI requires you to roll your own solution.  The History Utility will help facilitate this process by providing a simple interface for adding application states to the History stack during asynchronous interaction flows.
                Projected Release: After 0.12
                Confidence: We continue to investigate actively the best approach to this problem across the A-Grade.  We are pushing this back beyond 0.12 at this point based on what we've learned so far.

                4.  Table Control
                Dynamic tabular data controls are a common interactive treatment for data-intensive interfaces, going beyond simple table functionality to add features like dynamic sorting, editing-in-place, resizable columns, and more.
                Projected Release: After 0.12
                Confidence: Medium

                * * * *

                Note:  This roadmap projects our plans over the next quarter or so; in so doing, it makes assumptions about conditions that are naturally dynamic.  Some of the projects detailed here may be delivered earlier or later than we are currently expecting; some may not be delivered at all.  Other projects not listed here may be escalated during this period.  Use this document only as a rough guide; never rely on unreleased code listed here for any crucial needs.

                Regards,
                Eric

                Eric Miraglia
                Yahoo! Presentation Platform Engineering

              • russncraig
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 10, 2006
                  Very excited to hear about plans for a table control. If possible,
                  it would be marvelous to have something that supports or is
                  compatible with tbody scrolling in some way.

                  Irrespective, i applaud the work you've done already and look
                  forward to more.

                  russ

                  --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Eric Miraglia <miraglia@...>

                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 31, 2006
                    Eric Miraglia wrote:

                    > <>
                    > *Monthly YUI Roadmap Update — August 2006:*
                    >
                    > 4. Table Control
                    > Dynamic tabular data controls are a common interactive treatment for
                    > data-intensive interfaces, going beyond simple table functionality to
                    > add features like dynamic sorting, editing-in-place, resizable
                    > columns, and more.
                    > *Projected Release:* After 0.12
                    > <> *Confidence: *Medium

                    Sorry for the late reply. This control is really needed. All the
                    versions out there are lacking in features, or unreliable and flaky.
                    I've looked at a lot of them, and they all lose the plot after a while.

                    Several features are needed for a control like this to be fully usable:

                    * Have the table body scroll up and down leaving the headers static.

                    * Allow the table body to scroll left and right within a viewport and
                    have the headers follow it. Column resize should keep all other column
                    sizes the same, and expand/contract the width of the table body.
                    Backbase's listgrid squeezes the table body into the available width,
                    and resize squeezes subsequent columns.

                    * Allow access to the onscroll event of the table body, so that new rows
                    can be added using Ajax. Even better would be some kind of subscribable
                    "depletion" event which would fire when scrolling down, and there are
                    only a certain number of available lines below the viewport.

                    * Expose a method for adding rows for use from the onscroll/ondepletion
                    event hander.

                    * Moveable columns (with access to onmove event to save column order)
                    But have the add row method know about moved columns so that the
                    onscroll/ondepletion event handler does not have to re-order the
                    elements before calling the add row method.

                    I have some of those features working here:
                    https://secure0.forward-comp.co.uk/yui/examples/animation/table_datagrid.html

                    (The new row load does not take moved columns into account - I'm working
                    on that still)

                    Will the proposed control have any/some of these features?

                    e-mail : hostmaster@...
                  • Eric Miraglia

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 4, 2006
                        On 9/2/06, Eric Miraglia <miraglia@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks for the list; we'll certainly take this input into consideration as we build the tool. We're too early in the process to make any commitments on feature content for the initial release, but you can be sure that we take this kind of thoughtful input very seriously.

                        Any chance you could publish the API as it develops to see if people
                        have suggestions before it is written in stone?

                        Thanks,
                        Peter
                      • Eric Miraglia
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 10, 2006
                          Monthly YUI Roadmap Update — October 2006:

                          The YUI Library currently stands at version 0.11.4.

                          When I last published a roadmap update two months ago, we were projecting an October release for 0.12; that release has been pushed back to the first half of November.  The best of our current thinking with respect to 0.12 is detailed below; in summary, it's expected to feature the debut of the YUI Tab Control, enhancements to the Yahoo Object (methods supporting object extension and augmentation), major improvements to the Calendar Control API, and assorted bug fixes.  A YUI Button Control is well along in its development cycle; we expect it to be a part of 0.13, projected for December.

                          Beyond 0.13, taking us into 2007, we are focusing on three major areas:

                          1.  Additional core components.  I mentioned in August that we're working on a YUI Table Control/DataGrid; that is one of several core components we'd like to add to YUI.  The Table Control should be available by early next year and additional components will follow.

                          2.  Improved interface consistency.  Currently we support several different patterns for configuring and interacting with our controls.  In the next phase of development, we are looking to improve the quality and consistency of YUI interfaces across the board.

                          3.  Improved documentation.

                          + + + + + + + +

                          Next two release windows for YUI Library Beta:
                          1.  Early November (v. 0.12) — Tab Control, Yahoo Object enhancements (extension and augmentation of objects), Event Utility enhancements, significant Calendar Control API improvements, bug fixes.
                          2.  December (v. 0.13) — Button Control, bug fixes.

                          Projects in Development:
                          1.  Tab Control
                          The Tab Control will provide support for a variety of tabbed-module implementations.
                          Projected Release: 0.12
                          Confidence: High

                          2.  Button Control
                          The Button Control will enable the deployment buttons with (1) diverse visual treatments (e.g., with or without images); (2) configurable actions (clicking can be tied to form submission or other custom functions); (3) integrated menus and submenus; .
                          Projected Release: 0.13
                          Confidence: High

                          3.  History Utility
                          Managing the browser's history stack is critical to the creation of applications that are intuitive, usable, and sharable.  Currently, management of the History stack in applications based on YUI requires you to roll your own solution.  The History Utility will help facilitate this process by providing a simple interface for adding application states to the History stack during asynchronous interaction flows.
                          Projected Release: After 0.13
                          Confidence: We continue to investigate actively the best approach to this problem across the A-Grade.  We are pushing this back beyond 0.13 at this point based on what we've learned so far, but we remain interested in creating a reliable cross-browser solution for this problem.

                          4.  Table/DataGrid Control

                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 11, 2006
                            Eric, I assume you have been keeping up with Jack's developments in
                            these areas. Jack's Grid component is extremely well designed, flexible
                            and easy to use.

                            Will the YUI Grid be comparable or based on Jack's implementation? There
                            are already people using it, and it would be a shame to see a
                            "competition". While I would like to be fully YUI-standard compliant (to
                            place a lot of maintenance onus on the larger resources of Yahoo - I'm
                            the only UI dev guy here), I don't want to move away from the concepts.

                            What I particularly like is the MVC separation. This is something that
                            really facilitates flexible supply of data and metadata to the grid.

                            I think the YUI TreeView control is due a radical overhaul to move to an
                            MVC architecture too.

                            I also like Jack's "Element" abstraction of DOM elements into a powerful
                            object. His additions to the Function prototype are useful too.

                            Nige

                            e-mail : hostmaster@...
                          • Nige White
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 11, 2006
                              Nige White wrote:

                              >Eric, I assume you have been keeping up with Jack's developments...

                              Ah, erm, I've just visited yuiblog.com!

                              e-mail : hostmaster@...
                            • Ivan Lazarte
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 11, 2006
                                Maybe Jack should just be added to the dev team :) I'd rather have
                                the source of YAHOO related code consolidated so I don't get
                                competing functionality implemented in both libraries... It would be
                                the inevitable return of the fork problem.

                                --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Nige White <nigelw@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                earlier
                                > > or later than we are currently expecting; some may not be
                                delivered at
                                > > all. Other projects not listed here may be escalated during
                                this
                                > > period. Use this document only as a rough guide; never rely on
                                > > unreleased code listed here for any crucial needs.
                                > >
                                > > Regards,
                                > > Eric
                                > >
                                > > *______________________________________________*
                                > > *Eric Miraglia*
                                > > Yahoo! Presentation Platform Engineering

                                > > This message has been checked for all known viruses. Virus
                                scanning
                                > > powered by Messagelabs http://www.messagelabs.com For more
                                information
                                > > e-mail : hostmaster@...

                                > This message has been checked for all known viruses. Virus scanning

                              • Donald J. Sipe III
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 11, 2006
                                  I think the separation of Jack's code and Yahoo's code is important.  To me, I feel more comfortable incorporating Yahoo's tried and tested code into mission-critical projects.  Jack has done some amazing and wonderful stuff that is also well-tested and documented, but putting the Yahoo seal on it gives it all a greater sense of legitimacy.  This is especially helpful when you start incorporating YUI into the play-it-safe corporate environment, which still regards AJAX with standoffish skepticism.

                                  I think Jack is making great strides in pushing the envelope and advancing YUI to its full potential, but adoption and stability are critical.  People who might see building UIs in JavaScript as a liability want assurances it will work and that they can trust it. Telling them it's the same library that Yahoo uses on its own sites goes a long way toward soothing their nerves.

                                • Matt Warden
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 11, 2006
                                    On 10/11/06, Donald J. Sipe III <donald.sipe@...> wrote:

                                    > I think the separation of Jack's code and Yahoo's code is important. To me, I feel more comfortable incorporating Yahoo's tried and tested code into mission-critical projects. Jack has done some amazing and wonderful stuff that is also well-tested and documented, but putting the Yahoo seal on it gives it all a greater sense of legitimacy. This is especially helpful when you start incorporating YUI into the play-it-safe corporate environment, which still regards AJAX with standoffish skepticism.
                                    >
                                    > I think Jack is making great strides in pushing the envelope and advancing YUI to its full potential, but adoption and stability are critical. People who might see building UIs in JavaScript as a liability want assurances it will work and that they can trust it. Telling them it's the same library that Yahoo uses on its own sites goes a long way toward soothing their nerves.

                                    These are very good points. I am currently trying to get buy-in to use
                                    YUI, and it is clear to me that it would be nearly impossible to do if
                                    not for the Yahoo's backing of the project. Given Yahoo's reluctance
                                    to accept direct code contributions, I think they are probably aware
                                    and working to develop a contribution model that respects this.

                                    --
                                    Matt Warden
                                    Cleveland, OH, USA

                                  • Jack Slocum
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 11, 2006
                                      > I think the separation of Jack's code and Yahoo's code is important.

                                      I think that depends on how you look at it. Imagine if the code was part of the regular distribution and had the same resources and cycles for testing as the rest of the YUI code. That certainly couldn't be a negative thing. I not rallying for them to be joined, I'm just being hypothetical.

                                      > To me, I feel more comfortable incorporating Yahoo's tried and tested code into
                                      > mission-critical projects.

                                      I would too. This is completely understandable.

                                      > Jack has done some amazing and wonderful stuff
                                      > that is also well-tested and documented...

                                      Thank you.

                                      > but putting the Yahoo seal on it
                                      > gives it all a greater sense of legitimacy.  This is especially helpful when
                                      > you start incorporating YUI into the play-it-safe corporate environment,
                                      > which still regards AJAX with standoffish skepticism.
                                      > I think Jack is making great strides in pushing the envelope and advancing
                                      > YUI to its full potential, but adoption and stability are critical. People
                                      > who might see building UIs in JavaScript as a liability want assurances it
                                      > will work and that they can trust it. Telling them it's the same library
                                      > that Yahoo uses on its own sites goes a long way toward soothing their
                                      > nerves.

                                      I understand this as well. A lot of my development experience is in the manufacturing industry. They are as resistent to change as anyone. The Yahoo name has certainly helped me in that aspect as well.

                                      The reason my project started was because developing a large application with YUI only (no prototype or other libraries) requires a bit of "reinventing the wheel"  and "long hand" coding. The YUI utilities give you the perfect tools to do your JavaScript development independent of the browser, but for most application development it's nice to start with something more than that. This additional "plumbing" code has to be written by someone (unless you plan of repeating code over and over). IMO, it's better to use an extension that is tested by thousands of  developers than a homegrown solution especially if that code is also free.

                                      The Element, UpdateManager, and new DomHelper classes extend on that YUI foundation and provide a developer a time-saving API and some features that currently no other library provides (like automatic box model corrections, insertion optimization, auto-animations, etc). All the code is built on the solid foundation of YUI. I have learned to rely on these tools in my development and I can't tell you how many hours they save me. I make the code available on my site not to compete with Yahoo, but simply to follow Yahoo's example and share my work with others.

                                      Each project has it's own needs. For many projects the yui-ext code is overkill.  But that doesn't mean you should rule it out simply because it was written by me and isn't official YUI code.