RE: [ydn-javascript] Re: LinesCharts - Series color and markers

  • Josh Tynjala
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2008

      And you’re passing in the series definition with the “series” attribute on the chart?

      Example:

              var mychart = new YAHOO.widget.ColumnChart( "chart", salesData,
              {
                     series: seriesDef, // <- series definition
                     xField: "month"
              });

      You should see in the skinning example that setting the color works.

      http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/charts/charts-skins.html

      The example code at the bottom of that page doesn’t include the colors (I’ll be sure to update it), but if you look at the page source, you can see the series definition I used for that particular example:

              var seriesDef =
              [
                     {
                             yField: "pork",
                             displayName: "Sales of Pork",
                             style:
                             {
                                     image: "assets/tube.png",
                                     mode: "no-repeat",
                                     color: 0x2e434d,
                                     size: 40
                             }
                     },
                     {
                             yField: "beef",
                             displayName: "Sales of Beef",
                             style:
                             {
                                     image: "assets/tube.png",
                                     mode: "no-repeat",
                                     color: 0xc2d81e,
                                     size: 40
              ];

      Josh Tynjala

      Yahoo! Flash Platform

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2008
        Yep, both my series are drawing, just in the default colours, I've
        probably got a really obvious typo somewhere, but I can't spot it:
        http://karlaustin.com/test/chart.html

        Thanks
      • Josh Tynjala
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 2, 2008

          Karl, I added an empty style object to the second series, and it started working for me. Definitely a bug.

                var yData =

                [

                  {

                      displayName: "Bits In",

                      yField: "bin",

                      style:

                      {

                        size: 20,

                        color: 0x00ff00

                      }

                  },

                  {

                      displayName: "Bits Out",

                      yField: "out",

                      style: {}

                  }

                ];

          Josh Tynjala

          Yahoo! Flash Platform

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2008
            wrote:

            > Karl, I added an empty style object to the second series, and it started
            > working for me. Definitely a bug.

            and the worst thing? I want to style the other series anyway. Cheers
            very much for your help. Look forward to future improvements on the
            charts, would be nice to be able to combine lines with bars, or to
            have the option of shading the area under the line.
          • Josh Tynjala
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 2008

              You can build a combination chart with one series displaying lines and another with bars right now:

              See this example for implementation details:

              http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/charts/charts-datatable.html

              I will file a feature request for shading under a line (also known as an area chart).

              Josh Tynjala

              Yahoo! Flash Platform

              > Karl, I added an empty style object to the second series, and it started
              > working for me. Definitely a bug.

              and the worst thing? I want to style the other series anyway. Cheers
              very much for your help. Look forward to future improvements on the
              charts, would be nice to be able to combine lines with bars, or to
              have the option of shading the area under the line.

            • kdaws_karl
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2008
                wrote:

                > You can build a combination chart with one series displaying lines and
                > another with bars right now:
                >
                > See this example for implementation details:
                >
                > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/charts/charts-datatable.html
                >
                > I will file a feature request for shading under a line (also known as an
                > area chart).
                >
                > Josh Tynjala
                >
                > Yahoo! Flash Platform

                Thanks, will take a look at that. What would also be really handy, is
                to be able to draw arbitrary lines on the plot, straight across i.e.
                @2000 on the Y, draw a Red line, across the width, @1500 draw a yellow
                line all the way. At the moment as far as I can see, I'd have to add
                another item to the series, for each X value - which seems rather
                wasteful of resources, especially as I'm going to be plotting a
                minimum of 288 points and have 2 real series and 4 fixed lines.

                Thanks,

                Karl