Dialog Form Doesn't Submit

  • Del
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 2007
      I have been playing around with the dialog form for a looong time now.
      I could never get the form to submit for some reason and posted here
      about 6 months ago and never received a response so I am trying again
      with version 2.4.1.

      This time I even copied the example over to my server verbatim to see
      if the form would submit.

      For some reason it does not (still).

      I assume it has to do with:

      var handleSubmit = function() {
      this.submit();
      };

      All of the dependencies are the same as the example. No errors in
      Firebug. The form doesn't disappear after clicking submit -- nothing
      happens.

      Here is a live version of the example copied over:

      http://www.gabbr.com/bookmarks/indexYUI.php
    • Jing Ceawlin

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 31, 2007
          You are trying to submit the form to a server different from the one where
          the page is loaded. The connection manager cannot do that. That is the
          'same origin policy' that browsers enforce and there is little YUI can do
          (actually, now it does that little, but not yet with the form submission),
          it is a limitation on the XHR object which is what YUI eventually uses.

          >I have been playing around with the dialog form for a looong time now.
          > I could never get the form to submit for some reason and posted here
          > about 6 months ago and never received a response so I am trying again
          > with version 2.4.1.
          >
          > This time I even copied the example over to my server verbatim to see
          > if the form would submit.
          >
          > For some reason it does not (still).
          >
          > I assume it has to do with:
          >
          > var handleSubmit = function() {
          > this.submit();
          > };
          >
          > All of the dependencies are the same as the example. No errors in
          > Firebug. The form doesn't disappear after clicking submit -- nothing
          > happens.
          >
          > Here is a live version of the example copied over:
          >
          > http://www.gabbr.com/bookmarks/indexYUI.php
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > --
          > 30/12/2007 11:27

        • Deeþan Chakravarthy
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 31, 2007
            Del wrote:

            > I have been playing around with the dialog form for a looong time now.
            > I could never get the form to submit for some reason and posted here
            > about 6 months ago and never received a response so I am trying again
            > with version 2.4.1.
            >
            > This time I even copied the example over to my server verbatim to see
            > if the form would submit.
            >
            > For some reason it does not (still).
            >
            > I assume it has to do with:
            >
            > var handleSubmit = function() {
            > this.submit();
            > };
            >
            > All of the dependencies are the same as the example. No errors in
            > Firebug. The form doesn't disappear after clicking submit -- nothing
            > happens.
            >
            > Here is a live version of the example copied over:
            >
            > http://www.gabbr.com/bookmarks/indexYUI.php
            > <http://www.gabbr.com/bookmarks/indexYUI.php>

            I just saw your example, not sure why the form does not disappear..
            however you can force the form to disappear using javascript and then
            submit.. just extend your handleSubmit() function.. let me know if you
            find the solution..

            --
            Deepan
            http://sudoku-solver.net/
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 31, 2007
              >> I have been playing around with the dialog form for a looong time now.
              >> I could never get the form to submit for some reason and posted here
              >> about 6 months ago and never received a response so I am trying again
              >> with version 2.4.1.
              >>
              >> This time I even copied the example over to my server verbatim to see
              >> if the form would submit.
              >>
              >> For some reason it does not (still).
              >>
              >> I assume it has to do with:
              >>
              >> var handleSubmit = function() {
              >> this.submit();
              >> };
              >>
              >> All of the dependencies are the same as the example. No errors in
              >> Firebug. The form doesn't disappear after clicking submit -- nothing
              >> happens.
              >>
              >> Here is a live version of the example copied over:
              >>
              >> http://www.gabbr.com/bookmarks/indexYUI.php
              >> <http://www.gabbr.com/bookmarks/indexYUI.php>
              >>

              > I just saw your example, not sure why the form does not disappear..
              > however you can force the form to disappear using javascript and then
              > submit.. just extend your handleSubmit() function.. let me know if you
              > find the solution..
              >

              > --
              > Deepan
              > http://sudoku-solver.net/

              When the error is produced in the call to the XHR object to prime the
              connection to a foreign host, the error bubbles up to some try-catch block
              somewhere and skips the rest of the code for the form submit so it never
              gets to the hiding part. You can set the browser debugger to break on
              error, but it actually breaks on untrapped errors, which this is not.

              Satyam
            • Del
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 14, 2008
                Satyam,

                I guess I should have added that I have tried linking to the Yahoo!
                served js files as well -- same problem. See? :

                http://www.gabbr.com/bookmarks/indexYUI.php

                > You are trying to submit the form to a server different from the one
                where
                > the page is loaded. The connection manager cannot do that. That is
                the
                > 'same origin policy' that browsers enforce and there is little YUI
                can do
                > (actually, now it does that little, but not yet with the form
                submission),
                > it is a limitation on the XHR object which is what YUI eventually uses.
                >
                > Satyam

              • Del
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 14, 2008
                  extending handleSubmit() function shouldn't be the answer Deepan, it
                  should work regardless.

                  still doesn't:

                  http://www.gabbr.com/bookmarks/indexYUI.php

                  not sure why...

                  --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Deeþan Chakravarthy
                  <codeshepherd@...> wrote:

                  > Del wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I have been playing around with the dialog form for a looong time now.
                  > > I could never get the form to submit for some reason and posted here
                  > > about 6 months ago and never received a response so I am trying again
                  > > with version 2.4.1.
                  > >
                  > > This time I even copied the example over to my server verbatim to see
                  > > if the form would submit.
                  > >
                  > > For some reason it does not (still).
                  > >
                  > > I assume it has to do with:
                  > >
                  > > var handleSubmit = function() {
                  > > this.submit();
                  > > };
                  > >
                  > > All of the dependencies are the same as the example. No errors in
                  > > Firebug. The form doesn't disappear after clicking submit -- nothing
                  > > happens.
                  > >
                  > > Here is a live version of the example copied over:
                  > >
                  > > http://www.gabbr.com/bookmarks/indexYUI.php
                  > > <http://www.gabbr.com/bookmarks/indexYUI.php>

                  > I just saw your example, not sure why the form does not disappear..
                  > however you can force the form to disappear using javascript and then
                  > submit.. just extend your handleSubmit() function.. let me know if you
                  > find the solution..
                  >

                  > --
                  > Deepan
                  > http://sudoku-solver.net/

                • Satyen Desai
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 15, 2008
                    Hi Del,

                    Your http://www.gabbr.com/bookmarks/indexYUI.php example won't work.

                    You're posting an async request across domains [ from
                    http://www.gabbr.com, where you are hosting the page, to
                    http://developer.yahoo.com ] which is not permitted*

                    I don't know if this is also the problem with your original page, but on
                    the URL above, try changing the "action" of the form to post to a URL on
                    gabbr.com. That should work.

                    You can also set the "postmethod" config property to "form" to verify
                    whether or not this is the problem - this submits the form "the old
                    fashioned way" and is allowed to go cross domain.

                    Another reason the submit may not be going through on your original
                    page, could be that you have a validate function defined which doesn't
                    return "true".

                    If you still have trouble, can you post a URL to your original page.

                    Regards,
                    Satyen

                    * The exception which gets thrown in such circumstances is being
                    swallowed as a result of the submit code being invoked inside a
                    CustomEvent subscriber.