Datatable with 1 records data spanning 2 rows possible?

  • Andy Kington
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2007
      I'm constructing a datable with fields like: [name, date, phone, email, notes] I'd like to be able
      to put the notes field (colspan=4) in the row in the datable after the row containing all the
      other info.

      I can see it being possible by jamming a bunch of HTML via a custom formatter into a 1 TD
      per row datatable but I'd lose most of the functionality of having a datable in the first place.

      So is it possible to nest the schema somehow, silimar to how the column headers are nested
      in the nested headers example... well that wouldn't work :\

      But anyway is something like this possible?
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 30, 2007
        There is no built-in functionality to do what you want. What some people
        have tried (or at least commented on this list that would try, I don't know
        if they succeeded) was to let the DataTable draw all the regular columns and
        ignore the big one. Then, in a custom formatter for any of the columns that
        do get drawn, you add code to add a <tr> below the current with a single
        the features of the DataTable for four of the columns and you handle the
        fifth.

        Otherwise, does that big chunk need to be visible at all times? Can it be
        shown as a tooltip on hovering over the record? Could you add a button or
        icon for the user to click and pop a small panel with it?