[ydn-javascript] Continuous Update of DataTable

  • nihar bhatt
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 29, 2007

      I want my data table to be filled with data which is sent by my remote server but i want to poll the server after every 3 seconds.

      So eventually i want my data table would poll the server after 3 seconds and update itself continuously.

      My server is returning the data in a string format with ,(Comma) separated fields.

      So please do post some code or guideline

      Any Help would be appreciable

      Thanking You
      ntimesc

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 29, 2007
        Once you have built the DataTable, keep the reference to the DataSource, lets call it myDataSource, and you can do:

        myDataSource.setInterval(3000, myDataTable.get('initialRequest'),myDataTable.onDataReturnInitializeTable,myDataTable);

        I'm assuming that for each refresh you will repeat the same GET url arguments as for the first one, which might not be the case.  The string with the url-encoded arguments goes into the second argument to setInterval.  I'm reading the same used for the initial request, but you may change them to whatever your server might expect, though they can't be changed for each individual refresh.  If you need to change them, use method sendRequest (it uses the same arguments but the first) and with window.setInterval providing the timing so you have control over the argument in between refreshes.

        See:

        Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2007 5:37 PM
        Subject: [ydn-javascript] Continuous Update of DataTable

        Hi,

        I want my data table to be filled with data which is sent by my remote server but i want to poll the server after every 3 seconds.

        So eventually i want my data table would poll the server after 3 seconds and update itself continuously.

        My server is returning the data in a string format with ,(Comma) separated fields.

        So please do post some code or guideline

        Any Help would be appreciable

        Thanking You
        ntimesc

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      • nihar bhatt
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 29, 2007
          After creating myDataTable when I am writing following code which is described in one of the examples of YUI

          var num=myDataSource.sendRequest(" http://localhost:8080/beerv1/Data.do?item=infy"
                                      ,
                                      function(oRequest,oResponse) {

                                          alert("There are " + oResponse.results.length + "Data Item");
                                      },
                                      this

                                  );

          I am not getting the alert box displaying length of data. So once i cleared with this then i will go for setInterval.

          but for do you have any idea why this code is not working....

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 29, 2007
            You probably have an error response in oResponse (a property called error set to true) and no results property so when trying to check for oResponse.results.length you are getting an execution error. since results is undefined and doesn't have any length property.   Check your URL or the format of the response.  You can also listen to DataSource's dataErrorEvent.

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 29, 2007
              When trying the same ..... i am getting "Loading Data..." inside my table
              and then nothing gonna happened .....
              So could you help me why it is showing me this

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 30, 2007
                Not having access to your 'localhost' I wouldn't know.  Debugging is the only alternative.  Do you have Firefox with the Firebug add-on installed? It is the best combination for this kind of environment. That will tell you what's going on.  If you don't have experience with it, this is a good time to start.

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 2, 2008
                  after installing FireBug i found that Mozila Firefox is giving me following error
                  while accessing my servlet which is deployed on a local serve

                  'Permission denied to call method XMLHttpRequest.open' when calling method'

                  so please do post the solution

                  Thanking You
                  ntimesc

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 2, 2008
                    Are you requesting the data from the same host that you are requesting the page?  It is called 'same origin policy', you can search for that, it's even in Wikipedia.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 2, 2008
                      Finally I Solved the problem of "Permission Denial" but now a new problem arises

                      Now i am getting "No Records Found" error in the data table.

                      When i am trying to track the oParsedResponse in doBeforeCallback using alert function
                      and even in FireBug i am getting proper result, but in data table it is showing me "No Records Found".

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 2, 2008
                        No one can post a solution because nobody knows what your problem might be.  What you are doing is nothing exceptional, it shouldn't be hard.  So, unless you place it in a public place for people to see, there isn't much anyone can say.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 2, 2008
                          ok dear agreed ....

                          here is the simple source

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 2, 2008
                            Ok Dear I agreed   :) .... i have no problem to post the code in public
                            so here it is

                            <script type="text/javascript">
                            YAHOO.util.Event.addListener(window, "load", function() {
                                YAHOO.example.SData = new function() {
                                    var myColumnDefs = [
                                        {key:"CompanyName"},
                                        {key:"TName"},
                                        {key:"Open"},
                                        {key:"High"},
                                        {key:"Low"},
                                        {key:"Change"},
                                        {key:"Mics"},
                                        {key:"Volume"}

                                    ];

                                    this.myDataSource = new YAHOO.util.DataSource ("http://localhost:8080/beerv1/DataStock.do?");

                                    this.myDataSource.responseType = YAHOO.util.DataSource.TYPE_TEXT;
                                    this.myDataSource.responseSchema = {
                                    recordDelim: "\n",
                                    fieldDelim: ",",

                                        fields: ["CompanyName","TName","Open","High","Low","Change","Mics","Volume"]
                                    };

                                   this.myDataTable = new YAHOO.widget.DataTable("sdata",myColumnDefs, this.myDataSource, {caption:"DataTable Caption", initialRequest:'stock=infy'});

                                };
                            });
                            </script>

                            my servlet is returning a reponse in a following string format

                            INFY,INFY INC.,33.2,22.3,11.3,0.33%,34543

                            Above response is visible in FireBug and even in oParsedResponse of doBeforeCallback function....

                            ntimesc

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
                                Thanks !!! that was my fault...

                                Well now the scenario is

                                When Old data in a data table changes by the new Response at that time i
                                want to make a check ... like comparing values..... old with new and based on that i
                                want to change color of a particular cell.

                                like in Market watch for stock market......

                                if the rate of a particular company changes then we have to flash that cell to indicate the change in a stock price.

                                Hope you understand the problem

                                Thanks .....
                                ntimesc

                                On Jan 3, 2008 1:46 PM, Satyam <satyam@...

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
                                  The DataTable cannot help you with that, it will replace one set of data with the new one so you will have nothing to compare it with.  You can, though, separate the retrieval of data from its presentation so that you have a chance to process it (in this case compare it with a previous version of the same) and then provide it to the DataTable (with the extra 'color' information added) for it to display it.  Once the DataTable gets the data, it can use a formatter function on any of its columns to read the color information and paint the row whichever way you want it.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 30, 2008

                                    I'm using the "sortable" option on the datatable columns and the
                                    continuous update resets the sorting that was done by the user. Is
                                    there anyway to refresh the data and keep the existing sorting?
                                    Alternatively is there a way to make the server do the sorting?

                                    Thanks,

                                    -- Asaf.

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 30, 2008
                                      The sortedBy configuration attribute only signals the DataTable which column
                                      to highlight as sorted. You could use method sortColumn to sort the data
                                      again when it is received but doing it on the client side is not
                                      particularly efficient and will produce an extra blinking on the data. The
                                      best is to have the server do the sorting since database servers are highly
                                      optimized to do so. You can use the sortedBy configuration attribute and
                                      append them as arguments to the URL and have the server read them and modify
                                      the SELECT statement accordingly. You reach the sortedBy attributes with
                                      the get method: myDataTable.get('sortedBy') (get is inherited from Element
                                      so it is not documented along the DataTable).