New(?) idea for fast dragdrop library

  • Peter Michaux
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 15, 2006

      I have been working on new ideas for a dragdrop library. It started
      based on the Yahoo! ui dragdrop library but has changed almost
      completely. The main focus of my research is to create a much faster
      dragdrop library with greater levels of abstraction. I don't have to
      cache target regions at the start of each drag, I don't have to loop
      through potential targets with every mouse move. Both of these are
      perfomance killers when there are many targets.

      I've blogged about the main idea and posted some undocumented
      development code with a working example. More work needs to be done on
      my code but it looks like my idea works well.

      http://peter.michaux.ca/articles/2006/06/16/donut-dragdrop

      I'm hopeful a few ideas will catch the eye of some Yahoo! developers
      and find their way into the Yahoo! dragdrop library.

      Peter
    • Peter Michaux
      Message 32 of 32 , Oct 5, 2006
        Hi Tim,

        I've been having a great time with the implementation of the dragdrop
        library ideas you and I discussed. As I've experimented with and use
        these ideas in client work they have matured and I feel like they are
        getting to where you and I were hoping they would.

        http://peter.michaux.ca/article/51

        The examples on this blog page are from v0.1 of the library. If you
        want to checkout the svn you will see where I am headed for v0.2 which
        is very close. The library is super fast, extremely flexible, very
        small and the code has a nice appeal also. At least I think it does :)

        Peter